What's new

Baxters After Shave Balm

Baxter's is a thick, translucent liquid with a light lemon-menthol fragrance. It is soothing, cooling, lightly moisturizing. NOT sticky or greasy at all.

What do I like about this stuff? It has the positive attributes of a balm (soothing, moisturizing) AND those of a splash (cooling, clean and not at all sticky). Even after I've scraped myself badly, I don't get any burn from it. It seems good for my face.

Its moisturizing properties are light---it leaves skin clean and smooth but not oily.

I like its fragrance...wish it lasted a bit longer.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I tried this for the first time this morning. AOS unscented is my usual daily ASB and this is the polar opposite! It really is like a splash of ICE cold water. That feeling stayed for a minute or two then just smooth, relaxed skin. No irritation at all! I had expected some after this being my 4th 2-3 pass shave with a feather and had a little burn immediately after shaving. As soon as I put this on I got the cooling hit then by the time that wore off, no razor burn or irritation, AT ALL.

Now, 3 hours after shaving (and after-shaving :001_tongu) my face still feels mosturized but not sticky. Something I noticed is that somehow the ASB seemed to "lock in" the smell of my shaving soap. I can still get a pleasant, but occasional, whiff of my EJ Aloe every once in awhile. It's kinda nice.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Nice citrus scent though it is a tad bit slimy. Soothes irritation and is alcohol free. Quite chilling and good for a summer day.
I agree, this is top-notch stuff. Not crazy expensive but not cheap either. It is available in Canada in the round, sharp-edged bottle and not the tube. The cooling sensation is insane and may even be better (or worse depending on how you feel about it) than Proraso. The smell is very light and is gone rather quickly but is pretty lemony at first. All in all a great product that leaves my face feeling healed, cool, and soft. A little goes a long way too making the initial price seem even more reasonable.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Picked some of this up a little bit ago. I have used Baxter Shampoo and Conditioner and thought to give some of their shave products a try thinking they would be the same quality.

The ASB is amazing... I have used pretty consistently since picking it up and really like the menthol cooling it provides.

It is a bit on the pricier side, but the full 4 oz. for $15... Not the nivea price, but also not the T&H price.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Austin;16288 said:
Excellent product for the price.

Couldn't have said it better.

Good price, crazy cool on the face. One of my all-time favourite grooming products of any type.

Hate the new packaging though.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Baxter's is one of my favorites too. Two thumbs up.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Baxter's balm is an intense cooling (shockingly so on first application) and refreshing aftershave. A little goes a long way.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I ordered this from the Baxter of California website for fifteen dollars. It requires very little to cover the face so I felt the price was great. I also felt the quality to price ratio was supreme. It made my razor burn feel better, but not help so much to minimize its appearance, so I only rated that a six. The cooling sensation is incredible, just incredible. I would like to use it just for the relaxing feeling I receive from the cooling sensation and lemon-but-not-quite-lemon scent even when I have not shaved. I gave it a ten for efficacy. I have many after shave balms, mostly drug store balms, but many nonetheless, and this is the only one that did not cause me irritation. By irritation I mean red puffiness and often times darkening of razor bumps/burn. It does exactly what I want it to, and nothing I don't. I gave it a six for moisturizing because it did not really moisturize much but did not dry my skin out at all like many others do. I felt nothing I would attribute to alcohol burn. The initial sting was on par with the splash of cold water I apply after I finish shaving. A side note: I made a mistake when ordering the balm from Baxter of California's website, and sent an e-mail asking it to be changed. My e-mail was responded to the same day and I received the balm four days later (from Baxter to MA). Very happy with it overall.
I rather like the cool, minty, citrusy scent. It fills the bathroom for a bit, but fades quickly on your face. It is the most soothing ASB I have tried to date. There is some mild stinging for a minute after a bad shave, then it cools down and really takes the burn and redness away. My face feels great afterwards in a dry way. I don't really need a moisturizer most of the time, but I don't feel that this product really does much in that area.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
D
This stuff while cooling was not moisturizing at all and left skin very dry.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Nice stuff, especially after a rough shave.

I just wish I could still find it in the bottle rather than the tube.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Great stuff - feels especially good in the winter. No numbing agent, just a nice minty tingle which feels awesome

Not greasy at all and leaves no shine!:thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
One of the better products from the Baxter line. Nice scent, awesome cooling effect, but I didn't find it to moisturize that well. Really good on the hot humid days here in Louisiana.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Excellent product for the price.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Baxter's was kind enough to send me a handful of samples of the A/S Balm. The first time I tried it, I kept thinking Lemon Pledge! Wasn't much for the scent, but I did like the cooling effect that lingered for a bit. I've since passed the samples on in trades or pay it forward items, but only because I have a bottle of the stuff in my rotation.

If you have never tried it, it's definitely worth a look.

Randy
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Well, I got my sampler pack from Baxter a few days ago, and I am pretty impressed. The after shave balm is an interesting beast - I used it the first time without reading the ingredients, and WOW did I get a surprise. This stuff has menthol, and is extremely cooling.

Anyway, it is a gel consistency with a light citrusy scent which fades quickly. Immediately after putting it on, you are greeted by an intense cooling sensation. It feels like shoving your face into a bowl of ice cubes. After the shock wears off, it fades into a very cool, soothing feeling which is quite nice. After a few minutes, I was amazed at how supple my skin felt; I actually didn't require any additional moisturizing, which is unheard of for me. Really nice.

I just ordered a bottle from Men's Essentials, and threw in some other Baxters products for good measure (really liked my sample of the face wash also).

This is a really good product. I would be interested in comparing it to the Proraso lotion (sticking to the cooling theme), but I don't have any of it on hand.
Top Bottom