What's new

Pros: Beautiful design, smooth shaver, mild.
Cons: Very mild
This is a great razor. I didn't give it a "10," because I compare this razor to a Feather AS-D2 as far as performance goes. I disagree with those that claim it's difficult to hold and being "too slippery" in one's hand. With thick lather all over my hand and handle, it's not a problem at all to use this razor. The octagonal handle is awesome! It's no longer nickel plated from the factory, but now chrome plated, which is fine by me. I do wish it was a bit more aggressive when shaving my beard off however. I knew it would be a mild shave based on numerous reviews, I just wasn't expecting it to be that mild. It's so mild in fact, that a beginner could use this and probably will never cut him or herself with it. Don't use this if you're expecting an aggressive shave. In that case, use the Merkur 37c (slant) or a Muhle R41 (the "King" of aggressive razors). I also disagree that the handle is "too light weight." Hogwash, it's nice and weighted perfectly and a well balanced tool. The handle is also the exact same length as the 34C and 37C. Again, I don't see where the complaints are coming r guarding the handle being "too short." It's DEFINATELY worthy to add to one's shave den collection. I use mine as a travel razor. This thing will never give you razor burn, unless you really press it against your skin with some force. It will always provide a DFS but, if you want BBS, you'll have to buffer the blade against your skin or use more than three passes plus some pressure. Again though, it's a great razor to have. I love it.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
2.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
Ease of Blade Replacement
4.00 star(s)
Pros: Nice looking, open comb razor, inexpensive.
Cons: Too mild, simply not a well designed razor.
Overrated, sorry I bought it. Looks great don't shave well.
Grip
1.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
Pros: Overall light, aesthetically pleasing, price is good for a starter.
Cons: Shave is not aggressive, blade is tricky to replace, top heavy.
Initial impression: This razor looks damn good. Pleasantly styled and shiny.

First use: This was my first DE razor so the initial impression is null and void to a returning user. For a first timer, it's good. The shave is safe and glides well. Soap/cream and hairs can get trapped between the razor and the blade. Even after rinsing. Unbalanced so it takes time getting the angle right.

After many uses: This razor was a great first razor but it's time to leave the nest.
Grip
5.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
0.00 star(s)
1.00 star(s)
Pros: Price.Ease of Use. Nice weight. Quality seems great.
Cons: The handle has to be a hair more pronounced than I'd like.
This just came in the mail yesterday. Its my first DE razor after using straights. I always thought that the DE took away from the experience of the old school shave. Was I wrong. The technique is interesting. This razor performed remarkably with the Derby Extra blades. While it is a much milder shave that a straight (obviously) I still got a baby smooth shave in three passes with no irritation. Yes It could maybe be a hair more aggressive, only for the fact that I would like the blade to be a little more exposed, it does make the handle have to be a hair more pronounced that I'd like going against the grain. A lot of people complain about the handle. I did not find it slick, I also loved the short length of it as I have short fingers. All around amazing bbs shave with three passes. Would recommend to anybody.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Pretty razor. Gives a nice shave. Easy to use.
Cons: Just a tad light and short but nothing horrible
I bought this razor as the result of RAD. I liked the look of the razor and I was not disappointed when I received it. It is a nice looking addition to the new and growing rotation.

The grip is a bit on the short side. This could be because I am used to longer handles. My first razor was the Merkur 47C long handled razor and my second was the Edwin Jagger DE-89L. Compared to those two razors, the 1904 is very short and light. It is nothing that is horrible though and my first shaves have been very close and pleasant.

I think this would be a great razor for a beginner and would be a great razor for someone who shaves everyday, as it is not too aggressive but certainly has enough spunk to get the job done.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
Pros: Great Razor for the beginner
Cons: A little slippery when wet
To be fair, I haven't used this razor extensively. I purchased it as my teen son's first razor. He had tried a late 40's SS and a 61' ball end Tech.

Cost - $26 bucks from WCS, inexpensive.

Finish - its good, smooth and even - I didn't notice it, but my son says it gets a little slippery.

Aggressiveness - really pretty mild, that's why I chose it for him - easier to learn on with less blood loss. It still shaves and is capable of providing a smooth shave.

Bottom line, it's a great inexpensive, mild razor for anyone starting out. It's a nice little alternative for experienced shavers when a less aggressive shave is desired. For $26 bucks you can't go wrong.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
Pros: Probably the best bang for buck NEW razor a beginner can buy.
Cons: Handle could be reworked slightly.
As mentioned I can't think of a better starter razor you can currently buy brand new that can compete with this little trooper in a dollar for dollar comparison.

To address some concerns raised in earlier reviews:
- The blade change isn't any harder than any other 3 piece.
- The handle is slightly short, though its not perceivable different to the HD in length.
-Grip is a little less than perfect but I've not had any issues due to this.

All said if you're starting out and really want to buy new there's no good reason not to consider this one.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
D
Pros: Great starter DE. Mile shave and easy to hold.
Cons: Very mild shave. Shorter handle may bother some.
My little stubby. Cool looking design on the handle, that is functional in that it provides great grip. The handle is a bit short, so that may be a bother to some with larger hands. The balance is pretty good as the razor head does all the work for you with proper grip. Very mild blade positioning makes it a good starter razor. Overall a good 3 pass razor and looks good in the stand.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
3.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Pros: price
Cons: slippery when wet
This is the second razor I have owned, the first being a cheap butterfly model. At $25 the price it is hard to beat, especially for a beginner.

The razor has a nickle finish with a hexagonal handle that looks great. It is well balanced with a fairly heavy head which I like. Quality is good and the three piece design is simple and makes it very easy to clean. Since I have currently only tried two razors I don't feel a comment on aggressiveness from me would be meaningful. The one negative aspect as others have noted is that it can be very slick when it gets wet.

I would recommend this razor to beginners, just be sure to keep the handle and your fingers dry!
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
0.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
3.00 star(s)
My 1904 is Several years old. It was my first shot at DE Shaving and I was underwhelmed at the time. Dropped it in the drawer and went back to a Mach 3.
Later I decided to give DE a shot again and bought the Feather Plastic DE that came with 2 Feather Blades. The Feather was a good shave and I realized that my problem with the 1904 was the quality of the blades I had used.They sucked.
With the Feather Blades ,the 1904 came alive and I have used it a lot in the last year. I get excellent BBS shaves with zero irritation.
I have the closed comb and it works perfectly on my mug.
My only complaint is that it lacks the heft that I prize in my Fatboy and Slim.
I also wish the handle was a little longer.
All in All, a excellent first DE razor.
Highly recommended.
:thumbup1:
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
2.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Recently acquired this beautiful functional razor off eBay. The head is a HD clone and the weight is heavier then advertised at 2.3 oz (most dealers say 1.7 oz) so did Merkur increase the weight or are the dealers wrong?. I loaded mine with a Feather and the shaves are smooth and close with zero irritation. This is simply a great razor and inexpensive when you compare it to other Merkurs or other high end brands.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
This was my first DE and is still my only razor. It was the cheapest new razor I could find at under $25. It looks great IMO. I get a very nice shave from it. I don't have anything to compare it to, but using Derby blades I started getting a DFS after 1 month. The grip on it is fine, unless you have tons of oil involved. Changing blades is relatively easy and takes about 20 seconds. I haven't used any other razors so I can't compare, but in any case that should not deter anyone from this razor. It feels like it will last me my lifetime without any problems. It has already survived two drops without any damage.

This razor seems like a very balanced razor that would serve a variety of people. It looks good, it's relatively cheap, it seems mildly aggressive but I'm sure it can get pretty aggressive with the right blade in there. I would recommend this as a great first razor or somebody looking for that workhorse everyday razor.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
1.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I bought this razor just because of his appearance and because it is relatively cheap.
The 1904 has the same head than the Merkur HD. Everything is fine except the handle which is too light, too short and has no grip. The balance is not so good, most of the weight is in the head.
I have better results using the Mühle R89 or the Mekur HD than the 1904.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
I would like to recommend this razor. There are a couple of things I’d like to address;

- Merkur does an open and closed comb version of this razor. Go for this one - The open comb is overly aggressive.

- I have found no problem gripping this razor. As long as you keep shaving oil out of the equation, you should have no problems.

- The razor is SLIGHTLY lighter than an HD - it still has an adequate amount of weight to give you a good shave.

- Blade replacement is straight forward.

I'd recommend this razor as a daily shaver. It's cheap and simple but also quite small and nimble which makes it easy to use. I think aggressiveness is mainly determined by your choice of blade - I use Gillette Swedes which do me fine.

I've used Merkurs 38c, 34c, 11c, 23c and this is by far my favourite. Definitely worth a try!
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
This is my main razor and I actually really like it. It's simple and it works and it'll last forever. I would have to agree however with some of the common complaints this razor gets: the handle can be slippery if you've got shave oil on your hands and you have to be pretty careful changing blades. Other than that I get consistent, close shaves every morning with this baby. :biggrin: I can't really comment on the aggressiveness of the razor as I haven't tried enough safety razors to be able to compare. Seems about right though!
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
4.00 star(s)
Balance
5.00 star(s)
Quality
5.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
4.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
I got my 1904 at a great price and I really like the other Merkurs I have, so I had no problem adding this to the collection.

The solid handle is what makes this one unique in the Merkur line. It feels a little heavier than the Classic and a little lighter than the HD, so it will fit the bill for those who think the Classic is too light or the HD is too heavy. The only thing that takes getting used to is the hexagonal handle, but I took to it pretty quickly.

The shaves are as good as any of the other fixed head Merkurs. I certainly don't see this as any less of a performer than it's cousins. This will definitely be added to the rotation.
Grip
3.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
3.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
3.00 star(s)
5.00 star(s)
I have to start out this review stating that I bought it purely because I liked the look. Given that I could get this razor cheaper than a classic murker how could I say no? Personally I think the reviews so fair have been a little harsh, for me the razor performs quite well getting a good clean shave with little effort. I've not found any problems with the build quality, it's plating is all nice and bright with no defects.

I can't say I found it too light or the handle too short, but it does feel lighter than my Gillette slim adjustable. I've not had any troubles holding it, but I didn't try gripping the knob on the end. Still I always find it's a good idea to have a towel and dry hands when changing blades, but I am prone to inattention. I Marked it down on blade replacement, but that's purely because it's a three piece not a TTO.

I find it to be in the middle for aggressiveness, but still good enough to get the job done. It's gone in to my daily rotation with murker blades and once I find my feathers it'll probably perform even better for me.

Given the build quality and how well it shaves for me I'd have to say it's a good razor overall. Also, for the price who wouldn't take Jessica home.
Grip
4.00 star(s)
Price
5.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
4.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
2.00 star(s)
I read a million reviews before purchasing a DE razor. I finally went with the 1904 because it was a classic and fairly cheep. So I wouldn't feel to bad if I didn't like it and wanted to buy another one.I have been using a Merkur razor with it, but I hope to get some Feather blades. I have no complaint about the razor other then the handle was short but I got used to it after the third or fourth shave. Replacing the blades is very simple but separating the blade it self from the top is a little awkward as you have no edges to hold thats not the blade it self. It cleans great and works great. I change blades after three shaves, but maybe the feather will last a little longer. The razor is never really the cause for any cuts mostly its just me pushing down hard.
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
2.00 star(s)
Balance
3.00 star(s)
Quality
4.00 star(s)
User Friendly
2.00 star(s)
Aggressiveness
2.00 star(s)
4.00 star(s)
Price = relatively cheap
Quality = Ok
Aggressiveness = Not very. A bit more aggressive than a Gillette Tech.

Grip, User Friendly, Ease of Blade Replacement = Good: The 1904 is nice to look thanks to its ornamental handle. Bad: Unfortunately the metal they chose for the handle is too light. The ornamentation is too smooth thanks to the polished chrome finish, its on the slippery side of things. The handle also has a big round knob at the end which you want to grab on to to change blades but can't. Blade changing would be a breeze if that little knob was only faceted so that you can maintain a grip on it. As it stands if you want to replace the blade better use a towel and dry hands.

Recap = Light, pretty, klutzy, can't grab its big knob. Translation, the 1904 is the Jessica Simpson of razors.

proxy.php
Grip
2.00 star(s)
Price
1.00 star(s)
Balance
4.00 star(s)
Quality
3.00 star(s)
Adjustability
1.00 star(s)
User Friendly