What's new

Baxter of California Super Close Shave Formula

Pros: easy to lather, feels good on face and close shave
Cons: none as of yet
Packaging instructions suggest using a badger brush. Decided to use a Vie Long 13061 horse hair brush.

This brush holds more lather compared to a badger and boar. Initially requires more product.

A few swirls and quick beautiful lather is created. Nice feel on face. Incredible close shave.

The price for 8oz. maybe a little high but imo its good value. The product line is used by a local barber product line for their shaves.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Tried a sample pack. Agree with previous observations that it's hard to get a good lather. But perhaps you're not meant to lather it? Just slap it on your face? However, I didn't get that far. The smell put me off. I can't quite put my finger on it, nothing natural or pleasant (like some weird cosmetic smell) so I washed it off without even shaving.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
1.00 star(s)
Price : this stuff was not cheap @ $35 Australian, but I was after something that I could use brushless, so ponied up for some.

Quality : it is a quality cream for sure. I can get away with being somewhat careless & it provides excellent protection for my skin - exactly what I was after in a brushless cream, something to use when Im in a hurry.

Scent : hmmm, not the best.Smells like hand moisturiser / suncream.

Latherability : I couldnt lather this stuff in the traditional sense, so thats why Im rating it a 5, because after smearing it around my face, then adding a bit of water to my hands & going over the cream it seemed to "come alive" so to speak.

Efficacy : This stuff is great for a smooth shave, no question there.
It protects, as well as provides plenty of glide.It does dry out quickly on your face though.Slap a bit more water on & youre good to go.I can get 2 passes out of this stuff without adding any more cream to my face, just by adding water & rubbing the remnants of the cream around a bit.

Oh yeah, I used Proraso pre / post before applying this stuff.seemed to help

Moisturizing Properties : well, it smells like a moisturiser & works like one too!
almost didnt need any aftershave...

Packaging : Utilitarian.Gets the job done.Perfect.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
where do you buy it ?
Price - About $16 for a 10oz bottle. Pretty good in my opinion.

Quality - This is a very high quality cream. I was very impressed with it.

Scent - Very pleasant. Its nothing astounding, but it has a nice minty type of smell.

Latherability - Unfortunately, this is where the cream falls short. I really wish I could use my brush with this cream, but it just doesn't lather much. I usually just apply this with my hands.

Efficacy - I consistently get an excellent shave from this product. I highly recommend it if your looking for a brush-less cream.

Mousturizing Properties - They seem pretty good. I still have to apply after shave, but thats due to my sensitive skin.

Packaging - Comes in the standard blue bottle that Baxter uses. It functions, which to me is all that matters.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
0.00 star(s)