What's new

444 Aftershave Balm (para depois de barbear)

I only bought this to try out a cheap menthol AS . As such, it serves it purpose of providing a cool, calming sensation and reduces soreness of the skin surface. The consistency is gel-like and just a little thicker than what I need to easily spread around. Like everyone else recommended, I usually mix it with a drop of water or another lighter AS balm.

Scent: The smell of this right off the tube is exactly like cherry cough syrup. For me this is a negative but fortunately it goes off a few minutes after you put it on the face and only the cooling menthol sensation remains after.

Ingredients: menthol, glycerin, distilled water,carboxivinil resin, and disoproprilamin
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
3.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Soothing and moisturizing, convenient, economical, cool retro look.
Cons: None that I can think of...
Forever curious, but not willing to order from overseas due to the war stories others have written along the lines of: "...and it finally showed up." A reliable Canadian vendor now carries it, so I ordered and received a cool, retro-boxed tube of 444 along with a replenishment of Alt Innsbruck, so I could try them out mixed together as our European brethren are wont to do. Nice....very smooth and moisturizing. I plan to keep this pattern for the remainder of the week--it's a definite keeper (especially mixed along with the Alt Innsbruck). Wetshaving's fun!--aren't we lucky?
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
4.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
4.00 star(s)
Pros: scent, awesome menthol kick, really, really cooling, moisturising
Cons: bad sensation on the face - greasy
Allright. I really wanted to try this product. I loved everything it offers, except it leaves my face very greasy. Now, if I use it, I mix a lentil-sized drop with a splash. But then it loses much of its moisturising properties.
Really good stuff, but not for me.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
2.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
3.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
3.00 star(s)
I didn't rate this at all. Just as well it's only a few bucks, which in this case is reflective of its worth IMO.

Menthol hit is barely there, and a tad too much leaves a glycerine residue or film on the face that, while moisturises to some degree, doesn't feel natural. Very much like Brut AS, which delivers its moisturising properties from glycerine. Use too little and it's hardly worth using.

Also find it dilutes the alcohol in my AS, and reduces the soothing effects that I usually get from it.

I'll stick to a good moisturiser if my face is dry.
This was and is my first and only Balm, I have sensitive and dry skin on my face and neck. Since using 444 ASB, no flaking, dryness or burning sensation, from wind, cold or razor.

I have exhausted my supply, which was 4 days ago and have not received the re order I placed last month, I know the Christmas Rush has slowed the mail, NO COMPLAINTS. The point is, being without my 444, I realize how magnificently the little tube of mentholated HEAVEN is CRUCIAL to my FACIAL HAPPINESS.

Just a small amount goes far, too much and your face will become sticky. I usually leave my face damp, and apply the 444, mixed with any scent I crave that day. GREAT STUFF, CAN'T SAY ENOUGH.

Explanation of two ratings: Cooling Sensation; although it isn't a overly powerful Menthol, I find the level of cooling it provides soothing and pleasant. Scent; Pretty much the same reason, it is lightly scented which is pleasant, relaxing and doesn't interfere with any scent you choose to wear. BTW love the simple LOGO and single colored METAL tube.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
444, para depois de barbear. This is a truly unique aftershave balm produced by an old and prestigious Portuguese brand. It contains a good concentration of menthol and glycerin and, therefore, it’s extremely refreshing and moisturizing. It represents the perfect answer for those who have sensitive skin and like aftershave splashes, but cannot stand the burning feeling on the face that almost all alcoholic splashes produce. And, also, 444 is a super moisturizer. The high proportion of glycerin it has fights incredibly well skin dryness, which certainly is another huge issue with many AS splashes. Furthermore 444 does not leave any kind of residue or oily sensation. It just gives a strong “icy kick” that lasts, with a pleasant mentholated scent that is not overpowering at all. This fabulous, traditional, Old School balm is sold at Vintage Scent at the reasonable price of € 3.95 for 37 grams of product. And since you only need a pea-size amount each time, a tube is going to last several months. Leon at Vintage Scent gives an illuminating guideline on how to properly use 444: “After you shave, put some A/S splash and let it sting for a few seconds, then I suggest you to mix a small portion of "444" balm with a few drops of Aftershave splash or cologne and put it on your face. That will give you a cooling sensation that lasts a long time”. 444 is a great, classic barbershop product. 444 is a tremendously effective balm. 444 is a magic number.

P.S. Here is the ingredients list: glycerin, menthol, distilled water, carboxivinil resin and disoproprilamin.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
5.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Not much I can add to the above posts. What I will say is that this is one of the best shaving products I've come across in my time traditional wet shaving. There are many items in my plethora of soaps, creams and aftershaves that I wont be replacing once they've run out. 444 is not one of those. I'm currently on my second tube and have a third set back. I'll always have this in my shaving rotation.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
4.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
4.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
Amazing! I can not stand any balms because no matter which one I've used they always leave a lingering scent and the sense of oily skin.

444 by itself is better than balms I've used and using it with Leon's guidelines of mixing it with you favorite splash kills any major sting from any splash. Living in the desert in the winter really takes a toll on your skin because it is so dry. And if your splash doesn't have any moisturizing properties, it makes it even worse. I love Pinaud but we know how it can sting and dry your skin if you already have dry skin. Mixing it with Pinaud knocked down a lot of the sting and moisturizes my face in the winter.

I gave it an 8 in the scent category because Im not a huge fan of eucalyptus scent but one thing is it does smell more natural rather than synthetic like a Proraso.

Major recommendation is to use a tiny bit, pea size. I use it everyday in the winter and should last me well over a few months. And it won't break the bank at $5 and a low shipping from www.vintagescent.com.
Price
5.00 star(s)
Scent
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn
1.00 star(s)
Cooling Sensation
5.00 star(s)
Fights Razor Burn
5.00 star(s)
I bought this Portuguese aftershave balm, as I was searching for relatively natural balm which could replace the overly chemical Poraso Pre/Post I was previously using.

Before I begin I bought this product through Leon at VintageScent.com at http://vintagescent.com/aftershave-balms-c-4/444-aftershave-balm-p-1 Allow me to heartily recommend Leon's store as a great place to buy a variety of hard to find shaving products.

The 444 is probably one of the best balms I have used. It is also particularly interesting in how you can use it. You can use the balm on its own in the regular way and it will provide a great menthol blast, eliminate the most horrible razor burn and also moisturize the skin. You only need to use a small pea-sized amount an no more. However the unique way you can use 444 is to mix a small amount in your hand with you favourite aftershave splash and then apply this mixture to your face.

So far I have used this method with Aqua Velva, Spanish Floid, Indian Version of Old Spice and Skin Bracer. In all cases the smell of the aftershave takes over the very neutral smell of 444, but your aftershave has now become moisturizing and has taken on the menthol blast properties of the 444. This is particularly great for me as alcohol based splashes tended to dry my skin out, but no more!

Overall great product you should try.
Price
4.00 star(s)
Scent
1.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Moisturizing
5.00 star(s)
No Alcohol Burn