What's new

Art of Shaving Unscented Aftershave Balm

Ultimately, I did not care for the unscented Art of Shaving aftershave balm. It works well for a moisturizer, but it didn't work well on fighting razor burn. The smell is repulsive IMO, and it lingers awhile for a "unscented" product. I will never use this product again, and I would not recommend it to anyone.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Pros: incredible moisturizing
Cons: price
Best balm I've found, and a dime sized amount is enough. But the price is extreme.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
After I got the AOS Sandalwood sample kit for Christmas, my next purchase was the full size Unscented line. I really like this balm. True, it is expensive ($38) but a little bit of the balm goes a long way, so one bottle lasts quite a while (I got about 10-11 months on 3-4 shaves per week)

I would describe the product more as "without additional fragrance" because as some of the others have mentioned, the ingredients themselves do have a smell to them. The first bottle I owned had it bit of a nutmeg or cinnamon smell to it (very slight). My current (2nd) bottle is closer to being completely without scent though. I like this as it's easy to layer a cologne over if I choose. I have no idea where the hate over the smell of the balm is coming from in the other reviews - over two bottles my experience is a mild pleasant smell of the ingredients or virtually no smell at all. Maybe there was a bad batch out there?

Overall, it seems very good for my skin - fights razor burn well, very moisturizing. I gave it a nine for the latter category because it's easy to put on too much, and if you do it evaporates very slowly and leaves your skin looking shiny and greasy. This stuff is great in the winter months though. Anyway, two thumbs up for AOS Unscented Balm :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Did not expect an unscented product to burn my face. Must be the Vitamin C in it. It also left my face greasy. My idea of a perfect balm/milk is DR Harris milk. This is so far from it that it should cost 99c instead of the premium price they charge.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Totally agree with the smell "middle school frog dissection." But I do like the moisturizing properties. Its to expensive...
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This stuff reeks.
I got it as part of the AOS Ingrown Hair Kit.
I wouldn't have bothered except it was 50% off.
Everything was labeled as being unscented and I suppose that is accurate in that there isn't so much a scent as an odor.
So I got some shaving cream which is good, a tweezers which is good, pre shave oil and aftershave balm which are both unusable by me, and the AOS ingrown hair night cream which was the big surprise for me because, although smelly, I find that it really works very well.
But this review is about the ASB and, while YMMV, I give it a big thumbs down.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
I think it's pretty average stuff although overpriced. I do get the burning that others have mentioned but the moisturizing that you get is probably worth it. It is pretty greasy almost as if it doesn't absorb into the skin right away but it works. If you like to feel very moisturized after your shave this is the stuff for you, if you like something to cool your razor burn, don't spend the money.
I got this as part of a "beginners kit" with shaving oil (OK), shaving cream (OK), a shaving brush (cheap crap) and this after shave (expensive crap).

So yes, it soothes and moisturizes the skin, but it also leaves it feeling sticky and gooey all day long. That, is completely unacceptable to me.

After spending considerable effort to get the perfect shave, I want my face to feel as smooth as a baby's butt. This makes it feel like the baby needs a change of diapers.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I actually like this aftershave balm. It has no razor burn , because it has nothing to create a burn. Price is abit much, but the quality is very nice. There is no scent so they got that on the nose. Ireally cannot smell a thing. And my wife says I have a very sensitive nose for such things. No ethers or oils were added to this one. I actually will add a drop of different essential oils to the palm of my hands before I put the balm on my face, and have many varieties to use. It expands the utilization of the balm! Very versatile..That's about it....Fine stuff.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I can't really say I'm a fan of this particular product. As someone else mentioned, the focus really seems to be on moisturizing. To point that if you use more than the smallest amount then it will leave you greasy for quite some time. There are a lot better products out there that cost a good bit less. Personally, I'd pass of this one.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I think it is a great product, but of course, overpriced. Can't confirm the bad smell, it's unscented after all, and there was really nothing that would hurt my nose. I think next time I will go for the sandalwood. In terms of soothing & moisturizing it's the best after shave balm I've tried so far. If you have better suggestions in this respect, don't hesitate to send me your suggestions, because that's really what I'm after. Pre de Provence is my second favorite at this point. I don't have many problems with razor burns, etc. Bottom line: if you find it on sale, grab it, if not, look for a cheaper alternative.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Completes the trifecta of AOS products that don't work for me. Feels thick and greasy going on, leaves my skin feeling oily. Not particularly effective against razor burn. Doesn't cause any new burning or irritation, though, and unscented really means unscented.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
I use this stuff often, yes it is pricey, but it works. My face feels moisturized all day. I don't mind the price because a little goes a long way. Before I switched to D/E and only used AOS products, one bottle of this stuff would last more than six months shaving everyday. Now that I have been branching out to other products and change ASB daily this should last a very long time. This will always be a part of my rotation. Just for the record I rated scent 10 because with this unscented product I can use any cologne I like.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I tried this stuff for the first time this morning. What a joke!! This is the most overhyped aftershave on the market.

It does have decent moisterizing properties, but that is where it stops. I get better results out of my $5.00 tube of Brut moisturizing aftershave ( and even that is more pleasing to the nose )

Do not waste your money on this stuff!!
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
I've used this balm for some time and have never had a burning sensation. I use it particularly when I've had a rough shave because the soothing and moisturizing properties are solid. As mentioned before, the greasiness can be an issue right after application. It's not your best value A/S, but I think it's an excellent performer.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
no scent--my preference
Seems to focus on moisturizing which it does well
Use a very small amount... Too much leaves an oily residue which seems to clear in an hour or so.

it's high price makes it an aftershave for special occasions
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I didn't expect this to burn when I put it on, but it did. Despite being unscented, it had the unmistakeble smell of middle school frog dissection. Formaldehyde and dead amphibian flesh. My face did feel very soft but at the price of being greasy for awhile.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)