What's new

Acadian Spice Bay Rum

Pros: Wonderful Scent, Moisturizing, Gentle
Cons: N/A
One of the nicest aspects of traditional wet shaving that I've run across is the breadth and depth of products available, seemingly tailored to every need that a guy could want. Razors, Blades, Brushes, Shaving Soaps and Creams and Croaps, etc., the variety of offerings is just stunning.

But perhaps the area that seems to be the most individualistic at times is the world of After Shaves. It makes sense, considering that for some, it's like choosing your personal "scent" / "cologne" in some ways. It's what you'll be smelling and others will smell on you. Of course there are many AS that fade quickly, allowing us to then use a cologne of our choice. Then you factor in skin sensitivity, the love (or hate) of the "bracing / burning" sensation of using alcohol-based Splashes vs. Balms or Lotions (or Shea Butter), and it turns into an area where personal preference is king.

As I've jumped into the world of traditional shaving, I've been looking for products that work for my sensitive skin, and for products that stay away from as many synthetic / toxic chemicals as possible, while still being effective and excellent.

Thanks to all you veterans out there, I found some amazing All-Natural Kickbutt Shaving Soap Products like Martin de Candre, Mike's Natural Soaps, Mystic Water, Queen Charlotte Soaps and more.

I was curious if there were any After Shave equivalents to the efficacy and purity of those Natural Shaving Soaps. And thanks to so many recommendations, I found Krampert's Finest Bay Rum Acadian Spice After Shave.

Initially, I wasn't sure if I'd like a traditional Bay Rum scent, but speaking with Mr. Krampert, I was told it was nothing like the funky smell that many would associate with a "Bay Rum." It's also lovingly hand-crafted in small batches in Maine, U.S.A. So I decided to try it. My package arrived quickly and safely. I eagerly opened up the bottle and took a whiff:

A *natural* gentle fragrance bathed my nose. Nothing overwhelming; just something that made me think of another time. I was planning on shaving the next day, so I put back the bottle and waited for the morning.

The next morning, I prepped myself for a traditional DE shave, and after finishing up and using a bit of Witch Hazel Toner, I shook the bottle of Krampert's Finest Bay Rum, and gingerly applied it to my face.

There's an initial subtle burn (there is Alcohol in it), but it goes away quickly; it's nowhere near as intense as, say, Floid Amber After Shave. But what makes the experience so pleasant is the scent:

It's a proprietary mixture of all natural essential oils and spices, and my nose picks up the smell of *real* cinnamon, cloves and fragrant spices.

It reminds me of the Holidays with family and friends. There's a happy feeling that gets evoked from this wonderful spice blend, and with my sensitive nose and personal experience as a longtime cook, I can tell this smells like the real cinnamon and spices I use to cook every day. :wink2:

Besides the excellent natural fragrance, is the skin sensation after applying it:

My face and skin feel soft and moisturized; not dried out like how traditional alcohol-heavy splashes might leave one's skin. I was very surprised, but then remembered S's comment about how moisturizing it was; it really is! :001_smile

45 minutes later and I can still smell a faint, gentle undertone of the cinnamon, cloves and spices, but it's never overpowering.

And best of all, it only registers as a "1" on the EWG toxicity database, which is awesome! (the lower the number, the better. Many commercial / mainstream products I've checked are much higher.)

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product.php?prod_id=503854

From the pleasing, genuinely satisfying scent, to the gentle, moisturizing properties after applying it to your skin, to the all-natural ingredients, Krampert's Finest Bay Rum Acadian Spice After Shave has quickly become my favorite after shave. Highly recommended. :001_smile

Krampert's Finest Bay Rum Acadian Spice After Shave
http://www.krampertsfinest.com/

(Score (out of a maximum 10.0))

* Scent: 9.5
* Moisturizing: 9.0
* Quality: 10.0

* Overall: 9.5
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: A little goes a long way, and is not greasy
Cons: need a larger size, and only available online
Krampert's Finest Bay Rum AS
It is a great product, and am glad it is now available at Bullgoose- http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/krfiacspbayr.html

as well as the KF website- http://www.krampertsfinest.com/

The smell is great! not over-powering, but just enough to help carry-over into the next few hours after shaving, and can be *refreshed* with a light rub of water on the cheeks

It doesn't burn, but has a light cooling sensation. I use it after rinsing alum off my face, a light pat-dry, and on with the KFBR!

Excellent product... just need a bigger container!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Moisturizing & light
Cons: N/A
Price: I don't live in Maine so I can't purchase this product but I had some gifted to me. Thanks so much Brian! So price, even if I had paid the retail that I see others mention would certainly be worth every cent and still receive a "10" from me.

Quality: Simply superb. I've not used another product that worked so brilliantly. Mr. Krampert has a market changer on his hands here.

Fights Razor Burn: I have nothing in my post-shave arsenal that works as well as this bay rum for repairing my skin after a harsh shave.

Cooling Sensation: N/A

Scent: To put it nicely I have only ever tolerated bay rum scents and my wife has vetoed each bay rum I've let her sniff. Krampert's Finest is the only bay rum that I thoroughly enjoy the scent of and even my wife likes it. She still doesn't like the smell of it in the bottle, but something magic happens when it interacts with my skin and then it get's a two thumbs up and even a wink!

Efficacy: This stuff is the epitome of efficacy for an aftershave product. It removes any irritation and repairs the skin from a rough or harsh shave. It doesn't require a horrible alcohol burning sensation to do it either. It does not dry out your skin, in fact it has better moisturizing capability than many balms I've tried. It leaves my face/neck feeling refreshed, smooth, and soft after each use. Bottom line is that Krampert's Finest actually accomplishes what all other aftershave products set out to do.

Moisturizing: This is the reason that Mr. Krampert shared his product with me. I have pretty dehydrated skin which causes my face to overproduce oil and gives me an oily complexion. Most splashes leave me way to dry and tight while most balms leave me greasy and sticky. This bay rum hydrates my skin amazingly. If I need more moisturizing then I just use more product. It never leaves my face with that Sahara desert dry and tight feeling that so many other alcohol based splashes do. It's quite amazing what Mr. Krampert has accomplished with a splash type aftershave since it moisturizes better than many thick balms.

No Alcohol Burn: Being a bay rum I was kind of expecting a decent burn when applied after a rough shave. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of this. The most I could say that I've noticed is a gentle warming sensation that just feels comforting. Maybe that's all those quality ingredients going to work helping to repair my skin.

I said it before and I'll say it again... Krampert's Finest Bay Rum is a market changer. He's put together the best aspects of a splash, with the best aspects of a moisturizing balm and delivers it all in a classically masculine scent that makes you feel confident and wise. You won't come across as some punk kid who you can smell coming around the corner. You also won't be wondering where this amazing scent disappeared to just minutes after application. It's there subtly all day if you really look for it. This is surely the bay rum of gentlemen!

Thank you for a wonderful product!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Moisturizing, soothing, all natural and a great scent.
Cons: The bottle top, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to use it all the time.
Here's my thoughts on Krampert's Finest Bay Rum:

Price : 9 (could be a 10 if it was free)
Not bad. You could spend a lot more and get a lot less. And remember, a little goes a long way, you won't be running out anytime soon.

Quality: 10
No weird stuff going on here gents. All natural product that you could drink if you wanted *that is, if Brian didn't put stuff in it to stop you from doing so*

Fights Razor Burn : 10
Definitely. I've been prone to some major hack jobs and a few nasty encounters with a blade or two of questionable quality (that and my technique SUCKED for awhile) and it's never failed to calm the red down and get me back in shape. Despite what I could do to mangle my face, this stuff has always gotten rid of the burn, never had to skip a day shaving to let my skin mellow.

Cooling : N/A
Not what it's intended for, was never made to be that way, so it isn't.

Efficacy:
No rating, I mean, c'mon how do you rate that? It's not thick like a balm, and not watery like a regular aftershave (like AV etc etc). The slight "thickness" helps keep you from pouring too much and helps it stay on your hands when applying. If I had to give it a number, I would say 10, just because it does what it's supposed to do. It's not a balm, it's not a splash, it just is.

Moisturizing - 10
Most definitely. Does a VERY good job on this end. I don't use moisturizer on my face ("t" area excluded) anymore. This has replaced it, and smells better too.

Scent - 10
Yes, it does in fact have one. And it's pretty good too. I don't have a huge Bay Rum background to base this off, but it just smells damn good. Hints of clove and other spice, with a mellow rum background. Don't judge it in the bottle, you won't like it. As soon as you pour some out into your hand, it all changes. As soon as it hits your skin, it mellows, and instead of smelling just ok in the bottle, it really explodes and develops nicely. It does stick around for awhile, doesn't just do it's job and leave. I can usually pick it up several hours later, albeit not as strong.

Burn - 9.5
The only way you're going to feel this, is if you hack yourself half to death. The way I know I did a real bad job, is if the witch hazel stings, and then I feel a tingle when I put this on. Any other day, even with a bit of razo-rash, nothing, just goes on. If you like your face to feel as if you put a blow torch to it when you're done, not for you. I for one, do not like pain, especially face pain, so this works for me. Would be a 10 but doesn't quite have "no burn" like dipping your face in a bowl of vanilla ice cream.

