What's new

Barc Cutting Up (Skin Saving) Shaving Cream

I purchased barc's Cutting Up because of its stated abilities to reduce irritation (redness) and ingrown hairs (razor bumps) etc. Not to mention the glowing reviews here on B&B and elsewhere. In obtaining a comfortable shave, the cost of the cream is unimportant to me, so I marked it N/A. I used it and the Bump Down lotion per label instructions for two weeks to arrive at the conclusion that this is surely one of the best unscented shaving creams available. Though the packaging is plain, it provides rich, creamy meringue-like lather; is very moisturizing and shaves very smoothly. It also has no scent of it's own so I have no concern that it will burn or clash with any other scent I choose to wear. That said, I still have the redness as before. [Perhaps I should quit drinking for a few days? :eek:]

I recommend Barc's Cutting Up and continue to enjoy it's creamy richness in my regular rotation.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Barc has a permanent spot in my shaving rotation. It is simply the best fragrance free shave cream I've used.

Price: Not that cheap at $20, but worth every penny. Its lather capability makes it very economical.

Quality: Amazing. Lathers well, softens beard hair, feels great on the skin, does not dry out.

Scent: unscented

Latherability: lathers incredibly well with my C and E badger brush. It also lathers well with boar and synthetics too.

Efficacy: gives me a super slick shave with no irritation or bumps afterward. The boswellia seratta extract acts as a good anti-inflammatory agent.

Moisturizing: not as good as other top quality creams out there, but still better than most.

Packaging: some might scoff at the plastic container and tacky print, but since the shaving cream works so well for me, i dont care that much.

definitely pick this up if you can
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
In my area this stuff is a bit pricey so it's rated accordingly.

Overall it shaves very well. Good lather, and it likes my face. A number of soaps and creams cause tingling irritation on my face and neck-- but not this one.

Packaging -- Visually pretty ugly. The jar is made out of very thin and bendy plastic, which makes it feel really cheap.

Scent -- Frankly I think the other two guys are off their rockers if they think this is unscented or 'almost' unscented. This stuff STINKS. It's like sprinkling old, damp, campfire ashes all over the bathroom. Blech!

Anyways, if you can, take a sniff before you buy.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I've been using this cream for a week now and love it. I have used Proraso, Nancy Boy Replenishing, and T&H West Indian Limes, and this is the best of the bunch.

First off this product is unscented. I can't smell it at all, maybe if I really try I can detect just a whiff of smell, like a similar smell to Proraso, but 1/20th as strong. The cream is whipped and very airy in the tub, the tub itself is the same diameter but about 20 percent taller than a T&H tub, and is packed to the brim with product, yet only contains .2 oz more than T&H's tub which is about 85 percent filled to the brim. So it is a lot less dense. I just touch my brush to the cream and it picks up all I need. This stuff lathers like crazy. Easily the most, and best lather I have ever had from any shave cream. The shave is good too, was able to do a two pass with no irritation, which I had never been able to do before. The packaging is a plain white tub with a blue lid and sticker on it, nothing fancy, but I'd rather pay for the product than the packaging anyways. And as far as price goes, at $20.00 for a 6 oz tub from Men Essentials the price isn't as good as Proraso or Nancy Boy, but still better than T&H, and for the quality of the product I think it is a great value.

Here is a thread http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=46484 about this cream in the forums.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This stuff is simply awesome. I am not one of you shave geeks that is interested in having 50 products to rotate. I am just looking to a few good ones to wife up. I have been rotating Proraso (Green Tube), C&E Sienna, Jack Black Beard Lube, Anthony Logistics for Men Shave Cream, AOS Unscented, Kiehls Blue Eagle (my previous go to cream) and Clinique Cream Shave. This Barc stuff is just a cut above the rest and will be my new go-to cream, with AOS being a close second. C&E Sienna is great too and I love the smell. I like the Proraso because it is a great value. I currently use it for traveling, but I don’t think it is in the same class as Barq, AOS or C&E. I am a shaving brush/DE convert so I won’t be using any of the other creams any more since they are brushless.

The Barc cream produces bountiful thick lather and when I am shaving with it, it barely feels like the blade is touching my skin. Yet I know it is because it's cleaning up every inch of the cream in each pass. The result is a smooth, comfortable, nick-free shave the likes of with I have never experienced.

The only drawback to this cream is the unappealing packaging, which is a non-issue to me. Also, some shavers may prefer a more odorous potion. The Barc has a nice simple clean smell, along the lines of Proraso but much more subtle. This is fine for me because I don't want really want to smell my shaving products. If you live in DC or ATL you can get Barc products locally at The Grooming Lounge.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)