What's new

Art of Shaving Unscented Pre-Shave Oil

Pros: Lubricates
Cons: Greasy, thick, over priced
I agree with the above posts - this stuff works but is really thick and gooey. Very unpleasant to remove from your hands.
Also, the unscented version has a strong sandalwood scent, which isn't my favourite.
You are better off making something yourself for a fraction of the price.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Durability
2.00 star(s)
Usefulness
2.00 star(s)
Performance
2.00 star(s)
Cons: Messy
I've tried the unscented and the Lavendar which has a great scent and works well but, I don’t like to use get it all over my hands in the morning – it’s very oily. Actually that’s all it is – oil with a fragrance or without. It also get on your razor and makes a film in the sink. I would use for heavy growth but not a daily shaver, too messy. You'd be better off rubbing olive oil on your face.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Durability
1.00 star(s)
Usefulness
2.00 star(s)
Performance
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Good packaging. Readily available product: at most malls.
Cons: Inexpensive product at premium price, thick compared to other oils.
Yes, applying this product to wet face is way to go, it needs to be thinned. The ingredients are basic and inexpensive. If you work with oils you will know that these two (olive and castor) are inexpensive and very thick (especially the castor oil) for a similar price you can make an excellent premium oil at home (and a lot more of it). Message me if you would like a recipe. The thickness of this oil, even thinned, concerns me as to brush residue. I just cannot justify the quality and content with the price. The upside is that it is readily available in many areas allowing new wet shavers easy access to a pre-shave oil.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
1.00 star(s)
Performance
2.00 star(s)
Pros: quality, thick
Cons: price
Awesome product, but at a premium price. Great skin protection and comfortable shave.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
5.00 star(s)
Performance
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Good lube (when used in moderation)
Cons: Pricey
Just like the previous reviewers, this has worked well for me. The trick is, if you think you dont have enough it is just the right ammount. Apply to a wet face with wet hands and then lather. The first pass will be clean and effortless. On the whole AoS products are well packaged (you pay for the packaging and marketing) and good quality, but epensive.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
I too thought this product was pretty useless....at first. However, after revisting it recently, IT HAS WORKED WELL! I think the key with this oil is to apply it when your face is already dripping wet AND apply it with soaking wet hands. By itself, or with little water, it is indeed to thick and messy...and actually sticky.

My routine is to apply it to my dripping wet face with dripping wet hands and and massage into the skin. I then re-irrigate it again before applying my cream. This second application of water is when it really lubes up (becomes slippery) and performs as it is suppose to.

All thats said, I wont be purchasing it again due to the exorbinant price (considering the relatively cheap ingredients). But, I reiterate, if used with lots of water, it works well and doesn't gum up my razor.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
1.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
I have to agree with RazorPete. I also made the mistake of using too much, and ended up with the same results as previous reviewers - thick gooey application that causes your razor to drag across your face. I bought the Lavender pump bottle version, and initially used about 3 pumps. After reading RazorPete's review, I tried just using one pump, applying it mostly on my chin (where my beard is the thickest and most sensitive) and working my way out. It was much easier to apply, my razor slid across my face with very little effort, and I got a much better shave as a result. This is a less-is-more kind of product, which translates to more bang-for-the-buck for those of us on a tight budget, such as myself.
I have been using the AOS preshave both unscented and sandalwood varieties for several months off and on, and find it consistently gives me better shaves. I used to use a lot per application (size of a nickel in the palm), but I finally realized that just a few drops, added to already wet hands to an already wet face was all that was needed. Used this way, it certainly does not seem at all gooey or thick, but just provides light lubrication.

I am assuming once I brush on my shaving cream, and start lathering that the preshave oil blends with the cream. However I think for the critical 1-2 minutes out of the shower, while I am making lather, the preshave helps in keeping the beard hair soft and keeps the moisture locked in the hairs.

