Items by Phog Allen

This review is for la Ciagale aloe vera shave soap. This is a rather new brand of shave soap that is being imported by Phil at Bullgoose Shaving. The manufacturer is Savonnerie La Cigale of France. I believe the company as it exists has been around since 2006. However, if you watch the video posted in the Bullgoose forum about this product it is pretty clear the owners bought an existing manufacturing company. At least that is my take after watching. Suffice it to say all they do is make...
Phog Allen
4.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Views
Reviews
Artisan shave soap at its best.
Phog Allen
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Views
Reviews
A wonderful, hand made shave soap from Michelle at Mystic Water Soap.
Phog Allen
1.55 star(s) 11 ratings
Views
Reviews
This review concerns the new Eucris shave soap scent by Trumper. George F. Trumper perfumers certainly needs no introduction to traditional wet shavers. They are a perennial favourite amongst devotees of traditional wet shaving techniques and their fragrances are quite popular. Their product line contains many items originally from the nineteenth century. It is that tradition that keeps many of us coming back. So when Trumper offers up a new edt fragrance or in this case a shave soap, I...
This review concerns vintage English Leather shave soap. This is from the Mem Company who was the original manufacturer of the English Leather fragrance range. It is old enough it has no bar code on the packaging so I am guessing it is from the late 1960's or early 1970's. It does not have an ingredient list printed on the box but as I will explain later, it is almost certainly a tallow based soap. No discussion of this soap would complete without a short history of English Leather...
Phog Allen
2.00 star(s) 2 ratings
Views
Reviews
This review is for eShave brand Mandarin shave soap. A soap from this manufacturer had been on my try list for some time. There are precious few reviews of these soaps online and only a smattering of threads on the typical grooming forums. The soap is available in Avocado and Linden, Lavender, and the subject of this review; Mandarin. My overall impression of the soap is good. However, it is not spectacular. At least not with my water. I say this because at times, I had gotten the lather to...
Phog Allen
0.90 star(s) 21 ratings
Views
Reviews
This review is for the Marlborough shave soap from D.R. Harris. It is with great enthusiasm that I write this review. I bought this soap from Shaving Essentials approximately six months ago. They special ordered it for me since the mahogany bowl is not common among those who stock Harris products. I was hooked from the moment I opened the shipping box. The soap's packaging has an old world look to it and the mahogany bowl has a stunning grain. It is a very understated and classy...
This review concerns the Casablanca shave stick by QED Essentials. Gentlemen, I have had the pleasure of using QED products for number of years now. They have always given performance and user experience all out of proportion to cost. This Casablanca shave stick only heightens and reinforces that opinion. This stick is part of what Charles calls his "American Experience Collection". I was first introduced to it as a bath soap from that line. Lets start with the scent. Bergamot...
This review concerns the Blenheim Bouquet shave soap from Penhaligon's. I used it again a few mornings ago and nothing has changed. Still dead reliable, oozes class, and only re-affirms my opinion that Penhaligon's is the class of the British perfume houses. I've added rating numbers above to keep in line with review procedures. The only categories lower than a 9 are price and moistruising. It is pricey, though as I've stated I would buy it again. These triple milled soaps seemingly last...
Top Bottom