What's new

Aqua Velva Ice Sport Cooling After Shave

Pros: burns with menthol
Cons: small bottle
Mike (morijinal), did you really respond to your own review as if someone else wrote it? That's funny.

This stuff is inexpensive drug store aftershave with a great scent. It works and leaves the face feeling great. It's definitely worth a try. I think I like Skin Bracer Cooling Blue better though.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I picked up a bottle of this today. To me this smells like Polo Sport more than Cool Water. I slapped some on after my shave and I gotta say...... give me the original AV over this any day. I missed the menthol blast and the smell of the original AV just outclasses this "sporty" scent. Plus I think the original AV has better moisturizing properties and makes my face feel better.
I used to use AV Ice Sport when I was a teenager because I really liked the smell, and all these years later I still do. I'm not a huge fan of AV in general, and if I had to use their aftershave, this would be the one I'd go for. My only real gripe with it, other than the fact that it's fairly average in its efficacy and moisturizing capabilities, is that it comes in that tiny little bottle. Why so small? I know it's a sport product that is intended for gym bags and locker shelves, but still, they could easily throw another ounce in there with room to spare. But otherwise worth using.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I tried this because i can't stand the scent of the regular blue Aqua Velva and I was pleasantly surprised. It has a much "younger" scent and also has some nice skincare ingredients (Vit E and Panthenol) that are not in the regular blue AV. The only real negative Ive found with this AS is that its not as widely available as some of the other drugstore aftershaves, I had to got about 5 or 6 stored before i found it. Other then that its a nice inexpensive aftershave for the younger men who dont like the old school scent of regular Aqua Velva.:thumbup:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Price

Costs $3-4. Very much in line with most other drugstore aftershaves. You get a plastic 3.5 oz bottle for that price.

Quality

Not bad for a drugstore product. It has glycerin and vitamin e and menthol. It is not a luxury product, but gets the job done. Quality is perhaps slightly better than your average drugstore/barbershop grade product, but not as good as some of the more expensive aftershaves out there. I like the shaker top that helps not to pour too much out and the plastic bottle would be nice for travel because it won't break easily.

Fights Razor Burn

I did not have razor burn when I tried this, but I imagine it would work okay for that. It has alcohol to disinfect and the menthol provides a nice, subtle cooling sensation.

Cooling Sensation

It's definitely there but it won't freeze your face off. Pretty nice actually but if you are looking for a menthol bomb look elsewhere.

Scent

Generic sport scent. Just like your average "sport" bodywash or deodorant. Totally synthetic but not unpleasant, definitely not as nice as some of the barbershop classic type scents or more expensive cologne scents. My guess is the scent doesn't stick around too long, but if you are wearing a nice cologne this might clash with it initially.

Efficacy

It does what it is supposed to do for the type of product it is.

Moisturizing

This is an alcohol based aftershave and you aren't going to get a ton of moisturizing from it, but I didn't find it excessively drying either. If moisturizing is a concern, follow up with an aftershave balm or moisturizer after it dries.

No Alcohol Burn

There was a very slight sting, but I applied it with wet hands to a wet face. The burn is definitely very mild, but is there.

Overall, this is a very decent product for the price and works pretty well. If you want to try an alcohol based aftershave but don't want to spend a lot of $ or if you like drugstore type aftershaves this one is worth checking out. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued so isn't readily available on all drugstore shelves anymore, though I have noticed some stores are still stocking it. You can also order it online at a few different places.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
1.00 star(s)
Ice Sport smells like the knock-off brand Cool Water, which I have no strong opinion for or against. I like cheap aftershaves and have a lot of fun with them, but while scents like Clubman and Old Spice have a timeless (or at least nostalgic) appeal, Ice Sport smells like any commonplace deodorant scent. Less people will will be offended by its odor, but less people will notice it too.

It's inexpensive, but it comes in a smaller, plastic bottle than the other drugstore aftershaves at the same price. However, if you plan on air travel, the plastic 3oz bottle fits perfectly within TSA regulations.

Alcohol aftershaves will obviously burn like alcohol, and I do not really see a difference in burn between different alcohol a/s.

The cooling sensation feels great in the summer months (or any time of year).

Overall, it's a cooling a/s that feels nice and has a generic "sport" scent.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
The Panthenol irritated my skin.
Nice Aftershave, effective and cheap. Does the job just right and smells exactly like cool water which i love as well . a Good AS for a college student on a budget
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Price I checked the clearance shelf at CVS, and what do I see but two bottle of AV Ice Sport for $1.00 each. I still would have bought them even at the original price of $4.00.

Quality Works like an AS should. It's about on par with all of the drugstore aftershaves.

Fights Razor Burn Any hints of razor burn were gone after using.

Cooling Sensation It does have menthol, however I wouldn't say it's as strong as regular AV. I was expecting more of a kick, but was okay.

Scent The scent is a "younger" kind of scent. I'd say it's comparable to a very light axe smell. Not in a bad way though.

Efficacy It works. Doesn't moisturize very much, but it still works pretty well.

Moisturizing Like I said, it doesn't moisturize that much. I usually apply a balm after using this.

No Alcohol Burn It will sting a little if you have some razor burn, but only for a few seconds. It helps me see where I need to improve on my technique.

I've been using this for about a month with a variety of razors and creams and I haven't had any negative reactions to it. It's a good, cheap splash that is readily available at most drugstores and supermarkets.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I picked this one up for a little variety and I'm glad I did.
Price is $2.99 for a 3 oz bottle at my local grocery store. The bottle is plastic, which I know is stigmatized as seeming cheap, but I like the fact that this could be thrown in a bag or travel kit without fear of breakage. Has added vitamins for the skin, and leaves my face feeling pretty nice, though it doesn't have much of a cooling sensation. The scent is really nice and fades fairly quickly.
I don't use it daily, but I will continue to keep it around.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
When I started down the road of trying aftershave splashes I was skeptical of the drugstore cowboys. I thought "Is this stuff really all it's cracked up to be or is it just nostalgia for the guys on B&B?" I here to join the cheering ranks. Aqua Velva makes some good stuff. Good and simple. Let's look at the ingredients:

SD Alcohol 40-B - denatured alcohol to cleanse and tone
Water - duh
Glycerine - for lubrication and moisturization
Fragrance - duh
Tocopheryl Acetate - Vitamin E
Panthenol - Vitamin B5
Menthol - duh
Benzophenone - this is a UV blocker for scents so that they don't break down
Violet 2/Blue 1 - coloring

AV Sport doesn't have all the crazy overseas botanicals and extracts but what it does have is a few simple ingredients to get the job done. It does have a few special things over the more traditional AV splashes. For Sport, Aqua Velva's added Vitamins E and B5. On top of that it's just about cheap as dirt.

The only excuse you have against it is scent. That's a personal thing and I won't hold it against anyone for not liking it. I agree with Tom that it kind of reminds me of Cool Water. But if you don't like the smell of Sport, try one of AV's other products and find something you do like.

Happy shaving.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This is a nice alternative to the standard Aqua Velva. The scent seems very fresh and clean, somewhat lighter than the original and sweeter. I like the extra vitamin E and the toning ability is top notch. The light menthol wakes me up without overpowering the scent. This is my new daily aftershave and the great price should not put anyone off.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Nice aftershave, affordable and effective. It is true that the scent resembles Davidoff Coolwater which is not bad at all.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This stuff is very pleasant to use and like mentioned earlier does not have the menthol amounts of the original blue. But a scent that a college student could be proud to use and a very clean refreshing scent that doesnt overpower. I actually kind of like the plastic bottle also for traveling reasons. I paid $4.49 and very happy with the results!!!
Price 10/10 - Competitively priced aftershave splash with some nourishing ingredients. There's more than just alcohol in here.

Quality 7/10 - I don't have much to draw from my limited experience with aftershave splashes. It does what it's supposed to do, but it doesn't go beyond that.

Fights razor burn 6/10 - Again, it does its job. It doesn't give you a license to shave like a yeti, it soothes. It does not heal.

Cooling sensation 7/10 - The high alcohol and menthol content gives this aftershave admirable cooling effects. You feel fresh and clean after using it.

Scent 7/10 - It smells about as good as can be expected for a product designed for mass consumption. I agree with above posts that the smell is reminiscent of Cool Water. It should be noted that the scent, although not euphoric, was a selling point for me.

Moisturizing 6/10 - I give this a purposefully low rating. It is my current summertime aftershave because it leaves my skin feeling clean. Not oily or greasy like many balms do once you start to sweat. During colder months it is not adequate to moisturize my skin.

No alcohol burn - This stuff is like my shaving sensi. Once applied it lets you know exactly how much damage your face has taken. It ranges from the Hulk face, (beginner going for an atg bbs shave) to no burn whatsoever.

*The label reads*

AQUA VELVA ICE SPORT COOLING AFTER SHAVE

Ice sport cooling after shave has a fresh, clean scent. Enriched with Vitamin E and ProVitamin B5, it leaves skin toned and refreshed.

Ingredients:SD Alcohol 40-B, Water, Glycerin, Fragrance, Tocopheryl Acetate, Panthenol, Menthol, Benzophenone 1, Ext, Violet 2, Blue 1
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
This stuff is great. Is it just me or does AV Sport smell just like Cool Water by Davidoff?

Awesome scent. It has a cooling effect, but not as much as Ice Blue AV. I wish it had just a little more menthol. Very nice anyway.

==Tom
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn