What's new

Afta...."By Mennen!"

Pros: Feels good and the Wife loves the scent.
Cons: NONE
I had seen it for years but never tried till this Summer. Found it on clearance at my Dollar General Store for $1.25 a bottle I bough all they had. Wife really likes it scent and after about a Hour you can put on other scent and there is no clashing.

It comes in standard and Menthol. All I have used has been the Standard scent.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
This is a product I have used off and on since my cartridge days (when I am not in the mood for Nivea Replenishing Post Shave Balm.) It is a low-cost, fairly accessible post shave lotion but with that comes some flaws.

Besides the low-cost and accessibility, the main positives are the scent and moisturizing aspect. The scent is very good and even though it's old, it's classic, which is part of the reason some of us went to DE shaving in the first place.

The cons of the product includes alcohol burn, the ability to combat razor burn and the cooling sensation. I find the alcohol burn and cooling sensation the two main negatives of the product as it does sooth the pain but it's like getting the initial sting of iodine on a fresh cut. Immediately, it stings and don't feel good. For fighting razor burn, it does it OK but I rather combine it with the Nivea Replenishing balm for that aspect. It gives the best of both worlds, a soothing and replenishing touch with a very good, classic smell.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Price, scent. moisturizing
No alcohol burn, scent is different but I like it. You can't beat the price. It is kind of goopy but that just means a little goes a long way. Keep your face a little wet and it goes on just fine. Leaves your face super soft and moisturized. I laugh at the guys who think they need to spend $20+ dollars a bottle on aftershave. This, aqua velva ice blue, and skin bracer work just fine for me. I guess if you have the extra money to blow on other products go ahead. But they're all the same except for scent.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Dries quickly. Doesn't smell too bad. Inexpensive. Calms the face well after a bad shave.
Cons: Smell lasts a while.
After trying various newer Gillette concoctions, Aqua-Velva, and Nivea ASB, my wife got me this. They all worked satisfactorily for me, and I didn't mind the scent of all but the Aqua-Velva (really didn't like the AV). So my wife buys me a bottle of Afta and says "I like the way this smells". So I tried it. I like the subtle alcohol burn it gives (not like AV, that burns like the fires of hell). There's no cooling effect I've noticed, but it leaves my face smooth and free of irritation. The scent is kind of nice (fresh?). Some folks say it goes away after a few minutes, but I find I can still smell a hint of it after a few hours. So I guess it's another one of those things that's different for everybody.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
2.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: price, scent, moisturizing
Cons: lots of artificial chemicals, contains parabens
Price: $2.50 (US) for 3 oz (88.7 ml)–$0.83 per oz, by volume

Quality: Lots of artificial chemicals and fragrances, but one gets what one pays for.

Fights Razor Burn: Afta Original is surprisingly effective against razor burn.

Cooling Sensation: It is plenty for me.

Scent: Clean and masculine, but definitely artificial.

Efficacy: Another surprise, but it works well.

Moisturizing: Just good enough.

No Alcohol Burn: I can tell it contains alcohol, but the burn isn't bad.

Ingredients: Water, Sd Alcohol 40, Peg-8 Distearate, Ppg-2 Myristyl Ether Propionate, Fragrance, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Peg-2 Stearate Se, Stearic Acid, Propylparaben, Allantoin, Bht, Disodium Edta, Fd&C Blue No. 1
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
1.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
3.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Well this AS has been around forever. I guess you would call it a balm. I've been using it off and on since college days.

The product works. It gives a nice cooling sensation at first, and moisturizes well. The best thing for me is the scent. I swear it's got a leather note in it. Like leather and a spice. So try this, you might be one of the ones that really likes this scent as I do.

And yes, this is a mass market product and it's produced with mostly mass market ingredients, but the price at my store is under $3 at present.

If you want a dependable grocery store or drug store product with some good moisturizing properities (contains allantoin) look no further than afta.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
which isn't a terrible thing, especially at this price! I get more use out of this before I blade buff, put a little dab on, then re-apply the shaving cream over the top for another pass and it seems to help... Nothing cheaper than this I fear, it's not 'bad,' just not great...
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I've been using this product for years and I absolutely love the scent. Very masculine and refreshing. This leaves my face feeling soothed and pampered. I've tried more expensive products with more exotic ingredients (like the Nivea line of AS balms) but they actually irritated my skin, despite their fancy ingredients. This stuff works like a charm. It's been around for years. There is a reason for that.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
I began using this awhile back, while shaving with the Fusion. I found of all aftershaves I tried, this fit the best. The reason for that is my neck was entirely ***'d up after every shave, this stuff cured it one day. This stuff is unbeatable for purely medical reasons. The smell sucks, but that's ok, it disappears in 5 mins, and if you wear cologne it definitely does not interfere with it. Now that I've switch to DE shaving, I don't have to rely on this cheap, effective work horse.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I have a very heavy,tough to shave beard along with allergies and highly sensitive skin,especially on my neck. In my nearly 35 yrs of shaving,I've used hundreds of aftershave products. These run the gamut from cheap to VERY expensive. I must say that Mennen Afta has been one of the best and most consistent I have used. It has never caused an allergic skin reaction and is very soothing in general. The fragrance is not great but its not offensive or overwhelming either. And the price is very reasonable. For guys with sensitive skin and tough beards, I strongly recommend it.
Overall, it was average. Not bad, but definitely not my first pick. At least it was cheap. I guess you could call the scent "Fresh," but to me it smelled like laundry detergent. There wasn't really a cooling sensation, but there wasn't any burn either, so it gets a 5. It was actually pretty moisturizing and a little goes a long way. If you've got nothing else, you could get by with this, but there is much better stuff just down the shelf.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
2.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I got this when I first started DE shaving. I had my bride take a whiff. The wife was repulsed, said it reminded her of her Granddad, and it had to go! I fished it out of the trash when she wasn't looking and promptly forgot about it.

Thought about it again when I had a rough shave weeks later. On went the Afta. It was soothing, after some mild initial burn, and the irritation on my neck went away. There was something to this drugstore stuff.

It's pretty goopy, certainly not a splash, and the first impression I got on application that it was greasy and that I'd regret putting it on. The greasy feeling faded quickly, and it wasn't noticeable to the touch after a couple minutes. The scent, love it or hate it, fades in about an hour or less on me. A little goes a long way, and when I do use it it usually goes only on the neck.

If you like natural stuff, look elsewhere. The ingredients read like a chemistry textbook, with the first two being water and alcohol. That PPG-2 Myristyl Ether Propionate sounds mysterious, and the Diazolidinyl Urea just doesn't sound good at all. Maybe it's best not to read the ingredients.

Surprisingly, the wife has decided she doesn't despise the smell, she merely dislikes it. Oh, well.

I'm not an Afta fanatic, and I have since acquired some other balms that I reach for first.

Every once in awhile, however, I find myself putting on the Afta. Maybe it's the goofy name, maybe it's the, er, nostalgia of the scent, maybe it's because I can still hear the little "By Mennen!" jingle in my mind when I see it, or maybe it's because it does work as a balm, afta all.

I'm a little curious as to why this classic hasn't had a review yet, and I suspect that Afta has a reputation in the wet shaving world akin to the girl in school who was a hard on the eyes but easy otherwise. It's not something you'd brag about, but by golly, it's there.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
3.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
2.00 star(s)