What's new

5/8 Thiers Issard Damascus.....

Well.... the most expensive is usually the best right? Well.... err.... well?

The infamous Thiers Issard Damascus razors.... this is my third.... yes third one, and finally I got one that is not severly faulty. I am beginning to think this whole razor business is getting outta control, and the demand has totally ruined the quality/craftsmanship of these current production razors, but alas I digress.

So let's not pull any punches.... this razor, and TI Damascus razors as a whole are just "ok." Once you get them sharp (which is really a miserable several month long task, as they ACT scary sharp, but don't work well) they are nice razors.... but just that... nice. Sure, they'll keep an edge for eon's - but who cares? A touch up here and there is nothing too tricky, but getting one of these suckers perfectly dialed in is.

The Shave - Well, this is just about the stiffest shaving razor known to man... which on one hand is good, as it seems to be pretty hard to irritate your skin, and does great for a steel wool tough beard, yet at the same time, it is SOO stiff it does not flex... AT ALL, which means the end result isn't as good as a full hollow/singing razor, in my opinion. While overall, it is a "decent" shaving razor, I would put it at the "bottom" of the pile as far as TI's go... and I've got a lot of TI's to compare it to.

Overall? Well, again it's a nice razor, but the price is outta this world absurd. $750 for this thing? Eh - find another razor to pine over gents, as this one isn't even worth 1/2 the going price. If this razor were around $200, I think it would be a decent value, but seriously, anything more and I think you're overpaying. All of my Pierre Thiers Hammer Forged razors simply EMBARASS this razor in terms of fit, finish, ergonomics, quality of shave, and so on and so forth.

Do I like this razor? Yeah, sure - I really do, and it IS fun to look at, and is a nice treat to shave with, but I would sternly dissuade anyone from purchasing one (at over $200) as a run of the mill TI Singing Razor for $150 or less will simply out perform the damascus razor, which really makes it more of a collectable than a shaving tool/treat.

Pics, pics, and more pics....

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

displayimage.php

Hope you fellas enjoyed!
As Always....
TO DISCUSS THIS REVIEW, PLEASE SEE THIS THREAD!

Thanks!
Price
0.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
3.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
0.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
2.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness