What's new

Aqua Velva

Pros: Price, scent
Cons: Low end AS
Picked some up the other day because I wanted to swing down memory lane. Geez... reminds me of 20-30 years ago and when dad used it when I was a child.

I like it alot. It does the job and it smells great. But it is what it is: Cheap AS. Nothing wrong with that ;)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Classic, Affordable, Found at Brick and Mortars(US)
Cons: Dispenser is dreadful
A classic scent that is worth a try. Effective with a traditional fragrance. It does its' job. Not my favorite but I use it and enjoy it. The dispenser is poorly designed and I spill a great deal of product due to this.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Price, Scent
Cons: None that I can think of
Good product. Can't beat the price. Has a great scent compared to others of the same cost. Great menthol feel and very minimal burn if you're sensitive to the alcohol aftershaves. Although I like the burn. Tells me I got close.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
The scent seems to throw people off, but I like it. It does wonders as an aftershave! It cools, tones, and refreshes. It costs very little. It's blue, and it was originally a mouthwash. It has been around for a long time, and that longevity says something: it works.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This was my first splash. I bought it because I needed an aftershave and it was cheap for a nice sized bottle. It's an alcohol-based splash, so it burns like hell going on, but there's a nice cooling menthol chill after. I didn't know anything about this product before using it, so this was a pleasant surprise. There's a little glycerin for the moisturizing department, too, but then it is mostly alcohol. As for the scent, it's a love-or-hate kinda thing, and I for one love it.

Bottom line: it's cheap and effective, with a nice menthol kick. Give it a shot, you may enjoy it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Affordable, refreshing
Cons: Generic scent
An average AS. The alcohol closes the pores and gives that crisp cool sensation, especially when combined with the Proraso green tube shave cream - WOW! The scent is generic but refreshing and clean, and fades away after 20 minutes. Does not moisturise my skin (I have a complex skin type - oily yet very dry after every kind of shave). Not sure about razor burn relief (razor burn rarely happens to me), but stops my nicks instantly with little sting. I use it regularly because its affordable, clean and fast (I attached an atomizer so I just spray then dab - and voilà). Give it a try, you might like it.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pros: The greatest aftershave of all time!
Cons: none
There is simply nothing like it. I love the smell and it brings back so many memories. Its just so classic, so pure, so clean, so old world. Its the traditional scent of the US marines (or so I've heard). It smells like a barber shop from the 1950s, it smells like a good man, like a spring day. You can wear it day or night, to a business meeting or to church. Nothing beats it.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Price: Around $6. You can't beat that.

Quality: Very good. The bottle is plastic.

Fights Razor Burn: Aqua Velva Ice and Skin Bracer are the best aftershaves for fighting razor burn.

Cooling Sensation: It's called Ice for a reason.

Scent: Awesome. Aqua Velva has some image problems because when I asked my wife if I should buy some Aqua Velva, she said "No, I don't want you to smell like an old man." I bought it without her knowing. On the weekend after shaving and applying the AV Ice, I walked by her and she said, "Oh you smell so good, what is that?" :biggrin1:

Efficacy: Leaves my face leaving great.

Moisturizing: It doesn't dry my face and that's good enough for me.

Alcohol Burn: Are you kidding? If you want to smell like a man and feel great, you have to face the fire first.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Wow! This is great stuff. Menthol and glycerin to calm and cool the face. Killer scent. What more could you ask for? Wife likes the smell too. I like ASB but prefer AS due to my oily skin. The Aqua provides me with that "perfect" balance and leaves my face super smooth and makes me feel like I just stepped out of the barber shop. Very refreshing! This is now my new "GOTO" AS without a doubt. :thumbup1:
Love me some Aqua Velva! Best aftershave I have ever used.

Price-for what you get unbeatable.

Quality-One of the best aftershaves ever made

Fights razor burn-yes it most definitley does!

Cooling-Aqua Velva has the cooling sensation by which all others are measured.

Scent-I love it, but I had to deduct points based on reactions from SWMBO.
(She doesn't like it) To me AV smells like blue collar America.

Efficacy-What does this mean? Wouldn't this be the same as fights razor burn?

Moisturizing- It is not a balm, but it does contain glycerin, does about as good as a splash can do.

