What's new

Badger & Blade Limited Edition 2008

Item Description

I was lucky enough to score one of the brushes from the B/S/T. Initially, when I saw these brushes I wasn't very interested and passed on the group/limited buy. A 20.5mm knot? Forget it, too small. After seeing all the pictures of these very stately looking brushes, I had to try one.

(Joel's picture, for more pictures look here)
displayimage.php

Handle: Absolutely, positively, no questions asked the best handle I have ever, well, held. Form and function. Form - the handle has a very sexy and slim look, beautiful, and complements the hair (knot) nicely. Function - very comfortable and long! Usually, brushes with small knots have obnoxiously tiny little handles that I have trouble holding onto ... this one is very comfortable and keeps your hands dry.

Knot Density: Dense enough! So many at B&B are looking for the absolutely densest, couldn't possibly pack another hair into the knot, brush. Fine, but these dense brushes tend to hoard the lather and require a squeeze of the knot to release the lather. I find this attribute of uber-dense brushes rather annoying. The B&B LE '08 is, my opinion, perfectly dense, meaning I am not constantly fighting the knot for the lather from the $20+ puck of soap, but yet there are enough hairs in the brush so it doesn't look like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree :tongue_sm

Loft Height: Perfect, for this hair. If the hair on this brush was longer I think the brush would be floppy. I am a soaper and this brush lathers the hell out of soaps.

Knot size: As I mentioned earlier, I passed on this brush initially because of the knot size, my bad. I don't know if it is the bloom, but this little brush acts more a 22mm or 23mm brush, to me. I couldn't be happier with the size. Agile enough for the soap dish without making a mess, but yet it doesn't feel like I am lathering my face with a Q-Tip.

Bonus - I really like the looks of the Kent stamp and the red Kent case. These small things really provide an overall regal effect.

To all of those involved with the design and manufacture of these brushes ... BRAVO! I cannot wait for the encore.

Some additional comments regarding the ratings
Price: If this brush was readily available I think $140 would a bit expensive. However, for such a unique limited issue item the price is a drop in the bucket.

Quality: What more can I say? This brush exemplifies quality ... fit for a king!

Density: See my above comments. Again, some might not find this brush dense enough, but please do not take that to mean that this brush is lacking in the density department.

Stiffness of tips: The tips on this brush are not overly stiff ... it's a lover, not a fighter :wink:

Softness of tips: Initially, I was disappointed with the softness of the tips. I expected, er ... assumed, the tips were going to extremely soft (you know what happens when you make an assumption, right?), but they were just a tiny little scritchy. After several uses the tips were broken in nicely and the scritch was gone!

Ergonomic: I wish I could have rated this much, much higher than 10, nuf said.

Latherability: Awesome! This little monster whips up enough lather for 3 passes + touch ups without blinking an eye. Soap or cream, it gets the job done. I'll say it again, I don't fight this brush for the lather; it just continues to provide creamy goodness! :thumbup1:

Discuss HERE

Latest reviews

Well I was lucky enough to score one of these on BST a couple weeks back and thought I would post up another review.

Price: I paid $150 which I think is about what they retailed for when they came out. Some may say that this is expensive, but I maintain that what matters for this category is what you obtain. To me, this brush was worth every cent, so it gets a 10 in my book.

Quality: Really shines through here. The handle is sweet, the hair is sweet and everything about this brush says quality.

Density: Not the densest brush I own, but it is definitely not lacking. Some people want super dense brushes, but I find that those don't release lather as well. The density is just about perfect on this brush.

Stiffness: Short loft that gives excellent backbone. If you face lather soaps, then this is a thing of beauty.

Softness: Did I say face lather soaps....well this brush is one of the softest brushes I own when put on the face.

Ergonomic: Hands down, the best handle of any brush I own. Enough said.

Latherability: Lathers like a dream for face lathering and releases lather just as well. I can always get enough for 4 passes from this brush.

Overall: Is you see one of these pop up on BST, snatch it up quick. This is really my favorite badger brush and was worth every penny. If I didn't have an incurable SBAD disease and could only own one brush, this would be it. This brush is just so full of "win" Too bad Kent doesn't offer anything remotely like this in their regular brush offerings.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
D
I just realized I never posted a review on this brush. It is by far the best brush I have ever used, period. My tastes are a little cheaper as this is also the most expensive brush I have ever used. That said I have a Shavemac which when new was priced equally to this LE brush, but I was fortunate to pick up the Shavemac on clearance. The Kent easily walks all over the Shavemac.

I have recently become a big boar bristle fan as the brushes seem to work very well with soaps. The main reason for this is the bristle stiffness. Well guess what, this Kent's badger knot is so dense that it loads soap just the same. Yes it is not stiff like a boar, yet it has all the shares the positive features of the boar. This being supplemented by the super softness of Silvertip badger hair. Man I tell you what, nothing compares to this brush.

I was so impressed that I ended up ordering the 09 LE brush as well, just in case something ever goes wrong with my 08 LE brush. Though obviously once I get it, I will be keeping both the 08 and 09 in my rotation. These basically make every other badger brush in the $150 or less category inferior. Though this is just my opinion. Actually my opinion is if you are a face latherer and use soap over cream, you should already own this brush.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
I can't add much to what's already been said. The price must be considered fair, considering the quality and the price of other brushes in this league. I haven't used one more dense, and the tips are both stiff enough to be scrubby and soft enough to feel great. Ergonomics are tops--haven't dropped it yet, and I have no problem getting the lather where I want it. As for latherability, who could ask for more?
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)