What's new

Art of Shaving Sandalwood After Shave Balm

Pros: Scent, Soothes
Cons: Price
Amazing scent that lasts. It is a different sort of sandalwood that works well with the AOS pre-shave sandalwood oil. It definitely soothes, but for a price. Literally. This stuff will put a dent in your wallet, but it seems to be worth its weight in greenbacks.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Rich and soothing. Non greasy.
Cons: None that I can think of at the moment.
When I first got into DE shaving I purchased my first set up at an Art of Shaving retail store. As most people know, they are not exactly cheap. I put the rating for price down to a 4 because, on the surface of it, this stuff is pretty expensive. Having said that, it lasts a long time. I use two squirts and my face feels wonderful, so if you consider that, I could easily give it a higher number.

The product is fantastic. Since I've started, I've been using other after shave products that I really really like, however, there will always be a place in my line up for this balm. A little bit goes a long way. It simply makes my face feel better. It goes on easy and is not greasy at all and the scent is just enough to be noticed but not overwhelming. I think you get a lot for your money.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Smell, Quality
Cons: Price
Just like I said with the cream, great on everything but price.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This was the first ASB I ever used, got a kit from AOS in the beginning. I love the scent, it smells great right away and lasts just the right amount of time for me. As far as price goes, it is very expensive, which is partly OK because of the quality pump and scent BUT not ok for me because this leaves me a little dry after the shave. I feels great right away, but 30 min later if I eat or yawn where I open my mouth, I get a slight burning and dry skin around my cheeks and chin. This does not happen at all with the Mama Bears ASB I also reviewed. This is the reason I will not be ordering more from AOS, it doesn't have the performance to justify the cost for me.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I've used both the Sandalwood and the Lavender balms. I find them to be excellent with limited use. They are very, very moisturizing, and continued use seems to leave sort of a oily "buildup" on my face.

It's price is a little steep, but not way out of line with the other quality balms. It fights burn well, and doesn't provide that "extreme" cooling sensation, probably because of the heavy moisturizering element, but the face feels cool and calm after using it. The AoS Scents are excellent overall, not overwhelming and they linger "in the background" for a good amount of time. It has no burning sensation when applied.

Overall, a very good balm.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This is a great product but I don't think it is worth the over hyped up price. Moisturizes well and smells great. A bit heavy. I think you can get a product that does the same for much cheaper. I think you are paying for the name and marketing hype.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
The scent is excellent, and does stick around for quite a few hours. The moisturizing effect is to high for my skin. I tend to get acne in some spots after using this product too long. Other than that I would recommend it!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
A very nice AS for those that like Sandalwoods. Probably one of the more potent aftershaves I have, the scent is strong and sticks around for at least a few hours.

Very good moisturizing properties for those that live in dry climates.

Overall, a little pricey but definitely a quality aftershave
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
good
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This balm has a great scent if you like pure sandalwood EO - I wonder how long this will be around with shortages of the oils? The dispenser allows metering out the right amount of balm for get good coverage without wasting any. The balm is very moisturizing - ideal for use in winter. No greasiness, good absorption. The vitamin C makes it slightly acidic so if you have any scrapes or nicks don't look for comfort - it will burn a bit. Overall a high quality product, well packaged and quite easy to find in stores. A bit pricey but a jar will last a long time.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I have been shaving somewhat seriously for 3 years now -- ever since I visited an Art of Shaving store in person and bought a starter kit. I subsequently have order a refill of the ASB and Preshave Oil. I was a Mach 3 / Fusion guy until 4 weeks ago, and this balm worked very well for me even in the midst of my ignorance.

Since I developed DE madness right before Labor Day, I have gone on a acquisition spree. I have bought 3 DE razors, Col. Conks Bay Rum soap. I have bought Castor Oil and Essential Oil to make my own preshave. I have some QED soap in the mail. And yet, I have yet to be seriously tempted to throw my AoS ASB overboard. It works - even in my poor technique newbie phase full of multiple ill-advised passes and repasses with a Derby and a wide-open Gillette Adjustible, it works. The burn at 8:15 is gone by 8:20. Smell is fleeting, but is nice coming out of the bottle. I have read in multiple places that Sandalwood is good for dry skin (me).

Having said all this, it is a bit pricey $38 for 3.5 oz (100ml)-- for the same price of a 3.5 oz bottle, I can get 3.5 of Proraso ASB and 3.5 of Speick, both products I am looking to try. To be honest, if I like either Proraso or Speick, I probably will never buy the AoS again on the basis of cost, but I will always have fond memories of it.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)