5.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Trius;854766 said:
I have the Aloe unscented version. I don't think I gave it a fair trial the first time ... or at least the lack of lather was a bit distracting. But on my second attempt I added Palmolive to build the lather, and whoa! The Avalon is really slick stuff; I wouldn't be surprised if it's as slick as Cremo. The shave I got was probably the best I've ever had.

Next I'll be trying the Avalon again on its own, but I just may end up using it as a "base" in combination with other creams or soaps.

I just got some of the Aloe unscented ... I bought it mainly to add to TABAC soap, but tonight I tried the AO just by itself.

I tried whipping it up with a BBB in a bowl ... the resulting lather didn't look that great, but I know better than to judge lather on its looks ... I washed my face with Cetaphil soap and rubbed in some ShaveSecret PSO. The AO lather spread on my face rather thinly ... I went ahead and shaved a 2-day stubble with a 34G / Astra blade on day 2.

The shave I got was just below DFS after 2 passes ... one of the worst shaves I've had in months, actually, but still far better than I was getting via cartridge/goo. I blame my choice of doing bowl-lathering rather than pointing the finger at the cream.

As for the moisturizing effect ... its hard to tell, because I had pre-moisturized with Cetaphil and added the PSO into the recipe.

As for the smell ... moot point. Its unscented, and that's why I bought this particular cream in the first place.

I'm not going to give a final judgement on this cream after just one shave ... but after reading the other posts I think I'll go brushless with it next time. Most of my creams do better without a brush anyway, if I'm using just cream and not mixing it with soap.

Stay tuned for further tests.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I have the Aloe unscented version. I don't think I gave it a fair trial the first time ... or at least the lack of lather was a bit distracting. But on my second attempt I added Palmolive to build the lather, and whoa! The Avalon is really slick stuff; I wouldn't be surprised if it's as slick as Cremo. The shave I got was probably the best I've ever had.

Next I'll be trying the Avalon again on its own, but I just may end up using it as a "base" in combination with other creams or soaps.
Little I could add to that review. I use the Peppermint version. The effect on my skin is profound, no burning or dryness. Razor just glides over.
Does look strange to not have a "lather line" to follow and miss using the brush.

Best recommendation of all in my humble opinion is that this range of products are Paraben and Peg Chemical free. Many other creams and soaps I have looked at have some or all of the the things that are supposed to be bad for you.
Well..I have to say I am surprised. This stuff worked great...Avalon Organics Lavender. WOW

Here was the routine

Shower
Hot water
Proraso Pre Shave
AVALON ORGANICS LAVENDER
1970 Superspeed P1
Feather Blade (4th day...I decided to give it a true test)
Alum Bar
Thayers Rose water
Proraso ASB
Clubman

This is brushless, I must say I missed my brush and bowl but that is ok for a change. Tube with 250 g was $4.99 from Whole Foods..can't beat the price. Squeeze out a dollop and start shaving..as always, after that first pass I say geesh I am not even shaving. However stick with it. You need to reapply between rinses and passes but no problems at this price. Just be smart about the volume you use.

One negative is that while it starts out "looking like cream out of the tube" it becomes invisible once on the face..not like lather. Thus, the visual feedback of where you have shaved is gone. However, if you are like me and you like to rub as you shave for feedback it is perfect as the glide and tactile sensation you get without the gloppy creams is so much better.

The glide and performance of this is amazing.

Scent is full bodied lavender in the tube. I personally really dislike the Taylors Lavender however this is clean crisp refreshing and natural. No medicine scent at all. Also lingers in the room even when complete.

Moisturizing properties set it apart from 3T's and many others. Even now as I write 2 hours later, my face is still much more soft and moisturized than usual. Usually the Clubman finish dries things out with the alcohol. However with this cream, it was much different..although I am BBS it is not a dry BBS if that makes sense to you. It is a much more moisturized robust BBS.

As far as aftershave routine goes, the alum bar and the Clubman gave me no sting at all, usually both do. If you shy away from Alcohol based after shaves due to sting, try the Avalon product and then try those alcohol based after shaves again. I think the incredible moisturinzing of the Avalon must help here with this issue

If you really like the visual feedback of shaving you won't like this product. However, if your goal is a great BBS shave with no irritation then you will. I also might suggest you use this as a finisher cream for blade buffing and touch ups if you just have to stick with your 3T's or Proraso or whatever. Because it is such a thin layer and provides such great touch and glide, this might be a great cream to do your last pass or touch ups with. Also gives you that moisturizing jump start after you exfoliate all that dead skin.

End result : I have to say this is in my top 5 shave results ever...I was truly shocked. I will definately be using this product in the future.

Jeff
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability