Items by MichaelB

I, like most of you, enjoy (adore, live for) the brush, bowl, and lather routine. Occasionally -- usually because my wife buys me a "gift" -- I will try some organic, froo-froo brushless product from an organic, froo-froo store. So far, my record of disliking such products has been perfect. Not only do they provide less enjoyable shaving experiences, but the final result is not as satisfactory as with a good soap or cream. I wish it were not so, but I have discovered a brushless lotion...
I bought this J3 Regular Super Speed on eBay for a ridiculously cheap price. It arrived in quite fine condition, but I was surprised when I first looked at it. I have been using a Slant, HD, Progress, and most recently, the 38C. Although the Super Speed is all metal with the classic Gillette butterfly head, it looks like a toy razor compared to any of the Merkurs. It is light and has a short, thin handle. I honestly did not anticipate being all that impressed by its shaving ability given its...
MichaelB
0.56 star(s) 16 ratings
Views
Reviews
I keep trying the Walmart blades because it would be so convenient if I liked them. They are very cheap, easy to obtain, and come in an efficient and attractive package. But, alas, they just don't give me even a half decent shave. Partly because I have curly hair (bordering on kinky) with a complicated growth pattern, I have two sensitive spots: my neck is prone to irritation, and the space between my lower lip and chin is hard to get smooth. With a really good blade (Derby, Israeli, Swede)...
I most recently used Col. Conk Bay Rum -- a very respectable, well-established brand -- but I think this soap is even better. First off, I bought it for $3.00 (!!) on eBay, which is an amazing bargain, especially considering that it is a quite large cake. Secondly, it has a more lingering and subtle scent (which could be the addition of the ginger). It is a rather hard, brown cake, which made me a bit nervous about the lather, but this concern proved to be unfounded. Although it isn't the...
Top Bottom