What's new

3M aluminum oxide lapping films

Pros: Easy to get a teriffic edge. Low setup cost. Light weight, packs easy. No lapping or soaking of stones. You can have a nice, large honing surface.
Cons: It wears out.
As Snoop Doggy Dog would say, "Dis stuff is da SHIZZLE!" A complete honing kit in my briefcase. Films in a manila folder. 4" x 12" marble floor tile in a pocket. No multiple stones. No stone lapping. No worn stones. No slurrying, no soaking. ONE lapping plate, costing $4 or so at home depot, easily replaced if it breaks. Great edges, well up into the "scary sharp" range, with extraordinarily consistent results. Only hassle is after a while a piece of film wears out. I get about 15 razors from it. That's mostly because that is the most I like to hone at one session, and it is convenient to just toss it, but I am sure I could get more. The abrasive seems to be deeply matrixed into the plastic substrate. But 15 is a reasonable limit. I like to use damp paper under my final finishing film. Then follow with CrOx on a paddle. A Gold Dollar honed with this method is an utter delight to shave with. I think a group buy would be a good thing.
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Use
5.00 star(s)
Overall Value
4.00 star(s)
Resistance to Wear
2.00 star(s)
I picked up some .3 Pinnacle film and a base from my local Woodcraft a bit back and it really helps to smooth out the edge my 8k DMT leaves. Looking to try more in the future.
3M aluminum oxide lapping films.

attachment.php

I've long been a fan of lapping film, as it was the first "hone" I ever used. They can be mounted on a thick piece of glass or a precision granite plate. the flatter and smoother the substrate, the better the results you will get.

The films are available in a variety of grits. from heavy-duty 12um, 5um (black), 3um (grayish), 1um (green, my favorite finisher), to super-fine finishing 0.3um (white).

It comes in 9x13" sheets, which I can then cut down to four 3 1/4" x 9" honing sheets as pictured above.

They cut through pretty much any steel with ease. Carbon, stainless, you name it, it will hone it.

It also has a very nice feel to it, very velvety.

The downside? The downside is that the stuff wears out pretty quick. You can get maybe a solid 6 razors out of a film, with it loosing it's bite over that period. It will still be working, but not nearly as aggresively as it did to begin with. This can result in a smoother finish for a given grit, but will also require many more passes.

I have never actually tested to see how long I could go with a sheet before it was completely "shot", as I choose to get a fresh one to know what I'm dealing with, so 6 razors a film is an estimate of reliable use, I'm sure it could be pushed further than that.

Available at Japanese Woodworker, or Thorlabs.com, amongst other places.

Anyhow, I like the stuff!
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
Ease of Use
4.00 star(s)
Overall Value
3.00 star(s)
Resistance to Wear
1.00 star(s)
Top Bottom