What's new

Bay Rum

Pros: Nourishing, inexpensive, natural, pleasant scent
Cons: Not a bay rum
This is a nice all-natural aftershave at a price few can beat. It's advertised as a bay rum but to me it was more of a Brut-ish, sweet, powdery scent. It's lighter than Brut and less old fashioned but it did bring it to mind. My wife likes it and says it smells "aftershavey" which is apparently a good thing. The scent goes on fairly strong but four hours later she can't smell it from a few feet away. I can smell it, though, so I'm not sure I'd wear a cologne over it. It has a very high alcohol content but contains a lot of good stuff for your skin. There's no cooling but it does kill the sting from shaving and didn't redden my neck, which is common for me. I'd say overall the alcohol is counterbalanced nicely in terms of drying.

The bottle is compact and plastic so it's nice to pack, but be aware that at 4oz. it is one ounce too big for TSA carry-on requirements. That's the only real shortcoming in my book.

Ingredients on my bottle: SD alcohol 40, witch hazel, aloe vera, yarrow, calendula, chamomile, elder flower bay rose, peppermint, lavender, lemon, essential oils
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Smell, price, availability
Cons: strong astringent
Great smelling aftershave, but strong alcohol burn that mellows into cooling after a few seconds.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice scent, leaves the skin fresh, cheap, good against razor burns
Cons: None other than a strong alcohol burn
This is indeed an excellent product. I've been looking around for an aftershave for some time now, one whose smell I enjoy and also keeps the skin fresh after a shave.
At first I wasn't too sure about the scent, but it has grown on me, and my girlfriend likes it too (when I use it, that is). The alcohol burn is quite strong, for me at least, but it blows over after a minute.
I picked it up from iherb.com, the price there is relatively cheap.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Effective, nice scent, good packaging
Cons: Intense burn, not a bay rum, a little drying
Price: At $5, the price is very fair for this type of product. Quality: Looking over the ingredients, I'd say the quality is very high. I also appreciate the compact plastic bottle with the shaker top and the screw cap. Fights Razor Burn: I would say this is going to work about as well as your average alc-based aftershave. While it will provide some temporary relief, it's not going to heal a badly torn up face. Cooling Sensation: There is none, because this product is not designed to have any type of cooling effect. Scent: It does smell pleasant, but it's not bay rum. Not at all. Instead you get somewhat powdery EO scent. I smell a bit of calendula and chamomile more than anything else. Honestly, I was very disappointed in the scent initially but now that I've gotten over that I appreciate it for what it is. Efficacy: Pretty good. It does what a decent alcohol based aftershave should. Moisturizing: None. In fact, I find it a little drying, even though I use alc-based splashes regularly. No Alcohol Burn: Yeah right. This stuff burns more than just about any aftershave I've tried. I'm honestly not sure if it's due to the alcohol content being quite high or the combination of EOs in this product. Whatever it is, if you've had a rough shave this stuff will let you know in a very un-subtle way. Overall, a decent aftershave, but the intense burn and the accompanying dryness it leaves my skin with cause me to seldom reach for it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Very nice scent! Effective! Witch Hazel
Cons: Pricey down under (like anything)
I have to confess that I’m not a Bay Rum fan. I always find that Bay Rum AS should be name Cloves instead. I already tried the HBG Sandalwood AS and it was pretty impressive. Once the bottle goes down a little, the scent of cheap vodka goes away. I transferred mine in a glass bottle and the Rum scent is stronger now.

I would describe the scent as being white rum, vanilla and spices. Unlike any other Bay Rum AS that I tried, this one doesn’t hit you with a clove scent which is good! It’s different! The Witch Hazel does wonder for the skin. The staying power isn’t that long, unfortunately, maybe 1-2 hours.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)