What's new

8/8 Damascus Bois de Rose Maestro Livi

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Man o man... just that box is good lookin' enough eh? Alright, alright - down to business, the razor....

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Well... as you can clearly see, this is just a stunningly beautiful razor... but while a picture is worth a thousand words, an experience is worth endless....

The "Experience" - Well first, before we get to it... one BIG gripe with this razor were 2 "minor" fit and finish issues I wouldn't be please with on a $150 razor... let alone an $850 razor.

#1 -
A random notch is cut/milled into the bottom of the scales... really takes away from the look/feel of the razor, as it is a pretty noticible blemish...
displayimage.php

#2 -
This one really gets me... the "monkey tail" aka tang rubs/slides against the scales which make it feel like a shotty Wacker when opening. Come on... and $850 handmade razor the guy didn't open/check? :cursing:
displayimage.php

Closer....
displayimage.php

Alright, now that I've got my gripes outta the way - here's the positives....

#1 -
The handle on this razor (save for the aformentioned gripe #1) is simply gorgeous. It is one solid piece of Bois De Rose wood, looks stunning, is polished beautifully, etc. The pics don't lie...

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

#2 -
The blade on this razor is simply stunning....

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

#3 -
It's a pretty darn good shaver. Now, it is exceptionally hard steel - which isn't a bad thing, but it is a "firm" shaving razor. While this is a first rate shaver, I would give it a 9 out of 10 as while it is great, I don't think it is "outstanding" as they are often dubbed, and I feel a mint dubl duck, puma - or TI will shave as good, and often better, and a good Japanese razor, or a Robert Williams razor will shave notably superior. The rumor is the Takeda Damascus Livi's are better than the standard "damascus" Livi's - however I have been trying to get one for 8 months, without luck - and sort of gave up/lost interest - so I cannot comment on these.

#4 -
The razor has a great feel, and overall is again, quite the looker (I can't stress this enough).

Conclusion...
Alright - alright, the bottom line: yeah... it's a nice, handmade, one of a kind, super rare, whiz bang, ne plus whatever razor.... but it's a lot of money... and I feel in this price range/category there are better options. For instance, a Robert Williams razor will have much better fit and finish, outshave a Maestro, get to you MUCH sooner, and be much easier to purchase/acquire (and is done so by the maker direct), is handmade in America by a forum member, and above all.... is CHEAPER.... much, much cheaper. Now don't get me wrong, and don't take this the wrong way for one second.... Maestro's are very, I mean VERY nice razors, and you'll certainly never see mine for sale - but on the same token - if a fella were to ask me "Which custom razor would you recommend" - it certainly wouldn't be a Maestro - for price/quality alone. I know some are madly in love with the look of damascus razors.... owning several of them - I don't really care one way or another - and find non-damascus razors to perform better, and have a much more classic/natural look to them - and if you are a "damascaholic" the Maestro may be the lust object for you.... but if you can get over your damascdreams - save some $ and get in my opinion, a superior product/razor - a Robert Williams.

TO DISCUSS THIS REVIEW - PLEASE USE THIS THREAD!

Thanks! :smile:
Price
1.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness