What's new

7/8 Egyptian Palmwood...

Looks great, shaves great. Pity about the gold wash that looks like to was painted onto the blade with a q-tip by a high-school shop class student.

Despite its size it shaves more like a 5/8 than a 7/8 (the deep spine is just hanging out in space doing nothing but looking good), so in an odd way the original size on classic's site seems more fitting than the updated "correct" size.

I actually like the palmwood scales. They are pretty strange looking, almost 3-dimensional and psychedelic, but pretty cool nonetheless. Unfortunately their light weight means the razor feels somewhat unbalanced in use. This could probably be fixed by swapping out the wedge with a lead wedge like the old 19th century razors used.

Mine honed up with about 20 laps on the Shapton and another 20 on the Chrome oxide paddle. I haven't had to refresh it yet, but that's because the edge is really hanging on. Based on how it honed it'll refresh in another 20 laps on the paddle.

Great razor.
Price
3.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
displayimage.php

Sigh... isn't she lovely?

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Phew.... these TI's are a chore to photograph they are so bloody shiny.

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Again, typical TI... gold work isn't the best, but hey.... usually when you buy a TI, you know you aren't going to be getting the best markings/gold inlays - still though, for a razor well over $200 - it's pretty agitating. Somehow the dummies managed to get a little gold at the tip of the razor - but again.... with TI - you kinda expect medeocre (at best) detailing.

This razor was originally labeled, and sold as a 5/8, BUT when you measure it - it is a full 7/8'ths - and now is being advertised/sold as a 7/8 at Classic Shaving... albeit for an additional $30 now :wink: This beaut has a reputation for being a wicked, wicked shaver, and many pros (Lynn Abrahms for example) feel this is one of the "gems" of the TI line. While I am not wild on the scales... and the razor feels really light (almost too light for my tastes) it really walks the walk. Tune this thing up - and you have your self a duck/puma/whatever creature eater. These razors really take & hold an incredible edge, and if you don't mind the light/weird looking scales (to each their own I suppose) this razor is both a thing of beauty, in form and function.

If you are looking for something with show and go... this dog will hunt.

TO DISCUSS THIS REVIEW - DO NOT USE THIS REVIEW ENGINE, ALL NON-REVIEW POSTS WILL BE PROMPTLY DELETED - PLEASE GO TO THIS THREAD!

Thanks!
Price
3.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness