What's new

Art of Shaving Gillette Fusion Chrome Pure Badger

SWMBO bought this for me on 11 April 2010.

I had mentioned that I wanted a full size brush with "Gillette" on it, and this brush certainly fulfills that criteria.

I have marked price as a 3 because, while not overly expensive ($75.00) it is very similar in composition and feel to bargain brushes that are considerably cheaper.

Quality appears to be ok, I have had it for a very short time and have had no hair loss at all, but I did drop the rating a bit because, in spite of being a "Chrome" metallic brush, it is incredibly light. There isn't much to it at all, and I prefer a brush with some heft to it.

Density of the brush is slightly above bargain brushes, but quite adequate to get the job done.

The brush is fairly stiff, and the tips are not very soft. In fact It feels almost exactly like the 17 dollar Tweezerman. I don't mind that too much, as I prefer a brush that is a bit stiffer as I have a lot of hard soaps, and it does work well with those. I face lather, and though I wouldn't want to spend a long time rubbing it around my face, it doesn't cause undue irritation.

The knurling on the handle provides a very sure grip, and I never feared dropping it. The handle size, though short, is thick enough to hold comfortably in a larger hand.

It does lather well with milled soaps as well as with creams. It retains the lather well out of the mug, and doesn't balk at delivering it to the face.

Overall, it's a fair to mid brush. It looks nice and dresses up a shelf well, but if you are not getting it because it is from Art of Shaving or says Gillette on it, quite frankly you'd probably be just as happy with a Tweezerman.

Just my perspective.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Density
2.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
4.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
1.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
I would return it to AOS for a replacement.
I purchased this brush on August 4, 2009. By the middle of November, the brush separated from the handle. I inspected it and two things were immediately apparent. First, there was very little contact space for the brush to adhere to the handle. Second, there was very little adhesive used to glue the brush to the handle. I tried to use some Bison epoxy that is waterproof, resistant to chemicals, and can withstand 212 F (100 C) temperature. In spite of the superiority of the glue I used to try and repair the brush, there was too much of a gap between the base of the brush and the handle and the repair failed.

The brush has a nice handle, it lathers well, and the materials are quite nice. Unfortunately, the build quality is abysmal.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Density
2.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
2.00 star(s)