What's new

Arlington Shave Stick

I got this stick along with a few other from a spanish online store. I am not comparing this product to any other but in terms of lather it has a few steps to Arko but in terms of scent and feeling on your skin this one beats pants off other shaving sticks i have used. Price is a bit much but once again it is D R Harris and manufacture process is in England. Really nice product to bring alone to gym or when you take your next flight!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Easy to lather, clean lemony scent and nice container
Cons: Expensive
This is one of the high end products from England. D.R. Harris are still around and they probably will stay (hopefully) for a long time. They have great scents in their small repertoire which is something that I always liked. You keep a smaller range but you do it well.

Where this goes wrong (and I'm not the only one to think this) is the price. A 40 grams shave stick will set you back $18 (around) which is pretty expensive for soap. For the same price, you can get a D.R. Harris puck (100 grams). The best deal is with the puck where you could use it as a stick (see the MWF experiment that I did : http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/310894-Shave-Sticks-Review-Project?p=6504662#post6504662) or simply grate it into a stick. The foil requires a minimum of time and effort and works very well.

The bulk of the price must be in the container where it's similar to a glue container. You turn the bottom dial to expose more product. It's a good container but it doesn't feel as solid than the bigger transparent containers that you can buy at few shops or from soap artisans. The stick was not melted directly in the container as mine was not attached to the bottom. I suspect that those sticks are produced in a cylinder shaped mold and then cut into 40grams pieces.

So, according to my calculations where $20 is the average price (that I saw), if I were to buy the 40grams of soap only, I should pay $8 instead of $20 (based on the 100grams puck). Let's say that an extra manipulation is required to shape it this way so $10. That means that half the price goes on the shave container. At that price, D.R. Harris should offer refill sticks only as I do not need a container every single time.

The product itself is great. Arlington is a very nice, high end, Citrus scent. I really enjoy this one. The quality of the shaves were top notch. I tried the Uberlather test and, surprisingly, the lather was a notch better. Not by much but enough to make me go, mmm, I wouldn't think that it required glycerin...

The superlather always create a monster! I used the regular kiss my face lime to keep the citrus theme.

Bottom line, skip the container, go for the puck!
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Convenient for travel. Great Citrus scent. Easy to apply
Cons: Lower quantity then the puck. Value drops in favour of the stick packaging
The Arlington soap is a great scent and fantastic shaver. In the stick form some of the value in the product has dropped in favour of the twist to advance and quality packaging, but when you want a great soap on the go, either to the gym, or a vacation where space is tight this fits perfectly and securely in your dopp kit. The soap itself has great protection and brings up an easy and slick soap, and the stick form just makes for a convenient face lather
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Lather
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)