What's new

1965 Gillette Super Speed

IMHO..this is the best razor ever made!! I own many, from the early TECHS to virtually every year of the SS, including Black Tips, Blue Tips, and Red Tips.

But the Silver Flair Tip is the most dependable razor one can own. Out performing and OUT LASTING any Merkur. An SS is the only razor one needs for a lifetime of great shaves.

htownmmm;628382 said:
After using(and obtaining!) 8 other razors, I finaally got around to buying one of these.

There was actually no legitimate reason for Gillette to stop making these other than greed.

A flare-tip can be found @ a very reasonable price; the quality is great, and it's simple to use-pop in a blade and shave, no adjustments no fiddling.

It is lighter than other razors, but very well balanced.

Being a TTO, blade replacement is simple. This is not an aggressive razor, but I refused to give it a zero.

Paired with a Feather blade, you will get one of the best shaves of your life-especially if you already have your technique down. If you are a new wetshaver, this razor will serve you well in the beginning,the middle, and in the future if your shaving career.

marty
After using(and obtaining!) 8 other razors, I finaally got around to buying one of these.

There was actually no legitimate reason for Gillette to stop making these other than greed.

A flare-tip can be found @ a very reasonable price; the quality is great, and it's simple to use-pop in a blade and shave, no adjustments no fiddling.

It is lighter than other razors, but very well balanced.

Being a TTO, blade replacement is simple. This is not an aggressive razor, but I refused to give it a zero.

Paired with a Feather blade, you will get one of the best shaves of your life-especially if you already have your technique down. If you are a new wetshaver, this razor will serve you well in the beginning,the middle, and in the future if your shaving career.

marty
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
I'll tell you why people stopped usimg them. A bunch of marketing arseholes decided that they needed to set up a market driven by continual supposed development of what already worked perfectly. Double, triple, multiple blades, motors , plastic, steel band blades. None offered ANY improvement in shaving. All backed up by pseudo scientific bull**** written by a bunch of marketing men. The great advantage for the manufacturer was that they could charge far more for the blade, produce differing models within the same company to set up competition when none was needed. They could make sure that the new fangled blade systems did not last as long as the traditional double edged blade. They tried to reduce what should be an art, utilising skill and aesthetic sensibility to something a chimpanzee could accomplish with no effort. It's all bull****. Thank God for old Gillette safety razors. Thank God for Merkur and thank God for all the companies who still produce decent double edged blades.
Cheers,
Martin
I imagine this model does not differ much from a 1964 SS, which another member reviewed. This one is fantastic. I just picked this beauty up from ebay (about $20) and tried it out with a Derby Extra blade. Not much effort needed for an excellent shave. Very smooth and glided with no problems. It's shaving experiences like this that got me into wet shaving in the first place. I can't believe men stopped shaving with these! I look forward to trying a Tech, too. But it's hard to believe I'll find much better than this.

Some clarification: My overall score will appear lower than other rave reviews b/c the razor is not adjustable (thus a 0) and is not aggressive. I'd like to give a 10 for "aggressive" because its aggressiveness was perfect for me, but did not want to mislead others that this is what would be called an "aggressive" razor. Hence the lower score.

Bottom line: I love this thing. Get one, or another SS. You'll be glad you did.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)