I think the alcohol burn is masked by the menthol, I like my AS to burn somewhat.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I never did buy this stuff even when I was growing up. The scent never appealed to me and I didn't see the point of using splashes back then. Then, a few months ago I was at the drug store getting something else when I saw one glass bottle on the shelf in front of all the new plastic bottles so I decided to buy it, figuring it was probably the last glass bottle I'd ever see on the shelf. Since then I've used it pretty regularly and have come to appreciate it for what it is - a pretty average splash.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Had to try this classic, as it is made in the EEC. Like the scent. Nice alcohol effect. And it does cool afterwards. I always use a balm afterwards, so moisturizing is no big deal to me. For the price it is a good product. Nothing fancy, but it works the way it should. Give it a try!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I like it a lot. It smells good on me. It fights razor burn. It soothes and cools my face. I don't find the alcohol burn to be bad.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
D
Eh, I'd rather this around the $4 price range than $6 that I pay. And now it comes in plastic bottles for $6; I nabbed the glass one and I'll be using it to transfer plastic refills into.

It's not bad. Not great, but it works and it cools. The scent is decent, some sort of unexpected musk and menthol mix.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This stuff flat out stinks

Ice Balm and AV Green smell great, but Ice Blue quickly turns to....

:9898::9898:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
1.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
AVIB is a first class product at a first class price.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Classic and widely available. You may not find Aqua Velva at Bloomingdale's next to the Prada, but you'll probably find it readily available at your neighborhood drug stores, grocery stores and big-box stores.

Good price! You can probably find a bottle for around $5.

Expected amount of sting when splashing on since it is alcohol based, but then has a very nice menthol cooling sensation.

Has a nice cool scent. May be a little on the strong side at first especially if you dowse too much on. A little goes a long way.

Sometimes I like to use Aqua Velva more like a cologne: Use a mix of alcohol/water for an aftershave before I splash on just a very small amount of the Aqua Velva.

Your Aqua Velva may not impress any snobby types who look for someone to tell them their next fad, but I think Aqua Velva is a classic, has a nice price and has a very nice scent if not "dowsed" on too heavy.
http://www.aquavelva.com/
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Hmm, what can I say... It's great to discover what this legendary product is, having heard of it so often for so long on here. It's as I expected- a very brash, very American scent, if that is possible. Maybe I've once met an American who smelt of it? It freezes my face, which is quite exciting, and it is almost moisturising enough (though I did add a couple of ml of glycerin to get it how I like it). And it is made of alcohol, which is exactly what I want on my face after a shave.

Fragrance starts of as a menthol blast, with citrus and lime on the topnotes. There's clary sage and some other florals in the heart, maybe a bit of lavendar too? Very fresh smelling all the way, very masculine. There's a rather strong musk as the basenotes, and later on I catch whiffs of it and it seems almost like leather- odd considering how it started out. The overall effect is coarse and synthetic, and on the whole not to my tastes.

I can see what has made it such a legend- there is something particular about this, something unlike any fragrance you'd find in the UK. It seems to sit between the "classic" scents such as the fougeres (Brut) and leathers (Old Spice, Tabac), and at the same time have something in common with the very modern, extremely synthetic fragrances marketed to men, particularly those of the 90's. I think that when it came out it was probably rather ahead of it's time, perhaps that is why it has lasted so well.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
2.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Alcohol is involved when it comes to Aqua Velva. This regular aftershave isn't tremendous in any way, but it is very nice-smelling, very fresh and clean. It will kill the bacteria that might want to burrow into your face after a rough shave, and leave nothing but silky-freshness in its wake. It will precede you by a good six or seven feet wherever you go, its "blue" scent, that synthetically formulated "icy" thing always there, and you know something - it's quite masculine, and still very modern. Despite its whiskers, I like the fact that I can wear this and feel like I'm wearing something that's in sync with the times. This is a classic, and should never be forgotten.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
After many years looking at Aqua Velva bottles at my local drugstores i decided to buy a bottle yesterday.
The big glass bottle was 3,99$ so for the price it's pretty good.
I used it this morning after my shave, and wow, that's healing after a shave.
At first when you apply it there's a burning sensation but it goes away in 10 sec.
The scent is great, my girlfriend doesn't like it but, i don't care, it's an old-school scent.
I will keep Aqua Velva in my rotation of after shaves for sure.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)