What's new

Alba Aloe Mint Shave Cream

i use the UNSCENTED version. love that it's unscented (doesn't mess w/ your cologne) and organic.

i have a moderate beard and am an experienced shaver w/ a smooth hand.

i like this stuff. it's clear, so you can see what you're doing. it stays on for a stroke, and leaves a bit of oil on for a follow-up stroke.

it works pretty well for actual shaving, letting you get close w/o clogging the blade on my safety razor.

wish the tube was more earth-friendly (it's a plastic tube, not sure if it's recycled locally)

wish it moisturized more than it does - i follow my shave w/ moisturing lotion to make up for this.

but it's leagues better than the standard gillette foams/gels and alcohol-based creams, soaps, gels/foams.

i won't use any other b/c i like using unscented and organic, and it's a solid clean green shaving product.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Latherability
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
3.00 star(s)
Suzuki;239969 said:
This is my first product review, so I'll follow the standard format...

Price This stuff is very cheap - I got my 8oz tube for only $5 Canadian at a local health food store - this is below the $6 MSRP. You can find Alba products at drugstores with an organics/natural products section, health food stores, etc.

Quality The quality seems very good - the Alba products are well made products and this cream is hypo-allergenic, soap-free, paraben free, has no synthetic colors, is EU Cosmetics Directive compliant and uses 100% vegetarian ingredients. This all means that it is likely a good product for those with sensitive skin or who want to avoid products that contain parabens or SLS, etc.

This cream is loaded with good stuff, including organic aloe juice, vitamin E, jojobaoil, certified organic calendula, ginkgo biloba, green tea, mentha peppermint oil, menthol, vegetable glycerin, among others.

For a full list of the ingredients:

http://www.albabotanica.com/?id=65&pid=466

Scent The primary scent is a nice pepermint/menthol scent - more peppermint than menthol and not overpowering in any way. The scent quickly fades and doesn't interfere with any other scented products you may want to use - this is a plus as far as I'm concerned.

Laterability This is a brushless cream and my sense is you would both gum up your brush and have poor results if you tried to lather this stuff.

The directions for use are as follows:

Rinse skin thoroughly with warm water. Apply a thin, transparent layer over damp skin. Shave normally, rinsing razor periodically.
*NOTE: Performs best when used sparingly.

Efficacy All I can say is that this stuff works - I bought it for rush shaves at work/gym, etc. and it works very well. I've used this with cartridge razors, as well as injectors and it works very well.

You get a nice pepermint/menthol cooling effect and a very smooth shave. I've torture tested this stuff with crappy cartridge razors and quick shaves with narry a problem. As part of my testing, I applied alcohol-based aftershaves that often burn like the fires of Hades - no burn when I used the Alba.

I reapply between passes, which takes minimal time and you still don't use a lot of product for a shave.

Moisturizing In addition to being a very slick product, this cream provides a good amount of moisturizing/conditioning. I think this is due to the combination of aloe, jojoba and glycerine. I think this would be a good product for those with dry skin.

Packaging Green plastic squeeze tube with a flip cap. Its not fancy or pretty, but it works - what more do you need or expect from a product that costs $5.

Summary While I'm not giving up my brushes anytime soon, this is a good product for those who want to go brushless and would make a good product for use at work, the gym or travel - or any other time/situation when you need to shave in a hurry or don't want to bother with a brush.

I had low expectations for this product - all of which were exceeded. Its an interesting product that works well (when used as directed) and is worth trying if your shaving needs include having to take quick/impromptu shaves.

If you don't like mint, Alba makes shave creams in other flavours (Coconut Lime, Mango Vanilla and Unscented) - all of which share many of the same ingredients as the Aloe Mint.
Thank's for the info, had a tube in hand at the local Dominick,s and held off buying until I caught a badger review. The plus side is now my wife can grab some with the groceries. Is this a great country or what? All the Best Ohenry
Good for a hurry, but not a quality shave. I am returning to Sprout's for Tom's of Maine.
I got this cream a while back when I was traveling, used it a few times and then I switched onto other creams. Couple days back I tried it again as I was in a hurry and I am glad I did as I think that this is a good choice for shaves when time is of the essence.

My skin can be fairly dry at some times and while using this product I haven't noticed any dryness so I think this cream is pretty good in the moisturizing area.

This is a brushless cream so as long as you prep your face properly with warm water the result should be pretty good. I love the scent as well not too strong and not too light.