I tried making my own homemade version using one part olive oil, three parts castor oil and a few drops of lavendar EO, and it was not as good as the AOS product, IMO.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Durability
1.00 star(s)
Usefulness
4.00 star(s)
Performance
4.00 star(s)
There isn't much else here unique I can contribute. The biggest error is that this product is WORSE than not using any pre-shave method at all. I have to be harsh with this review, because by the third pass, it made my skin so taught that my razor was dragging to a degree where I had to immediately stop and completely rewash my face and apply another pre-shave to get rid of any remaining residue Art of Shaving pre-shave left.

I used a sample packet, thinking there was a generous portion of goop in there, but I ended up having to use all of it because it cloys to your face really fast. It's consistency and color reminded me of Goo-Gone (yes, the product is very goo-like), and the "unscented" smell was not desirable.

I'm honestly trying to figure what this product was for. It's useless after the second pass, and if you were to go back for a third, you will get cut. Even the new-age Gillette razors this product is perhaps marketed towards would have such trouble with this product's goo-thickness with the small gaps between their blades, and then when going back for the recommended second pass, would fail altogether.

Long story short, avoid this product. It does more harm than good, has a weird texture with undesired staying power, has an odd scent (with literal flakes of pepper in the product?), and dries your face completely before you can apply aftershave. Simply washing your face in warm water without this pre-shave is even safer. Avoid at all costs (even if it was free, such as in my case).
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Durability
3.00 star(s)
Usefulness
0.00 star(s)
Performance
0.00 star(s)
This is my third pre shave oil I have used. I do agree that it is rather goey and thick and I tend to have to use more compared to Lab Series Smooth Shave Oil or Origins Easy Glider due to it being difficult to spread around. You do need to wash your hands woth soap and water to get the goeyness of your hands. Overall I believe its a decent product not the best but it does come in a super durable bottle.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
3.00 star(s)
Performance
3.00 star(s)
I agree with the above reviews. I have the sandalwood-scented version, which does smell very nice, but the oil still grabs and drags the razor. I think it does protect and nourish the skin, but it's so dense and sticky that the shave turns out crappy anyway. Maybe if you leave it on you face for a few minutes and then wash it off before lathering it could help soften the beard, but this seems like a silly workaround for a product that basically is not very good.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
1.00 star(s)
Performance
1.00 star(s)
But not the best either. The T&H preshave oil is vastly superior even if it is way more expensive. As mentioned by other reviewers, the AOS oil is thick and goopy. With some cremes I noticed that it would create a gummy mixture that stuck to my razor like tacky Elmers glue. I picked up a bottle of it when my local shop was having a 50% off sale but I certainly wouldn't buy it at full price ($22!). My standard shave oil is Origins Easy Glider - smells and feels like T&H oil but costs about $19. Not cheap, but it performs much better than the AOS offering.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Durability
1.00 star(s)
Usefulness
2.00 star(s)
Performance
2.00 star(s)
I have to agree with the above posts. I actually like King of Shaves better. It's available at Walgreens or CVS and costs in the $3-$5 range.

Frankly, I haven't been wild about anything I've tried so far from Art of Shaving. I am a long way from an expert but that's been my limited experience.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Durability
5.00 star(s)
Usefulness
1.00 star(s)
Performance
1.00 star(s)
I was very disappointed by this oil. It goes on thick and clogs my razor and takes forever to wash off my hands. The only good thing about AOS oil is the insanely durable bottle which didn't break even after I dropped it. Might have only been good luck though so let's not put that theory to the test. If you want to use a pre-shave oil go with Pacific or T&H.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Durability
4.00 star(s)
Usefulness
0.00 star(s)
Performance
0.00 star(s)
This is probably one of the most disappointing products I've tried since taking the path of the wet shaver. AOS pre-shave oil was the first pre-shave product I tried and it almost turned me off the idea all together. This stuff came out like slightly warmed Crisco. I went on gooey and it was darn near impossible to get off of my hands afterward. The price is okay at $22 a bottle but other than that I can't say many good things. It's half the price of Castle Forbes but less than half as useful. My recommendation would be to skip it all together and try some Skinfood.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Durability
2.00 star(s)
Usefulness
1.00 star(s)
Performance
1.00 star(s)