What's new

Badger and Blade Essential Brush

Naturally, for us new Folks, the question is, 'When will B&B offer a new Brush this good?' And, how will we know it -- via auto-notification of such special occasion?

Also, how about just placing another order for the best of B&B items of the present & near past, so everybody would get another chance for them? Hopefully, they are not to be considered mysterious, vanity Limited Editions ... the which I have never understood, whether with Fountain Pens or anything else, for, what's the point of excluding others from owning an advancement in quality, other than for v-a-n-i-t-y, me-thinks an unworthy rationale?

Appreciations,

PS: I've the August Special at Straight Raisor Design snagged for purchase on the first -- it's an oiled wood with a 28 mm Knot. http://straightrazordesigns.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=53&zenid=7014e3b103c4c0dd73cae01fa7a0cf55 Anybody pick one up -- and are y'all satisfied with their business? In fact, it sure would be useful to know what Shave Supplies stores stand behind their products and offer only top notch grade items right up front with integrity ... One gathers that Em's Place is one such store, how about naming the Top Ten available online. please?
This is a great brush. At this price point it is hard to beat. One of the best in my badger stable. I've had the opportunity to try both v1 and v2. I would highly recommend either. For the money it is hard to beat. This is a fantastic soap brush!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Note -- These comments apply to the BBE v2.

Price - Clearly one of the best values going, if you were able to snag one.

Quality - I had one of the v1 BBE brushes, and these aren't quite as good. Still an excellent value, but not quite on par with the first batch. As Joel has acknowledged. Still an excellent brush, tho'.

Density - For me, perfect. I sold my BBE v1 because I found it to be too dense; I couldn't effectively generate lather. I'm fine with dense & short-bristled, but dense & long bristled isn't for this face-latherer.

Stiffness of Tips - I like it. This isn't a short-bristled brush, but the hair has a nice resilience.

Softness of Tips - That said, the brush is a bit 'scritchy'.

Ergonomic - Outstanding. This handle is terrific. Love the 'matte' plexiglass. Great texture, great size. And good for either face or bowl (tho' I only use the former).

Latherability - Most excellent. Does what it's supposed to do, and does it well.

I commend Joel & Co. for creating this brush & making it available to forum members.
(I just hope that the badger funk goes away sooner rather than later.)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
Ah, a review of the B&BE, of course!

My Lord, what a brush.

Price: Exactly what it was aimed to be. Ya get a lot more brush than you pay for. A lot.

Quality: I have used mine nearly daily for a few months now. Yes, it shed during the break-in period. It still loses a hair occasionally. No matter, with a knot this dense it could lose a hundred more and still be a thick bloom. So you dig the stray hair out of your soap. If you're digging in Tabac, you get a nice scent under your fingernail for a couple hours.

Stiffness/softness: Near perfect to my mind. Stiff enough to face lather soap as I do; soft enough to be a luxurious experience doing so. Serious density. Makes my C&EBB seem like a malnourished, scratchy beast by comparison.

Handle is perfect for my use. I put the butt into my palm and keep fingertips at the base of the knot. No comfort issues doing this.

The brush holds lots of water and whips up a thick, moist lather.

A tip of the hat to our gents who wrote the specs for this brush. A taste of champagne at a beer price. Highest possible rating.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
4.00 star(s)
So here it is my first of review of the B&B Essential. Price I feel was right on. Quality, is good, but mine has a little bit of glue mishap around the knot. Oh well she is still functional, and looks good doing it!
Density, well I am comparing to a Burma-shave and a VDH, so I think this puppy has some density, lol.
Stiffness and Softness of tips, this baby bears porridge to me. It is just right.
Ergonomic, well I love the handle, I know that much.
Latherability, well we don't have have a setting that goes to 11. I have never made lather like this in my life. I had so much lather I didn't know what to do.
I guess use less cream?
With Penhaligon's shave cream-
displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Very,very impressive brush! More so because of the cost.

On to soaps-

I used the BBE brush with QED Sandalwood today-

displayimage.php

This brush is a water hog,

displayimage.php

Loaded up with that sandalwood goodness,
displayimage.php

A little water,
displayimage.php

some more water and work,
displayimage.php

Pretty good job of it,
displayimage.php

That should do the job,
displayimage.php

Ahh, another great shave!

displayimage.php

As Joel showed multiple grips are possible with this brush, this is most comfortable for me.

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Handle
A very interesting choice- I do like the frosted look as a change of pace and the brush is the least slippery to hold of any of my brushes in rotation.

Knot
Super, a great dense knot- This knot is whiter and softer then any other “best” I have used. From a performance standpoint it’s terrific. Easily whips up great mounds of lather, soap and or a cream and is very nice on the face. This brush lost 3 hairs in two days of consecutive shaving / heavy testing.

Conclusion
A very impressive brush- It works and feels better than a lot of brushes I've used that cost twice the price of the BBE. It’s a winner!

:badger:

Discussion here~
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)