Again considering the cost I would definitely recommend this product and buy it again.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing Properties
4.00 star(s)
This is the first product I have used that made shaving 'fun'. I used to use regular drug store products with my M3, but was amazed when I switched to this stuff.

The Wife uses the Mango Vanilla scent, and I use the Coconut Lime. The fact that it comes in the small travel sized tubes is also a plus for us.
Just tried Alba's Coconut Lime Shaving Cream/Lube for the first time. It provided a quick, acceptable one pass shave. They also have small 1.5 oz tubes that should be great for travel.

Rick
I finally got around to visiting the local Vitamin Shoppe to pick up some Kiss My Face shaving cream like the kind Mantic had in his videos. While the store had other KMF lotions/products, they seemed to be out of shaving cream :frown: . I turned around and saw a big display of Tom's of Maine...but they didn't have any of that either. :mad:

Not to be denied, I bought a tube of the Alba Coconut Lime. Assuming shaving cream is shaving cream, I didn't bother to read the directions and tried to apply my badger brush to it. The result was no foam and a lot of disappointment.

Thanks to your review I will go back and try doing the right way instead of kicking myself for buying a product on a whim. The cream had a pleasant smell and seemed like good quality stuff. Seems like it should be called shaving lubricant rather than cream.
My first post (and review).

I've been using the Mango version for years and really like it . . . I think it's the best of the creams that one is likely to find in places such as Whole Foods (Toms, Kiss My Face, Jason, etc.)
This is my first product review, so I'll follow the standard format...

Price This stuff is very cheap - I got my 8oz tube for only $5 Canadian at a local health food store - this is below the $6 MSRP. You can find Alba products at drugstores with an organics/natural products section, health food stores, etc.

Quality The quality seems very good - the Alba products are well made products and this cream is hypo-allergenic, soap-free, paraben free, has no synthetic colors, is EU Cosmetics Directive compliant and uses 100% vegetarian ingredients. This all means that it is likely a good product for those with sensitive skin or who want to avoid products that contain parabens or SLS, etc.

This cream is loaded with good stuff, including organic aloe juice, vitamin E, jojobaoil, certified organic calendula, ginkgo biloba, green tea, mentha peppermint oil, menthol, vegetable glycerin, among others.

For a full list of the ingredients:

http://www.albabotanica.com/?id=65&pid=466

Scent The primary scent is a nice pepermint/menthol scent - more peppermint than menthol and not overpowering in any way. The scent quickly fades and doesn't interfere with any other scented products you may want to use - this is a plus as far as I'm concerned.

Laterability This is a brushless cream and my sense is you would both gum up your brush and have poor results if you tried to lather this stuff.

The directions for use are as follows:

Rinse skin thoroughly with warm water. Apply a thin, transparent layer over damp skin. Shave normally, rinsing razor periodically.
*NOTE: Performs best when used sparingly.

Efficacy All I can say is that this stuff works - I bought it for rush shaves at work/gym, etc. and it works very well. I've used this with cartridge razors, as well as injectors and it works very well.

You get a nice pepermint/menthol cooling effect and a very smooth shave. I've torture tested this stuff with crappy cartridge razors and quick shaves with narry a problem. As part of my testing, I applied alcohol-based aftershaves that often burn like the fires of Hades - no burn when I used the Alba.

I reapply between passes, which takes minimal time and you still don't use a lot of product for a shave.

Moisturizing In addition to being a very slick product, this cream provides a good amount of moisturizing/conditioning. I think this is due to the combination of aloe, jojoba and glycerine. I think this would be a good product for those with dry skin.

Packaging Green plastic squeeze tube with a flip cap. Its not fancy or pretty, but it works - what more do you need or expect from a product that costs $5.

Summary While I'm not giving up my brushes anytime soon, this is a good product for those who want to go brushless and would make a good product for use at work, the gym or travel - or any other time/situation when you need to shave in a hurry or don't want to bother with a brush.

I had low expectations for this product - all of which were exceeded. Its an interesting product that works well (when used as directed) and is worth trying if your shaving needs include having to take quick/impromptu shaves.

If you don't like mint, Alba makes shave creams in other flavours (Coconut Lime, Mango Vanilla and Unscented) - all of which share many of the same ingredients as the Aloe Mint.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Latherability
1.00 star(s)