What's new

7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black)

Pros: very smooth sharp razor
Cons: price
first shave very smooth but only lasted about 4 shaves on average before starting to pull. I really like to get at least 6 to 7 shaves out of a blade. I would buy again but not a quantity buy. i like the yellows much better.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Sharp
Cons: rough, price
I found this blade to be very sharp... but not very smooth. I read other's reviews that say they take 2 - 3 shaves to smooth out. IMHO, I don't want two or 3 bad shaves from every blade.

Definitely good quality, but not a great performer for me.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
This blade isn't as good for me as for others. The blade seemed about even in sharpness to many others, but was not very smooth at all. It tore my face up.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
3.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
3.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Smooth and sharp
Cons: Price, availability
I received a couple of these as a PIF from fellow member Predict. Overall, these are very good blades. They are sharp and smooth, and a BBS can be had easily with three passes. I noticed no initial harshness, the first shave was as good as the last. Based on what others have said, they are fairly long-lasting, too. Don't know that myself, since I never push a blade past three shaves.

The average price I've seen for these is around $50.00/100, a little on the high side. I know there are some deals on these to be had, but you have to look hard. To me, the Russian Blue Super Platinums are a better blade for almost half the cost.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
5.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I have had five shaves with this blade so far and must say I'm very impressed. A part of me did not want to review this positively because I know what will happen- a mad rush to buy up all the stock in sight leaving me w/ no place to buy anymore.

However, that just would not be fair to the collective- on w/ the review.

The Blacks are very sharp, but not as sharp as Feathers-barely. But they are much smoother than the Feathers. Think a Red Personna on steroids-sharp + smooth.

My first shave left my face BBS after 2 passes! No trouble, no fuss.

Currently, I have had 5 shaves with this blade and the next nick that I get, will be the first one. It is still just as sharp and smooth as the 1st shave- no drop off noted yet.

It comes packaged in a cardboard box wrapped in plastic-like the Yellows. There are 2 main differences between these and the Yellows: 1) price and 2)platinum coating. Now the Yellows are the best of the stainless steel blades that I have used-sharp, smooth, and irritation free. The Blacks remind me of the Yellows, but are much smoother, which may be due to the platinum coating.( I have found that platinum coated blades work much better on my face than the stainless steel ones-YMMV :blushing:). I do believe the platinum coating makes a difference

The price is where these blades fall down-they are more expensive than Feather blades!!!!:blink::thumbdown This does not mean they are not good/great; it's the idea. On the other hand, I can understand that you get what you pay for and with the Blacks, you are paying for Feather like sharpness with silky smoothness.

I will definitely stock up on these before they go away. :thumbup::thumbup:

marty
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I've now tried about a seven or eight or nine blades and I find that for me these absolutely work the best for my skin/beard combo. I get a bbs with a 2 pass (WG + AG) an nary a weeper in sight. These seem to "glide" over my skin like no other blade I've tried does, yet it is very sharp. I have found for the most part that the "duller" blades (7'oclock permasharp, Nacet) may not irritate but I get a "cartridge" quality shave; "sharper" blades (Feathers, Iridium SP) irritate my skin, and cause weepers, for not much better quality of a shave. These hit the sweet spot. The only blade I'll compare them to is the Red Personnas, which are smooth, but not as sharp.

I'm still only 7 months or so into the DE shaving odyssey, and have plenty of blades to try, but these are my go-to. Are they expensive? I haven't noticed, anything under the $25 for 6 "Gillette Mach Quattro 5000" cartridges still seems cheap to me. I just ordered packs 7 from West Coast Shaving for $2.75 per, a little more than the $2.25 for the 6 pack of 7 o'clock super sharps. My horrible experience with the Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharps have told me that with this line you might get what you pay for. It's PLATINUM, man!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
2.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
These blades have been outstanding for me. I fell in love with Feathers working through my sampler as they gave me a close comfortable shave with ease. No nicks/cuts/irritations with Feathers for me and I didn't have to baby the razor like I was anticipating.

Then I tried the blacks. These things are almost as sharp as the feathers, but the things feel like shaving with a plastic blade they are so smooth. It is truly a wierd feeling they are so smooth. Get me 3 great shaves per blade (haven't pushed for 4 yet).

They are one of the more expensive blades, and slightly more expensive than feathers, but the experience is worth it in my mind.

Oh and the 7 o'clock yellows tore my face up. Not sure what is that different between the two but the blacks were a completely different experience for me.
These are probably one of my favourites. They aren't cheap at all. But for the smoothness and longevity they offer I think it's worth it. I'd like to note that there are 2 varieties currently sold. The Indian is black labelled, and the label on the Russian is bluish. They are both very very smooth, but the Russian is a bit sharper. My ratings are for the Indian blade.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
5.00 star(s)
I got one with my Gillette 7 o'Clock Sterling. Gave me a very good and comfortable shave, hardly any irritation.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
1.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I am a big fan of these blades, and tested close to a dozen different brands before settling on this one. This blade was the only one that was both sharp and smooth for me; no tugging, dragging or razor burn. The first shave was very smooth, and at the end of #4 it is still fairly comfortable but requires extra touch up, which signals to me that it is time to move on. It has worked well for me in a Merkur HD, Progress and 40's Super Speed. I give it dings for price, because at the single box purchase, a single blade runs $0.50, comparable to Feathers, and none of the major blade dealers carry it in bulk :mad3:. I was able to snag 10x6 packs from dridiot on the bay, all the way from Singapore for $16 shipped, so it's not so bad at $0.26 a pop. I'll take a week of shaves for $0.52 over $3 a cartridge anytime.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
These are the most expensive local blades to buy in India. I get 5 blades at a dollar. The feathers which are available at local cosmetic stores are cheaper.

The blades are the most premium DE blades in India and are sold as such. They are very sharp and last me almost 6-8 shaves. Initial shaves are kind of rough, but they break in after around 3 shaves after which the shave becomes buttery smooth.

If I dint have feathers, definitely the blade I would use in the premium category.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
3.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
Reactions: Mischka
I also received some of these blades from a PIF. They are a bit 'Jekyl & Hyde' to me. My first impressions are that there is a lot of drag with the blade and it doesn't seem sharp. But after the first couple of shaves, the drag goes away and this is a very serviceable blade and quite long-lasting. My suspicion is that there is a rough blade coating that needs to be worn away before you get the effect of the blade itself.

Since I dread the first shave with these blades, they won't make my rotation, unless I can find someone to take the first couple of passes first.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
5.00 star(s)
Packaging
5.00 star(s)
Sharpness
2.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Price at the Italian place: 2.5 usd per six

Quality: very good, I reckon

Sharpness: very good , I reckon

Longevity: So far I gotten seven shaves with one. I presume that I can get nine shaves with one. So far It costs me four cents a shave for the blade cost. For example, if it's a 25 cents blade, then I would expect six shaves from that blade.

Smoothness: The first shave was not so pleasant. And the second shave wasn't that pleasant. It was the first time that I had an unpleasant experience with a new blade. It felt as if the blade was causing red bumps to my face, but I looked in the three power mirror at least three times, but there was no irritation. I believe that I would rather use another blade than use a second one of these.

Packaging: They seemed attractive to me.
Price
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
2.00 star(s)
Another PIF review. I'll paste in and modify some comments I made in the original post about the PIF. . .

I tried the 7 o'clock in my trusty Merkur HD, which is the go-to razor that I use 95% of the time. I was a little surprised to see that it's double wrapped - in a traditional paper wrapper but also in a partial almost wax-paper type wrap that covers both blades and covers around the back of the blade.

My first impression with the first shave was that this sucker is sharp. As sharp as a Feather? Probably not, but not that far off. I sliced a tiny piece off the edge of my nose - a small bleeder. Definitely user error, but it made me pay attention to what I was doing, much like when I shave with a Feather. Otherwise I got a very smooth shave.

The blade seemed a little less aggressive than a Feather as well. I can get, for some reason, only one good shave out of a Feather. Occasionally I've tried a second, with mixed results. Usually it begins to feel like it's tugging and irritating. I shaved a second and third time with the 7 o'clock, paying attention as I learned from the first shave, and had a wonderful shave - very close and very smooth. The fourth time it was obvious it was not quite as smooth as the previous shaves, but still not bad.

Overall, to compare it to other blades I've tried, I would say it's a LITTLE less sharp than a Feather, but for me seems to be much more forgiving than a Feather. It cut through some traditionally tough areas on my chin line with fewer strokes than the Israeli Personnas or the Red Packs, which I would probably rate next in terms of ease of getting to my problem areas. It's definitely sharper than the Dorco 301s and Derbys, which are what I use most often, and gives me a generally closer shave in the problem spots than those.

Would I buy these blades? I have mixed feelings. I definitely like them better than Feathers, which just don't seem to work well for me beyond one shave. I can't say they're substantially different enough from the other blades I mentioned to go out of my way to buy them. I have lots of the others I've mentioned (except Feathers), so probably won't seek out these blades. But I can honestly say that I enjoyed using them in my HD.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
4.00 star(s)
I reveived these blades through PIF also, I enjoyed them, gave me a nice smooth shave. There was a little dragging of the blade. Didn't seem to glide like the Yellow 7PM, but left no irritation. I would buy them depending on the price. Overall not bad I would rate them a little better than the bic's .
Price
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
2.00 star(s)
Packaging
1.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave
3.00 star(s)
I recently received three of these blades to try via a PIF from ECOSSE. I've had six shaves so far with two blades and I feel I've got enough use to post an official review. This is my first review on the board, so here goes...

Let's start with the packaging since that is the first thing you notice when you use one of these blades. I received only three blades in an envelope so I can't comment on the box but if it is anything like the rest of the 7 O'clock line it is a small cardboard box that contains 5 blades with no area to dispose of used blades. The blades are double wrapped in paper and a thin wax paper. I rated it an 8 because I was pleased to see much less glue on the blades compared to the Russian version (Sharp Edge in the yellow packs). There was still some minimal glue which can gunk up your razor but nowhere near the large globs to be found on the yellows.

Blade quality seems high and the blade is very sharp. I get BBS smooth results with this blade but any mishaps in technique and you may end up with a weeper or two. Longevity is good but drops off a little sooner than the Sharp Edge and Polsilver blades I usually use. I got 4 smooth shaves with the first blade but was disappointed with the closeness on the 5th shave. The 5th shave was smooth and comfortable but it was simply not as close as the previous days.

Now a little discussion of smoothness. I struggled with this rating because the blade is very smooth and sharp *after* it breaks in. The problem is that the break-in period takes at least one to two *passes* on the first shave. During that time the blade pulls ever so slightly and you think you are wrecking your face. The first pass with this blade is scary and uncomfortable. It is not my technique or my lather. Both of the blades I tried behaved the same way. The first shave with this blade is rather uncomfortable and the next three are great. Is it worth it to put up with one bad shave? Some people believe the first and last shave with a blade are bad. But I disagree mainly because I have found blades that break-in during the first two strokes of the first pass and last for 5+ shaves. I've popped other blades into my razor that were super smooth and sharp from the first stroke. So I don't think it is worth having one harrowing, mildly painful shave just to say you use these blades.

Finally the question of price. I received these as a PIF but based on prices I've seen for these blades I do not think they are worth it. My rating is based on the price-to-value ratio. The Russian Sharp Edge (yellows) are better, easier to find, and can be had for a better price. So why dish out more for a blade that isn't as good IMO?

As with all things reviewed on this website, YMMV.

Discussion thread here.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Longevity
4.00 star(s)
Packaging
4.00 star(s)
Sharpness
4.00 star(s)
Smoothness of Shave