What's new

Astra Superior Platinum

Pros: smooth, forgiving, cheap for its quality and last 4 shaves for me
Cons: tugs at neck area which is why i removed 1 star.
my first experience with astra was a disapointment as i was new to wetshaving, anyways after few months and trying 10+ blades i revisited astra SP and it worked well for me..
overall a good blade but i just wish it dint tug me on my neck area or it would had been great for me
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp and smooth. Long lasting.
Cons: None.
The first time I used an Astra SP I was not impressed. It took me a while to give them another try and I am glad I did. The rest of the blades in that first pack were sharp, well-made, and durable. I have now gone through a couple of tucks, rotated with a few other blades that I like, and haven't gotten another bad one. Excellent blades that cut through stubble with ease and without irritation.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp. Smooth. Cheap. Reliable blade-to-blade performance. Very forgiving yet still efficient when paired with a mild razor.
Cons: Can't think of any, really.
Had I stuck with Astra SP when I just ventured into DE shaving, I'd save myself a week of pain and irritation.

Out of all the sample blades that I tried as a complete noob (Astra SP, Astra SS, Personna Lab Blue, and a Chinese Baili blade that came with the razor and was supposed to be pretty decent based on reviews) this one gave me the least problematic shaves. Every time I switched to another blade I'd get more irritation, cuts, and weepers.

I finally stuck with Astra SP and the Baili 179 TTO razor for a week and pretty soon was getting great, irritation free, repeatable daily shaves.

This is also among the cheapest blades out there.

Ordered 4x100 packs at $8.95 each, which should last me for years. Will likely order even more with time, so that if they decide to discontinue or change it I am all set for the foreseeable future. This blade has become my golden standard by which to judge all other blades.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Reactions: MrBeez
Tillerman7
Tillerman7
Did I hear correctly that these blades have changed? I love them but thought I heard that they are made differently or perhaps by someone else?
ivan_101
ivan_101
No, they havent changed. They are still made by PPI. Some visual changes through the years. Like they were made with laser etching the inscriptions on the blade for a few years. Now back to painted inscriptions.
Pros: Price and very effective!
Cons: none
A great blade ,smooth and effective! One of my favorite blades!
Great price and Value!

xxxxxxxddjdjfjtjgjgjjvjgjbjbjgjvngjfjcjcjcjcfjfjriririridisissjs Isis
sskdkdkfkfkvgkgkgkgkhkhkgkhkhkhkykyigkfkfkfkcfkkfcckgkgkgkgkhkhkgkhkhkhkykyigkfkfkfkcfkkfcckvvgkgkgkhkhkgkhkhkhkykyigkfkfkfkcfkkfcckvvvffjfjfjfjfjdjdfjfjfjfjfjfjfdhddshshshshshshsshshshshxhshxhxxhxhshshxhxhxhxhxhxhxhxhxjxxjdjdjdjdjdjdjdjxjxjxdjdjdjxjdjxjxjxjdudirurriirirririrjdjsjshshdjdhdhdhdhdhdhdhdhxhddhdhdhdhdhdhxhxhdjddjdjdjdjdjdjdjufdjfufuffjfjc
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Price
Good middle ground between sharp and smooth
Cons: None
I find these to probably be the best budget blade out there, and I've tried everything. Is there better blades put there? Sure, I think so. Most of them however are almost or are twice the price. Polsilver, GSB, Nacet, Feather, etc are all more expensive. The feather is also not nearly as smooth. The only blades that are better are the more expensive options from the St. Petetsburg plant. I would add that the only other budget blades (10 dollars or so for 100 pack) is the Dorco Prime, or the Derby Premiums, both excellent budget blades. These however, may very well be the best value out of any blade out there. Not to mention the new blades are laser etched instead of stamped with ink and look gorgeous.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Buttery smooth shave with my 58' super speed
Fantastic blade at a fantastic price ! I have found the combo with my 58' super speed to be an amazing combo, I have sensitive skin and a thick beard , it works perfectly, super sharp, well made , good packaging, makes it a definite daily driver blade for beginners and veteran shavers alike. I just purchased a 100 pack
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp, smooth, and cheap
This blade almost always provides a great shave, and pairs excellent sharpness with top class smoothness. For the price, it can't be beaten. And in a community where YMMV is gospel, this is one of the few products that most users will agree is excellent.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Consistency over period of use
Cons: None, really
While I haven't tried as many blades as some here, I have gone through about a dozen or so and still load with Astra SP on a daily basis.

Plenty sharp for my beard (BBS in 2 passes and touchup), lasts for ten or more shaves, is smooth to start and remains so. My last shaves still don't drag, pull, or cause weepers, they just get less efficient
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: smooth, sharp, good for multiple shaves
Cons: none
I don't believe that I need to write a long winded review for these, as many that uses these, already know how good these blades are.

After so many years of DE shaving, I've tried many blades, and I've ended up going back to these over and over... some are on par, some might be a bit better, but the overall thing about these is that it's rare that someone doesn't have them in their rotation.

Price wise, they are great, then for quality and such, they are also great...Good for a good 3 shaves per blade.

I will keep a star for the sharpness and smoothness because as I stated, you can get other blades that are sharper (which can actually be worse), some that are smoother, not by much but still.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp (enough)
Smooth (enough)
CHEAP!
Cons: Could be smoother and shaper
These Astra SPs are sharp, but IMHO not as sharp as many reviews might lead one to believe. They're also smoother than many blades, but not as smooth as some. I've been using them, quite happily for many years and really have no complaints. Many moons ago I was getting somewhat disillusioned with Feather blades and, based on reviews I had read stating that these are almost as sharp as Feathers but much smoother, decided to give these a shot. Given my limited experience with blades at the time, I found this to be true. I was and still am quite happy with these. I can get two or maybe three good head and face shaves on one blade with minimal irritation. They're definitely on the cheaper end of the spectrum. That said, now that I have slightly more experience with blades (mostly thanks to a PIF from a member here), I don't find them as good as I used to. Voskhods and Israeli Personnas - about the same price point as the Astras - are I think both sharper and smoother. Gillette Nacets are as well, though at roughly twice the price. I still like the Astra, it's a perfectly competent blade, but I think there are better options out there for the same money.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)