What's new

6/8 Geneva Cutlery Corp

I used to have a Genco Di Roma (5/8) and currently have a 6/8 Genco Fluid Steel. These are great shavers, as good as the famed Wonderedge for a few tenners.

They're plain-jane like nearly all american razors, but they're all go and no show.

Great steel, very hard but not brittle. Nearly as soft on the face as a Wonderedge.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
I have two of these- a 5/8" and a 6/8". Both are simple, easy to handle and maintain, and shave very nicely. I believe they went under the Geneva name until 1928, afterwhich they were branded as Genco. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will chime in.

I paid $16 and $40 for them, respectively, and consider them both to be terrific bargains. I can get them as sharp as any razor I've had, and find little fault with them.

I'd certainly recommend one as a first straight. :thumbup1:
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
displayimage.php

Dubl Duck.... Henckels..... Puma.... Theirs Issard.... Dovo.... Dorko.... What do all of these brands have in common? Well... they are all foreign.... they all shave very, very well.... they are all pretty.... and they are all expensive. Well... what do you do if you just want quality? Well... if you don't know much about razors - you pay big money for one of the aformentioned brands that get all the good press on forums for being flashy. Well - what about the good ole American Brands? They are us straight-o-holics best kept secrets.... period. I've never had a Genco, Geneva, Case, Etc razor that didn't sharpen easily, hold a superlative edge, and shave like the dickens - that wasn't EVERY bit as smooth of a shaver as the aformentioned foreign brands, in fact... some of 'em are even BETTER - case in point - Geneva Cutlery.

displayimage.php

Is this the prettiest razor? Does it make your heart flutter? Well... err... no... but it ran me under $20, and it will outshave nearly all of my TI's, puma's, henckels, etc - and will hold its own against my absurdly expensive Maestro Damascus razor. For those of you looking for ALL go, little/no show... check out Geneva Cutlery..... you may just find those expensive pretty little foreign sissy razors of yours spending a lot more time in the display case, and a few Geneva's gettin' all the face time.

Superb razor, wonderful value, made in the good ole US of A, a classic, exceptional build quality (back when the U.S. could build things of quality ::ducks and covers :biggrin: :: ) and just about the best shaver you can buy... at any price.

TO DISCUSS THIS REVIEW - DO NOT USE THIS REVIEW ENGINE, ALL NON-REVIEW POSTS WILL BE PROMPTLY DELETED - PLEASE GO TO THIS THREAD!

Thanks!
Price
5.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
4.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness