What's new

1954 Super Speed Flare Tip

Pros: Easy to replace blade, good balance.
Cons: Short handle
Simply a classic razor.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Great Razor Consistent shaves.
Cons: Prices are going up
This is a really good example of the Super Speed Flare Tip. Most of the ones I have encountered are well made and very consistent shaving razors. They are in my opinion underappreciated an overlooked. Many gravitate to the Slim, Fat Boy Adjustable, of the Super Adjustable when the Super Speed is an excellent shaving razor with many things to recommend it to anyone.

First one needs to recognize that the Flare Tip was designed to be the average man shaver. It was designed to work well on a majority of beards. The Red Tip was designed to work well for those with heavy beards and the Blue Tip was designed with two goals in mind, one was to be a good milder version for light beards and two, to be a razor that would serve well for those who leg shaved.

The Flare Tip from this time period is a very well made razor. The razor being a non-adjustable has a much smoother on face feel than does an adjustable razor in my opinion. The blade is better supported and thus is more stable.

I rate the aggressiveness based on how well the razor performs. This razor works perfectly and thus it gets a 10.
I rated adjustability 10 as well because it is not an adjustable razor and thus fulfills its role perfectly.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
5.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Classic, inexpensive, easy to maintain.
This razor was my first foray into the world of Gillette Super Speed. I got it for a really good price on eBay, and other than some brassing on the handle it's in really good shape. The mechanism and head work as though they were brand new and have held up very well. It's a very mild shave but quite effective, and I have no problems up to about five days worth of growth. The only downside to this razor is that the angle can be a little difficult to get right sometimes. If you haven't gotten one of these yet I would totally recommend that you do!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
5.00 star(s)