Packaging - 8
Don't let this stop you, my lowest rating for the product. The bottles they use (actually, it's really the bottle top) could use some improvement. The pop-top doesn't meter as good as it could. HOWEVER, that being said, Brian knows how I feel about this, and he agrees. So as soon as this run is gone, he's most likely going with a supplier that has a better top. So that will bump this to a 10. Has a nice label too, kind of surprising for a handmade, small batch product.

Buy it again - 10
But not for awhile. Like I said guys, a few drops is all you need, and the 4 oz. bottle will last you a long time. I use this every shave, and after a month and a half use, I'm not 1/8th gone. I figure 4 oz. will last me almost a year.

Yes, they do have a shave enhancer. Yes I use it. Will I be buying more? Uh huh. It makes any soap smell nice (tried it with Arko, bowl lathered, and yes, changes that too), and makes the easiest creamiest lather. Also helps you use a bit more water so your awesome bowl of puffy clouds isn't drying out by your 3rd pass. Not the cheapest thing in the world, but a little goes a long way. So cost per shave is very cheap.

I hear they're also working on a "summer" aftershave, (this one does remind me of fall, and the holidays, thanks to the spice notes), looking forward to buying a bottle of that too!

Overall : 9.61 Try it, you won't be disappointed, and even if it's not your favorite, you'll like it enough to keep it in the rotation. :thumbup1:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Scent, moisturizing properties
Cons: container design
I received a sample of this product from Brian K. Overall, I think its a very good product which I don't hesitate to recommend. While technically a splash, it is closer to a balm in moisturizing properties. I find this to be a "best of both worlds" type of product. Goes on light like a splash, moisturizes like a balm

Price: $10.99 for a 4 oz bottle. Not AV cheap, but not terribly expensive either. AS is one category I don't skimp in. You get what you pay for IMO, particularly in the moisturizing department

Quality: The bottle I received was a small tester, but overall I feel this is a very good quality product. My only complaint here is the actual bottle. It has a spout to pour from, and I prefer a twist off with a narrow opening. Of course, you could twist off the cap that is currently available, but with a spout it just feels intuitive to use it. Again, not a big issue, but Brian did tell me that he was looking into other options.

Fights Razor Burn: I apply about a quarter size of product, and this very quickly soothes irritation. Does exactly what its supposed to.

Cooling Sensation: I don't believe this contains menthol, so if you're looking for that freeze your face feel, look elsewhere. It does provide burn relief, however.

Scent: This is what I was most impressed with. The scent is fantastic. There is just enough clove that you really smell it, but it isn't suffocating. I also detect some cardamom and sage. Really, a terrific scent that would go well with any Bay Rum soap, or you can use it as a follow up to CADE soap, which I think it complements quite nicely.

Efficacy: Works well. A quarter sized provides all the protection I need

Moisturizing: For an alcohol based splash, the moisturizing is through the roof. I haven't tried a splash that even comes close, including the extremely expensive Italian ones

No Alcohol Burn: Oddly, there is no burn with this product. Once I nicked myself rather badly on my neck because I was trying to multi-task while shaving, and I noticed a little bit of burn. But that was the only time. Even with minor nicks and cuts, no burn. I don't know why, but its a nice change of pace

Overall: A fantastic product with an excellent scent. If you find balms too heavy, but splashes don't provide enough protection, then this is the product for you. It goes on light and dries quickly without leaving that heavy oily feel or a lot of sheen, but it provides much more protection than your everyday splashes. Combined with the scent, its great. If you like the woody aspect of CADE soap, then try this as a light, refreshing alternative to L'Occitaine's heavy and expensive balms
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
3.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Description: I'm not keen on the bay rum aftershaves I've purchased in the past, but became interested in this product based on the original poster's review. I prefer to use traditional, old school shaving products, especially so during my family's annual vacation to Victorian Cape May, NJ, so I purchased a bottle just before leaving and used it exclusively during our week's stay.
Its performance impressed me enough to write my first review on this forum.

Ingredients: (From the website): Plant extracts, rum, moisturizers, essential oil, spices. Contains Bitrex to prevent drinking.

Price: Available on website only..... $10.99 plus $3.99 shipping for 1st bottle, $0.99 for additional bottles.

Quality: Simply excellent.

Fights Razor Burn: I rarely have razor burn, but did have some sun and windburn on my face during my recent vacation. Krampert's provided very effective and soothing relief for this.

