What's new

Aubrey Organics "City Rhythms" Aftershave Splash

Item Description

This product is part of Aubrey's "Men's Stock" line, and the only one of the line I've tried (I've read the shaving creams are brushless :frown:). I picked up a bottle of this splash at a health food store this summer while visiting my in-laws. After a week of using it, I decided I really liked it and decided to get some when I got home (I left the bottle there with the shaving stuff I keep at their house). After not being able to locate any locally, I ordered some.

Well, in 2 years of wet shaving, this is only the 2nd aftershave I've used up and replenished (the other being L'Occitane Cade splash). This splash does it all for me, and has everything I look for in a splash. First of all, I'm strictly a splash guy for the most part due to having normal to oily skin and living here in Atlanta where we don't get a lot of cold weather (it's 65 deg. here as I type). I like for a splash to be soothing, have the ability to fight the burn if I'm a little careless about prep or technique, and have a nice scent. This splash does all three, and at a nice price. It's 10 bucks a bottle retail, but you can find it online as low as $7.60 a bottle at www.iherb.com.
It's alcohol burn is slight, probably on par with AV.

The only knock I have on it is the scent is somewhat fleeting. I suppose this can be attributed to the small amount of essential oils in the ingredients. If the amount was greater (especially the sandalwood oil), the price would be higher also.

It also comes in 2 other scents, North Woods (Pine) & Spice Islands (Bay Rum & Vetiver) which I have not tried, but the base ingredients save the oils are the same.

Latest reviews

Price
Pretty cheap, considering you're getting a product with real ingredients and essential oils. None of that skin-irritating stuff.

Quality
Superb. If your skin is easily irritated by chemicals, I suggest this aftershave. Even Musgo and other popular aftershaves have a pharmacies worth of synthetic crud in them. This doesn't--you can even see the drops of EO floating in the alcohol-water solution.

Fights Razor Burn
Moderately well, if you have it. I'd suggest a balm, though, if you have that problem in a large degree.

Scent
I like the scent. It's not very complex or lasting, but it won't overpower a similar cologne. Personally, I enjoy blending it with the Sandalwood EDT from Saint Charles Shave.

Efficacy

Finishes my shaves up right.

Moisturizing
The Aloe tempers the drying of the alcohol.

No Alcohol Burn
Not so bad, if you're worried about that.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Price

Compared to other aftershaves, the price seems very fair. Sure, you could get a bottle of Skin Bracer or Acqua Velva for less than half the price, but this is much better quality.

Quality

Quality is very good. Natural ingredients, some healing ingredients, and EOs for scent. To be fair, the scent is very light so the amount of EOs in there is probably very small. I suppose that's to be expected given the price.

Fights Razor Burn

Didn't rate for this category because I didn't have razor burn when I used it.

Cooling Sensation

This isn't a cooling or mentholated AS, so no rating for this category either.

Scent

Rated it a 7, but the rating should be a 7.5. My main criticism is that the scent is very light and fades very quickly. I don't exactly want my AS to stick around most of the time, but this one is very, very light. A slightly stronger scent would be nice. The bottle describes the scent as Cedar, Sandalwood, and Bergamot, but there are other oils in there too. Like the other aftershaves in this line, there is a slightly medicinal undertone that I detect that I believe is the ginseng in it. I actually get more sweet and slightly citrusy notes from the scent that I expected. It does seem a little more woodsy when you splash it on, but it's nothing like the woodsiness you get from the CADE splash or a woodsy fragrance like Tam Dao. Again, the scent isn't bad, it's just very, very light. Probably the lightest of the 3 different scents in this line.

Efficacy

It gets the job done and has some extra healing ingredients. It doesn't irritate my face or dry it out too much. Be sure to shake up this stuff vigorously before using it. If you look carefully, you can actually see little bits of oil floating on top in the liquid.

Moisturizing

I'm not sure how moisturizing this is because there is alcohol in it and it is not a balm. I will say my face feels significantly less tight just after using it compared to other alcohol splashes. I still prefer to follow up with a good moisturizer or balm though. My guess is the alcohol content is very low on this one, maybe 20-30% or so.

No Alcohol Burn

There is some sting, but it is very, very mild and fleeting.

Overall, this is a good product at a good price that is well worth trying.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
I have the Spice Island fragrance of this splash as well as the balm and i really love both. The splash leaves your face feeling clean,smooth, and smelling great with very little alcohol burn. the balm is equally impressive it leaves your skin cool and moisturized without being shiny or sticky at all. Both are only around $10 and made with all natural ingredients! Highly recommended :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)