What's new

Art of Shaving Lavender

Simply an amazing product. I thought nothing could touch the top two spots in my rotation (AoS Sandalwood, TOBS Avocado), but this is making a strong case (especially in the warmer months when the Sandalwood is too heavy and the Avocado's amazing moisturizing capabilities are less needed).

Price:
I know, I know. $22 is a lot to shell out. The pricing is on par with the three T's, though, and it does go on sale (I got it for 20% off). Overall, I find it to be a good value.

Quality:
Just a top notch product, nothing else can be said.

Scent:
An amazing scent, with EOs making for a strong and noticeable scent while shaving. The scent does last after shaving, but does not linger all day (~2 hours by my experience).

Latherability:
For me, not quite on par with TOBS, but very very close.

Efficacy:
Does its job and then some.

Moisturizing Properties:
Does not dry out, and leaves skin moisturized. Not on par with the insanely-moisturizing TOBS Avocado, which is my benchmark.

Packaging:
Thick plastic, won't crack unless dropped on a hard floor.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I liked this cream quite a bit. It only takes a small amount to make plenty of lather for easily 3-4 passes. It's very creamy and takes a bit more water than the usual cream. The scent was pretty strong and was a nice dry lavender aroma with nothing fake about it. I get close, comfortable shaves with this and the lemon variety. I feel that the price isn't bad considering the cost of comparable English products.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
I asked SWMBO to try and grab a sample and she grabbed the whole jar! I'm really impressed by this cream. Great scent, great lather, and great shave.

PRICE22 USD for 5 oz. Kinda of pricey but a dab will do. Also the quality and the good essential oil makes it worth it.
QUALITY Very high quality product. Rich dense cream and essential oils.
SCENT Great clean lavender scent. Not at all sweet, just pure floral. I just wish it was a little stronger.
LATHERABILITY Excellent. Quickly makes a thick, rich, and slick lather.
EFFICACY This is where the product really shines. Provides an excellent shave.
MOISTURIZING Not drying at all. There are many much more moisturizing products on the market though.
PACKAGING Classy nicely printed box and a nice plastic tub. Rigid and solid.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
D
this was one of my first shaving cream i brought on amazon.
thought it to be pricey initially, but a small almond size of cream is all it takes to have a great great shave

this cream is my favourite..
the smell is so real.
you got to try it to believe it
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This cream is excellent in every way. I gave the price a 9, since $22 is a little pricey. The scent is fresh lavender, like being in a garden. The lather is rich, creamy and slick. I love this stuff!!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
In a lot of ways it reminds me of the quality of Proraso. So why opt up for a $22 product instead of the $10 tube you can find a lot more commonly?

The lavender scent is brilliant. As said by other reviews, it's a unique lavender that is a great balance of masculine and enjoyably fragrant and is enjoyable as you shave. Their other scents (Sandalwood and Lemon) are good too, but sniffing all of them in store I think I made the right choice of this scent here.

Quality is absolutely top-notch. Lathers like it's on drugs, keeps the skin hydrated. The best I've come across.

Truly worth it's price, and I suggest everyone nab an AoS cream to feed and acquisition disorder.

The only true ding I got to give it is it's packaging. It's a cheap plastic black tub with a fancy sticker slapped on it. What's with that? No big deal, it certainly does the trick no doubt.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
Price: This cream is not cheap, but it is certainly not expensive compared to other brands (Trumpers, Penhaligons, Truefitt,...).

Quality: I find this to be in the same class as other highly-regarded brands. Clearly well made and contains good ingredients.

Scent: I think that AoS is great at incorporating natural scents into products. Every product they sell is spot-on with the natural version of each ingredient. This product is no exception.

Latherability: AoS creams are excellent latherers. Very dense, moist, and lubricating.

Efficacy: Gives close shaves with no irritation.

Moisturizing Properties: Better than most, but I have dry skin so it hard to judge.

Packaging: Mininmalistic, classy, and practicle. The jar is very well made.
A few comments from your friendly neighborhood Engine:

Price
$20+ for a tub isn't cheap. However, it lathers so ridiculously well that I find myself using less of this delightful stuff per shave than other creams, and therefore it lasts longer, and therefore is a better value-per-product-quantity than most other creams. Absolutely worth the money. Absolutely.

Quality
Um. Great?

Scent
I'll echo the sentiments of some other reviewers... This stuff is what I compare all oher Lavenders to, and I honestl still haven't smelled anything that can dare to compare with the AoS Lavender. It smells REAL. It's got an almost mystical quality... if you'd never smelled lavender before and smelled this, you'd somehow know this is what lavender is supposed to smell like.

Latherability
Ridiculously well.

Efficacy
Here I am slightly let down. It's an excellent cream, though I feel I've had better shaves from my TOBS Avocado. I've also noticed that the lather feels as though it's drying up on my face. Fortunately, it lathers so well you can reapply, but you shouldn't have to in the first place.

Moisturizing Properties
Not great. While I don't feel significantly dried out after an AoS Lavender shave, I recommend that you plan on using an AS balm.

Packaging
Just what I want from packaging. It's understated, yet functional and pleasant to look at. Sturdy, doesn't pretend to be anything its not. Most importantly, it doesn't make me feel that AoS is making me spend money on pointless packaging instead of product.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Outstanding quality!
I got hooked on AOS when I was walking around the King of Prussia mall and was handed a sample of the unscented products. After shaving with it that night, I was left wanting more. The following weekend I made the hour long drive back to KoP just for the set. They were sold out of unscented so I got the Lav. I love it. It's got a relaxing tone to it. I enjoy shaving before bed and laying in bed just smelling the soothing scent as I fall asleep. It feels great, and it lathers just as well. It's my first real cream so it lathers great for a beginner. I'm considering ordering another scent, but I think I'll wait until I try other products like my new shave stick first.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
The AOS lavender has become my favorite cream and the gold standard by which I judge all others. The scent is spectacular, being of actual lavender, as AOS utilizes esential oils, rather than attempting to concoct an artificial representation in the lab. The lather produced, in addition to smelling great, is bountiful, fluffy, slick, soothing and moisturizing, and performs extremely well. I am not sure exactly why AOS always gets critiziced as being overly expensive - in my experience, it is the same price, if not slightly less than any of the 3 T's.....and in my opinion, it is a better product. Considering the recent research suggesting that the scent of lavender can lower blood pressure, coupled with the great performance of this cream, I would highly recommend picking up some AOS lavender. :thumbup:
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Art of Shaving seems to have the reputation of being overpriced on many of the wet shaving forums and for the most part i have to agree. 90% of their products are way over priced. $38 for an ASB! $18 for a bar of soap! But the shave cream is one thing that i think is well worth the money and isnt all that expensive when compared to other high end creams. The lavender cream smells great, provides a slick and protective lather and doesn't dry out my face at all. I highly recommend this cream and at least for this product AOS is not over priced.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This cream has to be the best on the market. It only takes a very little product to generate loads of high quality lather with ease. And the smell, oh that smell! It smells like lavender cream (if there is such a thing) and has a minty scent to go along with it - just superb and perfectly balanced and masculine. It also leaves my skin well moisturized and nick free. People complain about the price but for $22 it's actually a relative bargain. The quality is hard to beat and it lasts so long that the initial price is really irrelevant. If you want to pamper yourself, pick up a tub of this cream, it cannot disappoint.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
Great cream I just wish the scent was a little stronger.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
This cream is the best I have used. I love the fact it has NATURAL essential oil of lavender and smells like true lavender...nothing fake about it. Not overwhelming but perfectly balanced scent.

This cream foams up beautifully and a little goes a long way. If your looking for a "natural" cream without all the extra garbage this one is it. The only negative thing is the price which most of Art of Shaving products I feel are overpriced......but then again if you knew what went into their products it may justify the price.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
I have heard of AOS since first raising the DE blade two and a half years ago and developed the expectation that AOS would be able to render a nice shave and reduce the redness I've got. I was disappointed. The lavender scent and the latherability impressed me but when the burning sensation started on contact with my face, my hopes for a satisfactory shave, using one of Wet Shaving's hallmark vendors, vanished and I quickly followed up with a cold water rinse.

I have used other creams. One is produced by an AOS graduate Perry Gastis whom is principal at The Gentlemens Refinery. I really liked The GR's Black Ice and Standard. They did the job without the burn or the strong scent.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
2.00 star(s)
I love this stuff but my skin couldn't tolerate it. Burning and irritation.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
5.00 star(s)
This AOS product was my first love.

Background:

I met my girlfriend right around valentine's day. She heard me say how shaving has always been difficult for me, I have sensitive skin and typically get a lot of irritation. Then I was surprised with an AOS lavender starter set as a surprised gift.

My Thoughts:

I really liked it at first. In fact I was in love... with the cream and her. My irritation had left and I was reminded every morning how lucky I was to have found something that had introduced me to the fresh scent that was revitalizing and soothing to my skin and eliminated my irritation.

What I did find is that it takes a bit to know how frothy to get the lather. The water to cream ratio and how to foam it up adequately. I believe this is one of my big complaints. It may be because I am new to the wet shave but I don't think it should be soo difficult to get the lather correct.

Secondly, after the shave I was left with a very heavy feeling on my face. The cream was perfect for the shave itself but after I was finished I didn't feel as refreshed. This may due because of the weather since it's been a bit hot lately.

I just bought myself a Dr. Harris & Co soap thanks to the advice of Evbo (who I ran into randomly) so I'll have more to write soon!

Great quality. Solid Packaging. Good Scent. Decent Lather (many points deducted for its finicky nature). Keeps my face moist after use (almost too moist in hot weather).
About 12 years back I started out shaving with a DE blade and Edge shaving gel. I was then swept away by the multiblade madness tide, graduating from the Gillete sensor excel to Fusion via Mach3. Now I am even :scared: to think about fusion.

All along I have been suffering from shaving rashes, razor burn, skin irritation and all that you can associate with improper shaving techniques and worthless products. After doing a lotta research online (and watching Mantic's videos ofcourse) I jumped into the world of DE shaving again with a bang. The first cream I purchased was this AOS lavender tub. As you can see my ratings except for price I gave it a perfect 10 (partly becos I have nothing to compare it with).

I just love it :D (the shaving routine on the whole). Nice lavender smell. The lather is pretty good and the way it coats the skin and moisturizes you can right away feel the difference.

Price wise this tub has lasted me for about 10 months ($2.20/month). I shave on alternate days. I cannot wait to try the sandalwood line form AOS.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)