Cooling Sensation: None detected, but the product does not contain menthol.

Scent: Initially, a very warm bay rum fragrance, reminiscent of freshly baked spice cookies. The initial scent fades during the course of a half hour or so, leaving a very light but pleasant wood fragrance reminiscent of cedar or oak.... perhaps from the casks used to age the rum used in the preparation.

Efficacy: A perfect finish to a fine shave. Quickly tones up the face, taming any rough spots or small nicks, leaving the skin soft and supple. Has a drydown similar to Musgo Real, leaving a very light tack to the face (which I quite like), acting as a sealant or protectant similar to Trumper's Skin Food (but not anywhere near as heavy).

Moisturizing: Sufficient to the task, at least during the summertime when I tested it. Neither too much nor too little. The jury's still out on its ability to provide sufficient moisture during the winter months, but it of course can be supplemented with an additional moisturizer.

Alcohol Burn: None detected. One is aware that alcohol is present, but its effect is more bracing in nature.

Mr. Krampert has hand-crafted an excellent product at a very good price, right here in the United States. I'm glad I took a chance on giving bay rum another try...I've finally found one that I will be happy to use on a daily basis. It's well worth it to own a bottle or two.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
0.00 star(s)
Quality
0.00 star(s)
Efficacy
0.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
0.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
0.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
0.00 star(s)
Pros: Soothing, moisturizing, healing product
Cons: none
I got the sample too. I don't know Mr. Krampert; I was merely one of the chosen members to try his aftershave.

This product rocks, gentlemen! I prepped my face the usual way, I used Martin de Candre soap and shaved with a 6/8 Le Grelot (French day!). I did my regular 3 passes and finished with a cold water rinse. I then applied Mr. Krampert's wonderful concoction over my BBS shave. There was absolutely no sting (even though I gave myself a couple of weepers!). The scent was quite pleasant and mild; I would describe it as rum meets pine-forest in the summer heat. But the best part was the effect on my skin. No aftershave I have ever used felt quite this soothing, healing and my skin never felt this supple and smooth. Not greasy, just well toned and moisturized. There was no need for any balm.

The scent is quite fleeting; mild and pleasant, but doesn't last. This is a plus for me, as it won't interfere with my cologne. And the best part is the girlfriend likes it.

I highly recommend this product. Anyone with normal to dry skin should give it a try.
Price
0.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
1.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
D
Pros: Irritation relief, moisturizing properties
Cons: Scent wasn't as lasting as I prefer
I used the aftershave for the first time this morning. To give it a fair shake for irritation relief I did not use witch hazel post-shave as I normally would. As per usual, I had quite a bit of redness and irritation along my jawline. I applied a small amount of the bay rum and I could tell it was very moisturizing, but in a subdued way. It's not sticky or greasy at all. My face has been moisturized all day and the irritation went away within a few minutes of application. The scent is a little strong out in the bottle, but finishes very nicely once on the skin. If I had one complaint, it would be that the scent didn't last long enough. But, the irritation relief and moisturizing properties make me want to come back for more. A+
Price
3.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
0.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Best smelling bay rum I've ever tried!!!
Cons: Only available online
I received a sample of this bay rum from BrianK in return for a PIF that he won. I'm not one to expect something back from a PIF, I can't say no when I get the chance to try something new.

I'm usually not a huge bay rum fan, so although I really wanted to try the product to see how it stacked against other bay rum scents, I didn't expect to use it regularly. Superior 70 is too mild and medicinal to my nose, Masters is too sweet and sticky, and Col Conk didn't impress me too much either. On top of that, SWMBO never really liked any of those bay rum scents I brought home. When I tried Krampert's Finest, she and I both agreed that this bay rum smelled better than the other 2 I tried, and it's become a part of my rotation!!! The scent (my favorite part) is hard to describe. There's some quality spices in there, very manly and invigorating, and smells good enough to drink--but don't do that!!!

I got to try a pre-production sample, and later a recent batch with more moisturizers. I prefer the new formulation with more moisturizer. I always have to apply a moisturizer after Skin Bracer or Clubman, but not with this one. It's somewhere in between Aqua Velva and Speick. I gave the "cooling sensation" rating a 6--it's refreshing, but with no menthol kick and no burn.

It's only available online, so with the price you have to factor in shipping. This was my first time trying an aftershave product by a Badger and Blade member, and I'm very impressed to see that this AS made in small batches is so effective (and smells so good). Two thumbs up to BrianK on this one, it's a winner. :thumbup:
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)