What's new

2006 B&B Finest Ebony

Pros: Easy to build lather and soft on face
Just got this brush in Horn & was amazed the first time I used - lather is sooo easy to build with this brush!
Price
4.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
4.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
I was fortunate enough to score this great brush in a trade with another fantastic member here on B&B. The ratings accurately reflect a fantastic brush. I also agree with the original review by the first reviewer. I do think it could stand to be a touch more dense/stiff, but it is fantastic. In full bloom it is a beast. A great brush, if you have the chance to add one to your collection I highly recommend it. This thing covers a lot of acreage when lathering up the face. I really enjoy this brush. It offers the feel of luxury to be sure.
Price
1.00 star(s)
Density
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability
5.00 star(s)
Softness of Tips
5.00 star(s)
Stiffness of Tips
3.00 star(s)
First of all, I would like to congratulate and thank all involved in making this brush a reality.

On to my personal impressions:

Presentation: Brush comes in a very attractive tube. Top class packaging. Smell was not bad at all, a bit worse after soaking but still less than other brushes I have dealt with.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Badger: From my first touch, I felt extremely soft tips. Absolutely luxurious to the point of decadence. I think softest I have ever tried.

On the other hand, and this is a prime example of personal / subjective perception, the brush seemed less dense than I expected from reviews. Bristles do not feel as firm as I expected either. I do not have a Rooney Finest or Simpson Super but the B&B brush seems close in flop to Omega Silvertips and Rooney Super Med Style 3. Once again - this is based on my experience and perceptions. My HMW 12 is much denser and firmer than the B&B brush.

Color of the head: compared to most of my other brushes - it is darker. Since it is guaranteed unbleached, and I've read that anything else is bleached, with evidence in tips under magnification, I used a 30x loupe to compare tips for B&B and Plisson HMW but other than the color did not see pronounced differences in the tip structure (maybe I need more magnification?). These photos might not show the difference very well - I'd like to invite others with better brush collections, photo skills and equipment to share their results.

proxy.php

Plisson HMW in bloom- B&B b/e bloom - Unknown vintage - Little Cutie (custom silvertip)

proxy.php

HMW 12 in bloom - B&B b/e bloom

proxy.php

Bloom comparison: HMW 12 and B&B - WOW the difference!

proxy.php

Blooms: HMW 12 and B&B

Handle: The brush has very nice heft, I like it in my hand - despite the fact that I generally am not a big fan of plastics. Handle also looks great, very aesthetically pleasing!

Water retention & Lather: I have only lathered it 4 or so times. Currently, the B&B brush soaks less water than my HMW 12. Nevertheless, it does make ABSOLUTELY GREAT LATHER in the bowl with glycerine and hard soaps and Musgo Real cream. I prefer to lather on face but I have not done it yet as my face felt a bit dry these days (colder temps, playing tennis outside, etc.) Will lather on face tomorrow when I shave.

Quality: This brush has not lost a single hair so far. I honestly have not had another brush like this (well, don't know it the Unknown vintage shed in its early days) - all other have shed some hairs when new. Some more, some less. But the B&B beat them all. I hope it stays this way.

Overall: Great brush, after great efforts by all involved! Quality, function, luxury, looks - it has it all. A caveat: it may not be what one is looking for - if more firmness, density, and less bloom is desitred.

Cheers
Ivo

Discussion thread
Price
5.00 star(s)
Density
3.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Ergonomic
5.00 star(s)
Latherability