What's new

AltInnsbruck

Can I PLEASE buy a sample of this from one of you gents? I am dying to try it!
Based solely on reviews, I bought this about six months ago and when I opened the bottle I thought it smelled awful so there it sat. I finally decided to give it a try just to see what all the great reviews are about and I am glad I did. I actually love the scent now - its a bit soapy, sweet, and floral - reminds my GF of Thrills gum. It is ridiculously cooling and the scent lasts all day - I could still smell it at 10pm! My face felt like butter all day so this is a keeper for sure!
Alt-Innsbruck is a new experience for me. If I used an after-shave splash previously, it was unscented witch hazel or Dominica Bay Rum. This is decidedly old-school European stuff, walking the fine line old fragrances have between freshly masculine and slightly feminine.

The menthol is immediately obvious on application, and it cools/tightens nicely. The alcohol burn is there, but not too bad overall - the cooling effect seems to help offset it. Once the menthol blows off, you are left with the scent of white tobacco flower - slightly vegetal, slightly powdery, a bit sweet, not at all like cured tobacco in the barn - as well as a hint of coumarin-like green hay notes. If you're a fan of citrus/oakmoss sport scents, or green/woody fougeres, this will be out of your comfort zone. But it's pleasant, and different aspects of the tobacco flower assert themselves as it wears through the day.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
lars7;2552346 said:
A very good product, a tad expensive but worth it. Highly refreshing feeling, very good companion for summer/warm months. Menthol and tobacco scent clearly present there, so if you're not a fan of either beware and try a sample first.

Why rate a product you think is very good a 56%?

Any way, I'm a huge fan of this AS. I was skeptical at first because of the licorice scent with tobacco and flowers. I don't like to eat licorice so I didn't think I'd like this. But I took a leap and ordered it anyway.

I am soooooo glad that I did, because the scent is AMAZING!!! It just works!! I'm not good at describing scents, but it is sweet and manly at the same time. It is not overpowering it just lays back and periodically hits your nose. It really is one of the best scents I've smelled!! I'm ordering another bottle now just to always have enough. It's performance is equally matched as well. It's moisturizing and soothing.

There is definately a menthol kick and a alcohol burn. But that's to be expected. The burn was gone in under a minute and the menthol lasted a good 5 to 10 minutes, but it was pleasant.

The only gripe I have, which has been mentioned is the bottle dispensing. You end up with more than you need. I wish it was more like the spout that the Speick ASL has. A minor complaint and one that you can control the more you use it.

FYI, I'm a fan of Speick ASL, TGR balm, Cade balm, and Pen's EF AS.

Go buy this now and don't waste another minute contemplating it. You will not regret it. The first review said the scent is a "love or hate it". I disagree with that statement. Tabac is a "love it or hate it". Alt-Innsbruck is a "love it or obsessed with it" scent. Universal to me.

Hoped this has persuaded someone on the fence.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
A very good product, a tad expensive but worth it. Highly refreshing feeling, very good companion for summer/warm months. Menthol and tobacco scent clearly present there, so if you're not a fan of either beware and try a sample first.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
2.00 star(s)
Three Words: Alt-Innsbruck is Amazing!!

Price: Compared to many aftershaves out there, AI can seem pricey. Why did I knock it only a couple of points - well you get what you pay for and AI is the only AS I've bought a backup bottle of and am considering another one on the off chance it ever gets reformulated.

Quality: Love the design of the bottle, however a reducer would be a nice addition.

Fights Razor Burn: This stuff let's me know when my edge on my straight isn't quite up to par and immediately gets to work healing the razor burn - I love it!

Cooling Sensation: It's mentholated and provides a nice cool feeling as it dries down.

Scent: Man, I absolutely love the scent. I can't wait until after shaving to get to this stuff and I find myself up to an hour later cupping my hand over my face to force more a smell into my nostrils. Love it!

Efficancy: Fights razor burn and works well. Not very moisturizing as it is an alcohol based splash.

Moisturizing: N/A - It is alcohol based so I don't feel like the product should get knocked for not moisturizing as one would not expect that from an alcohol based splash.

No Alcohol Burn: N/A contains alcohol so obviously it is going to burn.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Man, I love this stuff. Too bad it's not cheap ($27) , or I'd be using it twice a day! :thumbup1:

The scent is delicious, it's cooling and soothing, and is as close to aftershave perfection as I've found so far. The fragrance is very potent and lasts on me for several hours, so I wouldn't use a cologne/EDT with it.

The only drawback I've found (besides the price) is the bottle. It's a very attractive glass bottle with a classic old-world label, but the one thing it's missing is a flow restrictor, which makes it easy to accidentally pour out too much of this fantastic elixir. I'm thinking of transferring it to a spray bottle/atomizer for better control.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
The scent is amazing and it's very cooling (menthol). It is a splash and it has alcohol in it so yes it will burn but in a good way. I find it moisturizing for a splash aftershave.
I like everything about it except the price (I bought mine for twenty eight dollars) and the short lived scent which leads me apply more of it. :thumbup:

It holds its own against the more expensive aftershaves.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
This one scores high with me because of its uniqueness. I love the scent, and more or less save this aftershave as a reward for my better shaves (I have mastered the slant razor and now I'm learning how to master the straight razor).
I just had to review this....

This stuff is great. Has a menthol kick that made me wonder why I haven't been using menthol stuff regularly before. That feeling is like ice on your face for a solid 10-15 minutes after you put this stuff on. It does creep up though....so watch out how much you apply. A little goes a long way, but I'm always tempted to put on more than I probably should.

The scent is really unique. I've smelled lots of cologne's and aftershaves, but nothing smells quite like this at all that I've experienced. Prepare to be an original, except obviously for the other guys who are saavy enough to have found this gem.

The price is really good where I've seen it sold, so that's a plus. The quality is as good as it gets. I'm not complaining about the packaging, but it's nothing spectacular. Again, this scent is just awesome. I wouldn't call it a complex changing scent as it pretty much stays the same once the menthol has subsided. Think menthol sweetness, then the good part of the scent just stays with you for about 5-6 hours, but I've actually caught some of it when I shower the next day, so it probably stays close to the skin (mine anyways) for some time. There is no atomizer, thus the 0.

The menthol kick plus scent really does put this product into a category of its own in my opinion. Much love to the Alt Innsbruck. Now I just hope I'll be able to find more when this bottle is gone:scared:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Alt Innsbruck gets lots of love in the forums, but there is only one review!?!? Huh. I'll throw my 2¢ in then.

Price - $28 for a 100ml bottle is a bit steep, but after using it for a while now I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another bottle. For me, the scent is strong enough that it doubles as a cologne, so I'm really getting two products for this price.

Quality - Personally, I love the square, tall glass bottle and the black button cap. Hell, I even like the design of the sticker. My only gripe - I wish the spout was a bit smaller or had a reducer.

Fights Razor Burn - Check. Any alcohol splash does a nice job of calming razor burn on my skin, but Alt Innsbruck does a better job than most.

Cooling Sensation - Check! A very nice menthol kick without being obnoxious or numbing :thumbup1:

Scent - Too bad I can rate this product over 10. Without a doubt my favorite scent, ever. This isn't saying much as I am not a cologne guy, but I would bathe in Alt Innsbruck if given the opportunity.

Efficacy - It calms razor burn nicely, absorbs into the skin quickly, smells like a million bucks, and has a lasting scent on my skin. Effective indeed :thumbup1:

Moisturizing - For me, alcohol based aftershaves are NEVER moisturizing. If I don't follow up an alcohol based AS with a balm or moisturizer my skin will feel dry and tight. For this reason I have rated moisturizing N/A. I don't use alcohol based aftershaves to moisturize, do you?

No Alcohol Burn - Well, it contains alcohol and it burns, big surprise. Again, I rated this one N/A because this product should have an alcohol burn. BTW - I really enjoy the burn of alcohol based aftershaves.

Moral of the story? Alt Innsbruck is a classic, manly, superlative aftershave. What more can I say? Stop reading this review and go order yourself a bottle.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
1.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Very nice stuff- the natural tobacco is sweet and complex, and stays on my skin for quite a long time (6 hrs or so).
The menthol component is fantastic- any skin irritation I have goes away within about a minute after putting this on.
I've started mixing this with moisturizing cream 50/50, since it's a bit drying otherwise.
Definitely my choice of aftershave/daily cologne right now.
Good stuff.

As a fervent non-smoker I was worried about how I would react to this. I bought it blind based on the near-universal praise it gets here and you know what? I couldn't be more pleased.

It is fantastic for an alcohol aftershave. It's got a blast of menthol unlike anything I've experienced before (I add menthol to all my aftershaves, even the mentholated ones...I don't have to with Alt Innsbruck). This is a true face-freezer, guys. When the menthol finally subsides, you're left with a subtle, restrained floral-tobacco fragrance. It's sweet but pleasant, light, classy, and lasts between 4-6 hours on me. A truly-old-style product that's a joy to splash on after a shave.
Just got my first ever bottle of Alt-Innsbruck. The glass bottle and logo have a traditional authentic style which looks great. When I splashed the lotion on my face, the first thing which hit me strong was the menthol - never experienced any aftershave/cologne with a menthol kick like this one! Absolutely amazing cooling action. After 5 minutes or so the powerful menthol effect wears off and the floral tobacco scent comes into play. Staying power is good. I've been wearing this splash for 4 hours and the scent is evidently present with an overpowering note of calm floral tobacco... just like the faint smell of a distant tobacco field. Alt-Innsbruck is great value for money and what makes it special for me is its natural ingredients which kick in instantly and prove their power throughout the day. Alt-Innsbruck is now my favourite aftershave. It is wonderful and I give it top marks.:001_smile
Alt Innsbruck Cologne is loaded with menthol similar to Alcolado Glacial maybe more. The menthol is over powering when you smell it from the bottle but once its applied look out. Nice and cooling and if you have irritation this will take care of it. I have been using samples of Alt Innsbruck balm but that has much less menthol in it so the aroma is different. Overall this is a keeper.
I was always hesitant to pay $28 for an aftershave and have always had a special place in my heart for the "drug store" splashes.

Im surprised that this didn't have a review already. By viewing many SOTD shots, it looks like it is widely used and liked.

Price: I once joined the "Penny Pinchers Club" but since then I've never looked back. I don't mind dropping a little more for a product that is going to invigorate the senses of such an important part of the day. Comparing this product to the drug store favorites would not be fair because there are many qualities a $28 bottle has over a $8 bottle.

Quality: The bottle is quite nice. Very nice design on the front.

Fights Razor Burn: After having it for nearly two weeks I would have given it an 8 because I didn't have much of a need for it until this morning. I had a straight that needed a quick touch up on the barbers hone. I really used a lot more pressure than I would normally, especially on my chin. I have super dense chin whiskers so I have to take extra time on it or I'll regret the results after. I didn't draw any weepers but I felt a little more sore than usual and knew I was going to have an issue. I splashed my normal amount and it had a bite but immediately did I feel a quick healing effect. So by golly it's a 10!

Cooling Sensation: Being mentholated it had a nice effect to it. Im not a huge fan of menthol aftershaves but I had to give it a 10 because it was a good kick.

Scent: I think this is where the "love it or hate it" effect comes in with most folks. I love the scent. I don't base much on smell while the product Im using is in the bottle. This had a licorice scent to it while being confined in its lair. I normally don't use a cologne when I use such a potent strength of aftershave. And I would probably not recommend using a cologne with it. Im never a fan of top notes of scents but when it dries down it is real pleasant with a definite tobacco scent along with an English Leather reminder. Any thing with those resemblance's of English Leather gets an automatic 10.

Efficancy: This does a great job.

Moisturizing: Well not the greatest but fairs against other alcohol aftershaves. Living in the dry winter desert of Arizona I can usually find out how effective products are and this time of the year if it is a poor quality shaving soap, aftershave or shaving cream it really stands out. I didn't do my normal mixture of 444 so I can feel the effect alone. I did get tightness and dry but nothing luck some other products. And since I don't like balms besides 444, I can tell if something is extremely poor in this area. But it do well.

No Alcohol Burn: Move on because it's going to burn. Not like a hidden burn like Pinaud Bay Rum but immediately. I love it! Todays was more so than others because of the slight razor burn.

The final review. It will be in my final rotation when I clear out my stuff that just takes up space. I would put it in the Musgo Real overall category.
Top Bottom