What's new

3" black cowhide leather strop

I purchased the short version of this strop. I am new to straights and stropping and I only have the Larry Andro Strop to base my review on. But I have seen and held many strops, and this Strop is right up there with the good ones. I noticed that it is much easier to hold with the d rings than a leather handle. The 3 inch wide leather makes it very easy to use. The webbed strop is also very nice. For the price you pay you are getting an incredible value. The strop is very well made and it looks awesome! I reccommend this strop to everyone, it will not let you down!:thumbup1:
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
xa_sc_review_field_title.fit_&_finish
5.00 star(s)
Overall Value
5.00 star(s)
Amount of Draw
5.00 star(s)
Thickness of Leather
5.00 star(s)
Have been using one of Trey's full-sized strops for about a week straight.
My only other strop is a Filly, so Trey's strop is my first "big" strop. My opinion:

Fit/Finish: Mine is a 3" black piece of vegetable tanned leather combined with a 3" piece of what appears to be nylon webbing. The strop is put together sturdily with Chicago screws, D rings, and a good strong latch. No imperfections in either the leather or the webbing that I can see. I give it a 10.

Amount of draw: Not as much draw as the Ken Rup Filly, but I can definitely tell I'm moving my blades across leather when I use it. I'll give it an 8 on the draw.

Thickness of leather: Trey's leather is certainly no thick hunk of cowhide like the Filly. But there is a lot of strop here for $55, so it is hard to complain. The leather seems thick enough that it would stand up to minor nicks, but I don't want to cut this thing too deeply, or I might end up with two smaller strops. I'll give it a seven on thickness.

Efficacy: Being a total noob on straights this is hard for me to judge as I do not have a whole lot to benchmark against, but stropping on this big black monster is easy, and I think as a noob it makes my stropping better. Plus I like the webbing as well, it really seems to help keep a sharp edge. I'll give Trey a 9 because his strop is very user-friendly.

Overall Value: Are you kidding? A long, well-constructed 3" leather and webbing strop for $55 delivered CONUS? 10 all the way here. I can't imagine a better deal being out there.
Efficacy
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Overall Value
5.00 star(s)
Amount of Draw
4.00 star(s)
Thickness of Leather
3.00 star(s)
Yes indeed, a great value for newbies or the old timer who has been through all of the various 'ADs' alike, I would recommend the 'D' ring handles also, it allows me to get a much better grip than the leather handle which is more common on strops and pull the strop nice and taut to have a very nice surface for stropping my straight razors.
Looking forward to Trey getting his new site up and going.

Thanks again Trey, and great craftsmanship,
almost as good as I could do if I really wanted to do such a thing.
(just kidding)(mine would be far superior) :wink2:

Rod :thumbup1: :thumbup:
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Overall Value
5.00 star(s)
Amount of Draw
5.00 star(s)
Thickness of Leather
5.00 star(s)
this strop is very well constructed from thick cowhide. the strop area is 22" giving plenty of room for longer strokes on the blade. overall length is 32" with the "D" rings(also available with leather handles)
the draw on this strop is in my opinion better than my red latigo. this strop really improves the shave of my straights that i have used on it.
priced at about $50 it is a absolute great deal and will give years of use and satisfaction.
this product made by a true craftsman and member here. i would highly recommend everyone to try one of these well built and great looking strops.
Efficacy
5.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Overall Value
5.00 star(s)
Amount of Draw
5.00 star(s)
Thickness of Leather
5.00 star(s)
Top Bottom