What's new

5/8 Dovo Genuine Mother of Pearl (Stainless Steel Blade)

Without a doubt this is a beautiful specimen, and a true joy to behold. However, I bought one and had to return it because the scales had chips out of them. A replacement was shipped immediately, much to the seller’s credit, but to my disappointment the scales were marred by cracks radiating out from the pins. Again it had to be returned. IMO I either got 2 lemons, or Mother of Pearl isn't the best material to craft a made-for-use tool out of. Unless you just want it for a display case and don’t mind possible imperfections.

To its credit the blade was above reproach. I have since bought a Dovo 5/8 with stainless steel scales and could not be happier.
krisbarger;1174286 said:
Ok. Why can't someone make one?
My guess is it would be to expensive and difficult to make to turn a profit. Plus the materials would be difficult to find just as Jester said. :tongue:
I'd love to see a straight razor in M-2 said:
Ok. Why can't someone make one?
Stainless steels are not harder than carbon steels. Its a general rule that MOST common carbon steels harden to significantly higher viable HRC than do common stainless steels. I say common because that is what would be found in straight razor blades. So, it would make sense that a Stainless razor would be easier to sharpen than a Carbon razor. When it comes to metallurgy and knives, most quality knifemakers do prefer Carbon steels ( O-1, A-2, M-2, 5160, 0170-6, CPM-M4, CPM-3V, CPM-10V, INFI ) if they can get away with it because most carbon steels provide for higher HRC ( strength/hardness ) and much more toughness and wear resistance ( durable edges ). Stainless steels ( 420, 440, AUS-6, ATS-34 ) are usually lower HRC, some not by too much, but they do have significantly less durable edges. However, people are usually willing to make the trade-off for a blade that won't rust at the slightest hint of moisture. The one reason that many people often think that stainless blades have better edges is because they are softer, and thus, much easier to sharpen to a fine edge, albeit one that is not very durable or wear resistant. Lately, though, metallurgy companies are coming out with some powder and other high-carbon/other additive, fine-grained stainless steels that are much more able to compete with carbon steels ( CPM-440V, CPM-S90V, S30V, ZDP-189 ), due to extraordinarily high levels of chromium ( only free Chromium makes a knife stainless ), vanadium, manganese, molybdenum, and tungsten but they are often very expensive to produce and work with and you will rarely, if ever, see most of them used in a razor. I'd love to see a straight razor in M-2, CPM-M4, or ZDP-189 heat treated up to about 63-64 HRC. You could put a scary sharp edge on the blade and it would probably last you for a year without honing, probably stropping only once a week.
Mmm. I have a modern DOVO razor and it's good, the steel quality is high. It lacks the MOP scales, of course - frankly I am amazed that they could be made in one piece - but steel is (Swedish) steel and I agree that modern stainless is harder to hone and strop bit keeps its edge longer. Personally I prefer older razors - my own workaday ones are 80 year old silver steel, a matched pair, and I frequently use a Kropp which is superb. I agree with the comment about deep blades. I have an 8/8 Kropp that scares the devil out of me! These razors were only ever really intended for pro barbers and take expert handling (they're cool though, aren't they?) and I find a 5/8 french point just about perfect. I never understood the american liking for square points -they dig in at the first opportunity! Anyway, a very decorative piece in lovely condition - wish it were mine!:thumbup1:
I have a couple of stainless Dovos. Mine don't have MOP scales, one has desert ironwood, and one has white linen micarta. Nonetheless I am in agreement that these modern stainless Dovo blades are of high quality and are easy to maintain.

Stainless is an advantage if you are in a climate where your razors might tend to rust, or if you don't give them the attention needed to keep the rust off.

One of these is a good choice if you're just going to have one straight razor. One of these was my first straight razor, although not my last.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Lasting Edge
4.00 star(s)
Craftsmanship
5.00 star(s)
Easy to Sharpen
4.00 star(s)
Easy to Maintain
5.00 star(s)
Shaving Smoothness
4.00 star(s)
displayimage.php

Without question - hands down - my favorite straight razor. Yeah - you'll hear fellas preaching "choppers" - big honkin 1 inch SOB's you can barely move around your face, Thiers Issards - pain to sharpen and stain immediatly - etc etc.... but seldom do you hear just how great a stainless steel razor is.

Stainless steel is much harder than carbon steel - thus it is more difficult to sharpen - HOWEVER, once properly honed it will stay sharper much longer. It is my experience however, that a stainless steel Dovo is easier to sharpen than a Carbon Steel TI. Not only do Dovo Stainless Steel razors stay sharper longer - they also cut smoother in my opinion, as their added rigidity enables them cut with less smarting and resistance.

Overall - this is an OUTSTANDING razor that comes in a gorgeous display case, and is built to last. With no annoying gold spine (gold spines wear off when the razor is honed/stropped over time) and a stainless blade - with a touch of care - this razor could be shaving your great grandkids.

Although Dovo has since had quite a big price hike (they are now $190 and I paid $110 for mine new) since I bought mine, I still feel this razor offers great value.... as NO picture can/will do this razor justice. The hand polished mother of pearl scales are unparalleled in beauty, and the razor shaves like a dream. $190 is big bucks.... but this very well could be your first and LAST straight razor.
Top Bottom