What's new

Aveda Men: Aftershave Balm

I paid $15 for a 100 ml bottle at the Aveda store. This has fast become my favorite ASB. It cools and calms my skin without a mess or any burn. It does leave a little shine on the skin which I buff away with a towel a little while after applying. The smell is light and fades quickly so as not to clash with colognes. The ingredient list is top notch without synthetic fillers in the top 5.

The packaging and dispensing pump are excellent.

Best of all, they have a money back guarantee at the store. If you don't like it, return it for a full refund (must be at least 75% full).

If they made a version with cooling menthol, it would be perfect for hot days.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I've been using Aveda AS for two weeks now. I love how smooth it leaves my skin. Combine Aveda with a BBS shave, and it feels like silk. It really seems to fight razor burn well. I don't get much of a cooling sensation, but I don't ALWAYS need to feel like I'm in the arctic on a February morning. I like the scent, which is pleasant but not over powering. I don't like cologne, so the level of scent in Aveda is just right for me. I find it has a mild citrus-like scent. It moisturizes really well, and doesn't leave any sticky residue behind. I'll be buying another bottle.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
this is my go to stuff. a bottle should last about 6 months or longer. it goes on a bit tacky, but that goes away quickly. i am not a big fan of the aveda scents, but this one disappears immediately. i have very good skin complexion when using this product. it took me about a week to go from indifferent to can't go without it. definitely take a chance on this because it is worth it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I have been using this Aveda product for a couple years now, long before I started wet shaving. Aveda is priced a little on the high side but their products, particularly this one, last a long time. So I don't have a problem with the cost.

This balm is slightly thick and slick, and you literally can't put more than a couple pumps on. That's why it lasts a long time.

The good news for those of you who don't like alcohol burn is that you won't get any at all. The bad news is that it also doesn't have much of a cooling sensation, and it doesn't immediately make razor burn go bye bye either. It gently soothes.

It's moisturizing, even maybe a little too much. It stays a little slick on your face and if you put water on right afterward--like if you're brushing your teeth and you rinse out your mouth--it "re-slicks." Again, you can't put too much on.

Something I really like is the scent. Aveda products have wonderful, non-typical scents. They can be hard to pin down. The lavender is there, but it's complex. I can see how some people wouldn't like the scent at all, so I recommend you try a sample at your local Aveda salon before buying.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I purchased a bottle of this stuff about six months before I had even considered picking up a DE razor. I used it almost daily with the Aveda shave cream and my Mach 3, and was actually getting fairly decent shaves. The Aveda shave cream has been put aside now that I've discovered the wonders of shave soap, but this stuff still has a special place in my routine.

Price: It isn't the cheapest stuff on the market, but it lasts a LONG time. The bottle has a pump top, and 2-3 pumps generally gets the job done.

Quality: It is an Aveda product, and thus the quality is great.

Fights Razor Burn: It fights razor burn as well as any other product I've used, although nothing fights it like honing that technique.

Cooling Sensation: It does cool, but the feeling is short-lived.

Scent: Absolutely wonderful.

Efficacy: It does what it says and it does it fairly well.

Moisturizing: Again, not many complaints in this area.

No Alcohol Burn: I get zero burn with this stuff, and I don't think it has any alcohol in it. If it does, it is minimal.

Overall, a fairly decent product. Since I've started wetshaving, I use this stuff as a pre-shave and I have found it to work really well. A few pumps on my face at the beginning of a hot shower, and my beard is all set to go when I lather up the brush. This stuff is VERY similar to Trumper's Skin Food, in my opinion. It has the same consistency, the same overall effect, and the same feeling once it has dried. I've been using my bottle now for close to a year, and I've got about half left. I'm not completely sure I will purchase more when it is out, but we will see.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I have been using this stuff for years...pre DE days and that is really when I appreciated this stuff. Back in the day when I would get razor burn and red splotchy skin, this stuff would soothe the burn very well. It is the classic "aveda" scent which identical to there non lathering shave cream. Woodsy, sandalwood, lavender, rosemary,....very nice and doesnt linger long. 3 squirts is enough and that actually helps conserve b/c it is metered so you are less likely to gob it on. I know of ya'll praise and worship GFT skin food but I believe this stuff at least does me better. If you are worried about cost you can normally find in Ebay for under $13 shipped so try it out. BTW i shave every other day and a bottle of this lasted me 9 months. so not a bad deal:)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Lets get the low scores out of the way real quick ok?

Price:

$18 for 100ml. For me, that is on the high side. I won't say I am a miser when it comes to spending money, but if I have extra money to spend on, say, soaps and razors :biggrin: I would rather funnel money in that direction.

Cooling Sensation:

Not really anything in this to cause a cooling effect except for the natural evaporation process causing a slight lessening of the feeling of my skins surface temperature.

On to the Great aspects of this balm.

Quality:

This is a solid hard plastic dispenser with, IMO, a durable dispensing nozzle. One press dispenses an amount of product about the size of the average persons Pinky Nail. I would find myself using 4 'squirts' of this product after each shave. I would rub each squirt onto a different quarter of my face ( left and right cheek / left and right sides of neck ) and use any excess to cover my chin and upper lip.

Fights Razor Burn:

I noticed with this product that any mild razor burn that I had incurred during my shave would quickly heal within 1-2 hours - about the same as when I use a witch hazel based splash. (as always YMMV). Any weepers caused from the shave were instantly sealed after this product was applied. I also noticed that the few nicks/weepers I did cause seemed to heal quicker during the 2 weeks that I was using this product.

Scent:

Lavender and Camomile :yum: I have to say that I have an affinity for these scents and this product is no exception. I have Lavender EO that I add to my own homemade aftershave splash, and I have to say that this products scent is dead on, but not overpowering. The scent lasts on my skin for about 3 hours max (YMMV) and remained pleasent as it slowly tapered away.

Efficacy:

This product (for me) definitely worked as advertised. The bottle says "Smooths and Conditions Skin" Well, it sure did!

Moisturizing:

Like I said above - this product absorbed into my skin at a very rapid pace. It could be that I had unusually dry skin for the past 2 weeks, but it does not feel like it. The products rubs on smoothly and does not become tacky or dry tacky on the skin. My skin physically feels more hydrated to touch as opposed to the dry smoothness I experience when using a witch hazel based splash. The Aloe in the product is probably the biggest contributer to the moisturizing properties.

No Alcohol Burn:

This product does not contain alcohol.... can't really say more than that!

Other:

This product is hypo-allergenic. I have sensitive skin and I break out with 99.9% of the balms I use, plain and simple. I used this for 2 weeks and did not experience a single breakout let alone a white head. Being 28 years old, it sucks to catch a zit every now and then. of course....YMMV.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I found this product at an Aveda salon. I will post a link to their store locator in this review:

http://www.aveda.com/templates/door/locator.tmpl

If this is not allowed, Mods, please remove the link or ask me to remove the link.

Link to Discussion:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=573804#post573804
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)