What's new

Bargain shaving scuttle

I'll add my critique before it gets buried in the General Shaving Discussion thread. It rates a perfect score from me because it does everything it is supposed to do.

Becker (Robert's Ceramic Feats of Clay) Small Scuttle
I both used and tested the Becker (Robert's Ceramic Feats of Clay) Small scuttle; Georgetown Pottery G5 scuttle; Moss Large scuttle; Schwarzweisskeramik Small scuttle; Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle.

They all work well, and the final decision should be a matter of personal taste. I heated 3 cups of water in my microwave oven for 4 minutes for a temperature of 165 degrees F. The water is then poured into the scuttle to test heat retention.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Fast Facts:

* Purchase Price: $13.00
* Purchased from: Robert Becker's ebay store
* Special features: lid (to keep soaps moist between shaves)
* Reservoir capacity: 7 3/4 ounces
* Primary strength: performs as well as much more expensive scuttles
* Primary weakness: inside diameter of lathering area restricts you to a brush of 22mm or smaller

Heat retention (165-degree water initially introduced into scuttle):

* After 5 minutes: 145 degrees F
* After 10 minutes: 140 degrees F
* After 15 minutes: 134 degrees F
* After 20 minutes: 130 degrees F
* After 25 minutes: 130 degrees F

Dimensions of scuttle:

* Height: 4" (without lid)
* Base width: 2 1/8"
* Width on top: 3 1/2" (4 1/2 with spout)
* Inside diameter of lathering area: 2 13/16"
* Depth of lathering area: 3 1/8"
* Texture of lathering surface: cross hatched
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
I ended up going with one of Robert Becker's Feats of Clay scuttles. Mine is with his improved handle in lava slate gray sized between a Moss small and large. Holds 12+ oz of water in the jacket. Overall size is 4" x 4". Both vertical and horizontal ridges within the inner bowl (3" dia x 3" high: same size as most mugs). Very pleased with this piece for under $20 delivered.

BTW he told me he started making these last October at the suggestion of someone who is a member here. He has 5 sizes/styles that he lists for sale on eBay. After just reading a Moss for sale thread where the seller commented that it just didn't add that much to his shaving experience, going with one from Becker as a sanity check would seem to be a sound option as well as for anyone who wants a well made less expensive alternative to the major players. Highly recommended!

Here's the link to mine: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350320951107

His listings change often with new scuttles being added and sold all the time.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
3.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
This is a very nice inexpensive scuttle. I have the large size, which was $30 w/shipping. Holds a good amount of water in the bottom and stays warm for a good few passes. Has a nice large bowl easy in which to later. But, does take up quite a bit of counter space; the large size is pretty large. Robert does a nice job and these are very well made. At this price point I can't see a better deal out there. Communication and shipping is first rate and the package was well done and probably could have been thrown from the curb at the house without the scuttle breaking. I have not had it long enough to rate durability, but it looks like it will outlast me.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
1.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
Just like Saltysteele, I purchased a Becker scuttle on ebay recently. I ordered the small size, and with my smallish Rooney 3/1 Super Badger brush I can generate lather in the scuttle but its not ideal. My goal with my scuttle is to keep the pre-lathered brush warm, as I already have a perfered bowl that I hold in my palm and generate it that way, or face lather if using cream. I like it a lot and it can't be beat for the price. +1 on Robert's communication, it was a pleasure dealing with him.

I took some quick photos of the scuttle with a brush inside as requested...not the best photos but you'll get an idea of the size of the "small". Keep in mind my brush is fairly short, total height is only 3.5", the same approximate height of a Fatboy razor.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hope this helps. Good luck in your search. There are several active posts on scuttles here at B&B, do a search and I am sure you will find what you are looking for.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
here is the link to the scuttle i purchased.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350304567935&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

if you contact robert, he'll let you know when he is planning on listing more scuttles. you have to be quick, though, they don't last long. he let me know the day he listed a new batch, and they were flying off the site already.

he's a very cool dude (as apparent above), and it shipped and arrived quickly.

btw, you can kind of see it in the pic, but he has etched grooves in the sides and also bottom, for lather building

i love mine. the large size is flippin huge. i bet i could probably fit my slim adjustable on it's side inside the mouth.

works great, highly recommend!
These do look great, but i would be interested in high res pictures with perhaps a brush or razor for size comparison. Are these on the site somewhere?
I too, bought this scuttle on ebay. I waited with great anticipation for the day to arrive when I could FINALLY try it out. I saved some special sopa to put it. My 9 year old son had JUST finished taking one of his marathon showers and there was barely any hot water left for me, let alone a shave. Inspiration struck, I heated the electric kettle and pour the water in. Horror of horrors my soap began to disappear. I lost and entire brand new cake.
So WHY am I giving this such a high rating? This is the rest of the story.I was talking to a potter friend of mind and moaning about my loss of soap etc.Being a good friend she (having been shown his ebay store) contacted Robert. He was appalled and dismayed that this had happened. His response was an immediate heart-felt apology and a no questions asked guarantee on his product. The upshot is this: I now have in my possession a perfect replica of the one I bought originally.It is flawless and it came in a fast manner.Through the process he has checked to see that I am perfectly satisfied. He is a class act. Will I buy from him again..YES! In this day and age it is becoming harder and harder to find someone so committed to quality and craftsmanship. You may spend more for a scuttle and you may get personal service, but I am very satisfied with mine. Give him a try!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Well made, affordable, works great
Cons: Nothing to complain about
I purchased this large scuttle from the potter through E-bay, It arrived well packaged about one week from purchase date. The scuttle is 6 inches across by 5 inches tall. The handle is large enough for two finger use. The lather bowl is a nice 5 1/2 inch wide by 4 inch deep ribbed bowl. On the first use, I filled the resevior with boiling water from an electric kettle, the odd pinging noises concerned me so I stood back and waited until they stopped. Upon inspection the glaze had hairline cracks in it but no damage to the vessel itself. Apparently the glaze was too thick or wasn't cured properly, or both. The first run was with good ole prorasso, the first lather whipped up nice and was amazingly hot and relaxing. By the time I went for a second pass the lather was chalky and dry. After several trials I've found that pre-heating the scuttle with boiling water for about five minutes, emptying, refilling with hot tapwater ,about 140 F, will provide a nice warm/hot lather that doesn't dry out as quickly. This scuttle is not the cream of the crop asthetically but for the price, especially for this size I feel it is well worth the money. It holds the heat very well, filled with boiling water, 30 minutes later the lather bowl was still very hot to the touch. Highly recommended for a first scuttle, especially if one is unwilling to spend $60.00 or more just to try one.
picture.php
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance