What's new

Apollo Travel Razor

Item Description

As a new member who has been gleefully gleaning this site for a few months before joining, I felt a contribution was in order. I’d like to share my latest acquisition, the APOLLO. This is a leather cased DE razor designed for travelling. I don’t know it’s actual age but it looks from the style and design around circa 1930-40. I purchased the set on Ebay for a ridiculous price considering that it is immaculate and looks completely unused. While I initially hesitated to deflower it, I brought it to use. At 69 grams it us not as heavy as my Merkur Progress (90g), but the knurled handle makes it easier to grip and control. As a fixed razor it compares with a setting of around 4 on the Progress.
In spite of many years DE experience, my initial shave was a fight. The Apollo is quick, and the wide blade aperture makes for an uncompromising cutting angle, requiring a very light touch when used in conjunction with a feather blade. I was not able to complete my usual four pass routine due to some irritation in the more sensitive neck areas, but with practice this is now possible. A south to north pass should only be attempted by the hard of face, steady handed pro unless you want your face to resemble seviche for your first few shaves. That said and done you get a very very close shave, as long as you take your time and remain focuses, an alum block is a real must as small nicks are a matter of course.
This razor is growing on me, and it’s proving hard to leaving purely for the purposes of traveling. Unfortunately I have sadly managed to damage on of the straps on the inside of the case as the leather is very brittle so if anyone has experience of replacing these, please let me know.

Latest reviews

As a new member who has been gleefully gleaning this site for a few months before joining, I felt a contribution was in order. I’d like to share my latest acquisition, the APOLLO. This is a leather cased DE razor designed for travelling. I don’t know it’s actual age but it looks from the style and design around circa 1930-40. I purchased the set on Ebay for a ridiculous price considering that it is immaculate and looks completely unused. While I initially hesitated to deflower it, I brought it to use. At 69 grams it us not as heavy as my Merkur Progress (90g), but the knurled handle makes it easier to grip and control. As a fixed razor it compares with a setting of around 4 on the Progress.
In spite of many years DE experience, my initial shave was a fight. The Apollo is quick, and the wide blade aperture makes for an uncompromising cutting angle, requiring a very light touch when used in conjunction with a feather blade. I was not able to complete my usual four pass routine due to some irritation in the more sensitive neck areas, but with practice this is now possible. A south to north pass should only be attempted by the hard of face, steady handed pro unless you want your face to resemble seviche for your first few shaves. That said and done you get a very very close shave, as long as you take your time and remain focuses, an alum block is a real must as small nicks are a matter of course.
This razor is growing on me, and it’s proving hard to leaving purely for the purposes of traveling. Unfortunately I have sadly managed to damage on of the straps on the inside of the case as the leather is very brittle so if anyone has experience of replacing these, please let me know.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)