What's new

Barc Bump Down

Price: While the upfront cost of $20-25 for the regular sized bottle (they do have a travel size in some stores) may seem expensive, this stuff is concentrated and a little bit will last a LONG time.

Quality: I don't really know what exactly to look for in terms of quality but for the most part is seems to be decent.

Moisturizing: This is the only thing I found this product to do well...This cream is quite moisturizing, especially compared to some other razor bump treatments....with that said, the scent is so offensive, you will never want to use it as a moisturizer.

Scent: Although the mfg. claims this to be unscented, I found it to have the ABSOLUTE WORST scent out of any skin product I have come across, let alone purchased!! To me the scent is offensive when I am wearing it on myself....I cannot imagine what people around me would think if I wore this stuff in public. In all honesty, this has a VERY familiar scent which for the sake of offending people, I will not go on about this. Based on the scent ALONE, I would NOT recommend this product.

Efficacy: Honestly I didn't find this stuff to be effective in the least...with that said, because of the intolerable scent, I used it for probably no more than two days. From what I hear it is supposed to help with ingrown hairs but I cannot validate this at all.

Packaging: Nothing extraordinary, just a regular bottle.

Bottom line is that I would not recommend this product based purely on the scent. In terms of effectiveness, this product failed me. In short, if you suffer from ingrown hairs, get Anthony Logistics product or even Black Opal instead of this stuff.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
My experience of barc is that the product itself isn't so bad. It works fairly well. I found it to be the worst smelling product I've ever put on my face. I just can't use it because of that. It does have quite a sting to it, too.

Luckily, after improving my technique and some products I don't need to use it.

I've heard of people getting very good results from Barc.
For those of you who suffer from razor bumps, you know they're embarrassing, frustrating, and sometimes, painful. I see them as "acne of the neck" because they are just as ghastly. I have curly, wiry hair and always avoided using a razor because of my fear of a razor bump eruption. Of course as a DE shaver, my post-shave irritation is minimal but I am still one bad blade away from an outbreak. As a result, I always kept a bottle of Tend Skin Solution with my shaving gear. However, it smelled horribly, it was too drying, it wouldn't react well to my other post-shave products, it bleached my clothes, and worst of all, it didn't work all the time!

Enter Barc Bump Down. The company's description: Bump Down is an alcohol-free razor bump repair treatment formulated with glycolic acid and triclosan to help reduce unsightly ingrown hairs and reduce irritation from shaving. Also enriched with chamomile extract and glycerin to calm the skin and leave you hydrated. To relieve razor bumps, massage Bump Down onto affected areas twice a day until you see noticeable improvement. To help prevent razor bumps, apply daily to dry skin immediately after shaving.

On to the review...

Price: It ranges from $6 for 0.5 fl. oz. to $20 for 3.4 fl. oz. I purchased two 3 fl. oz. bottles for $16 each from an e-tailer. The price is very reasonable because you only use a pea-sized amount. As opposed to a quick drying liquid, you can really massage this into your skin and make it count. It comes in a very convenient push-top bottle. You can be very precise in how much you need - no wasting. Unlike Tend Skin, there is no expiration date to these products so 3 fl. oz. should last at least 9 months.

Quality:
This product was formulated so that you wouldn't need an aftershave. Thus, it is thick, rich, and most of all, very moisturizing. I use my alcohol aftershave splashes anyway but they are not necessary. If you are adverse to alcohol, no worries because this product does not have any. The Glycolic Acid can give you a burn though. I use an alum block before I apply it and the alum block takes the brunt of the sting. While Barc doesn't have any added scents, it is not truely unscented. It does have a medicated smell but as it dries, that will go away.

Efficacy: So does it work you ask? I had a bad Futur experience and went for this. It took two applications - I shave in the evening so once after shaving and once the next morning - for my bumps to be thoroughly reduced. By my next shave, they were barely noticeable. While this could've cleared me up completely in 24 hours, I shave everyday so that didn't give my skin enough time to completely heal.

How I use it: My post-shave routine always includes the alum block, no matter what. Its antiseptic qualities make it indispensable for me. After drying my face, I splash on my aftershave. After that dries, I put very little Barc on my fingers and massage it into my skin. Next is my moisturizer with SPF protection.

Caution:
  • This can bleach your clothing so massage it very well into your skin and allow it to air dry!!!
  • You must wear sunscreen. I have a moisturizer with SPF protection that I wear already. If you don't, you'll have to start with this product.
  • Good technique is still the best cure for razor bumps. But until you perfect that, this should help!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)