What's new

Read any good books lately?

I also read only technical books for many years, but then just stopped and donated my entire library to a computer lab that teaches technicians.
I was able to get both books from my local library in digital format for my kindle e-reader. They are unbelievable for reading, no eye strain like a computer monitor or tablet. I could read 10 hours straight with my kindle oasis without eye strain. But check your local library if you decide to read them in either format.

I need to get an e-reader. Currently use an old phone with a 6 in display. I can do black and white and drop the blue light on the display but it still doesn't feel comfortable to the eyes.

Are Kindles tied to Amazon's system? Meaning can I read books I have locally in pdf or epub or only in their format?

Recently read a couple of books by Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind, and The Wise Man's Fear.

I quite enjoyed these a few years ago, but I am a bit frustrated waiting for the 3rd part. Maybe it is out now; I am not sure.

Just finished An American Marriage about a black man who goes to jail for a crime he didn't commit and how the situation affected his marriage and other relationships. Not what I typically read, but it was interesting. Didn't quite live up to its reputation but was a solid read.

Also just finished Past Tense by Lee Child. It is the typical Jack Reacher novel, so pretty good for what it is--though not the best Reacher story by far.

Finally, Green on Blue by Elliot Ackerman about the intersection of villiage life, warlords, US forces, and Afghan forces in Afghanistan. The story is told through a boy who moves from village life into an Afghan militia. Excellent book, and one that tells a story that isn't typically told.

Well, that is this week's reading. I guess I need to spend more time on B&B!

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I need to get an e-reader. Currently use an old phone with a 6 in display. I can do black and white and drop the blue light on the display but it still doesn't feel comfortable to the eyes.
Are Kindles tied to Amazon's system? Meaning can I read books I have locally in pdf or epub or only in their format?

They are tied to Amazon's system for purchasing books or using their subscription service like "kindle unlimited" . I tried their kindle unlimited service but found it to be sub par for my needs, but many people like it. It didn't have a lot of the best sellers available, and lacked some of the better known and top authors. It may work out cheaper if you are not to heavy of a reader and just purchase one or two books a month. I rarely buy any books from them because libraries are really expanding their digital format books available, including audio books if you like those.
So what I do is simply install a program named 'OverDrive ' , which connects you to your local library to view and download ebooks. If you have a kindle you can choose that format and it then sends you to your amazon account to have it sent to your kindle for free. There is also an expiration date just like a regular library loan, but you don't have to go to the library to return the book. So I installed overdrive on my tablet and computer and then I am able to browse, search, and download books without leaving the house.

So there are ways to read epub books, but you would need to convert them to the kindle format and remove the drm protection with another software program named Calibre. I don't bother with this.

So as far as e-readers, there is a new version of their paperwhite e-reader that is probably as good as the more expensive versions. The resolution for reading certainly is. The first time I picked up a kindle voyage I said "this is better than a book!" They are very light to hold and the "e-ink" as it's called, is phenomenal. Smaller and lighter than a paperback and just as easy to read as print.
I hope this helps. ☺

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I quite enjoyed these a few years ago, but I am a bit frustrated waiting for the 3rd part. Maybe it is out now; I am not sure.

Just finished An American Marriage about a black man who goes to jail for a crime he didn't commit and how the situation affected his marriage and other relationships. Not what I typically read, but it was interesting. Didn't quite live up to its reputation but was a solid read.

Also just finished Past Tense by Lee Child. It is the typical Jack Reacher novel, so pretty good for what it is--though not the best Reacher story by far.

Finally, Green on Blue by Elliot Ackerman about the intersection of villiage life, warlords, US forces, and Afghan forces in Afghanistan. The story is told through a boy who moves from village life into an Afghan militia. Excellent book, and one that tells a story that isn't typically told.

Well, that is this week's reading. I guess I need to spend more time on B&B!

I too am waiting for the third book, just like when I read The Twelve.

I am also a big Lee Child fan and have also read Past Tense. I agree with you, not his best work.
I will have to take a look at the Elliot Ackerman book, thanks for the info.

Excellent.....im generally not a "book" reader...i know sounds strange but i read manuals, blueprints etc all day...not the same thing i know but...lol.

My wife suggested, you know the kind of "suggestions", that i might want to read something else.....these two titles just caught my attention so im going to seek them out.
That is a problem when working in a technical field. If one is in a science, engineering, programming, medical, legal, etc. profession, the amount of information to read expands daily. Taking time away from causal reading. No time for "Moby Dick" when one needs to read the latest HTML spec or results from the latest clinical trial.

They are tied to Amazon's system for purchasing books or using their subscription service like "kindle unlimited" . I tried their kindle unlimited service but found it to be sub par for my needs, but many people like it. It didn't have a lot of the best sellers available, and lacked some of the better known and top authors. It may work out cheaper if you are not to heavy of a reader and just purchase one or two books a month. I rarely buy any books from them because libraries are really expanding their digital format books available, including audio books if you like those.
So what I do is simply install a program named 'OverDrive ' , which connects you to your local library to view and download ebooks. If you have a kindle you can choose that format and it then sends you to your amazon account to have it sent to your kindle for free. There is also an expiration date just like a regular library loan, but you don't have to go to the library to return the book. So I installed overdrive on my tablet and computer and then I am able to browse, search, and download books without leaving the house.

So there are ways to read epub books, but you would need to convert them to the kindle format and remove the drm protection with another software program named Calibre. I don't bother with this.

So as far as e-readers, there is a new version of their paperwhite e-reader that is probably as good as the more expensive versions. The resolution for reading certainly is. The first time I picked up a kindle voyage I said "this is better than a book!" They are very light to hold and the "e-ink" as it's called, is phenomenal. Smaller and lighter than a paperback and just as easy to read as print.
I hope this helps. ☺

Indeed it was very helpful. A Kindle Paperwhite is the ticket. Also need to get a library card. The only library I've used in the last few years has been my university's library.

Browse the free books, they cycle them, and can get a variety, if you dont like delete, sometimes they will have 3 free to entice you to read and if you like get the rest of the series, im not a reader, just hit or miss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not really used the library for years aside from letting the kids mill aroud. Most all book shopping of recent years is from chairty shops.
My wife kept a reading list this year and was sad to only read 100 books, think I mananaged about 10.

Almost finished the very slim but nicely written One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn and have just started Rosshalde by Herman Hesse.

My bath book for a few weeks has been The Cloudspotter's Guide: The Science, History & Culture of Clouds. It's oddly written and a little annoying at times but I've seen some danm fine cumulonimbus of late.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
1Q84

Totally bizarre, and long when you consider all 3 books, but absolutely worth it.

That's a long one for sure, still not even half way through.
Very different type of book, but in a very good way.

I recently read the novel Back, by Henry Green. First published in 1946, it concerns a shell-shocked young man's return to England in 1944 from the war, where he had been interred and lost a leg. But in the London and neighboring countryside under the Blitz, he is not the only one who is a bit rattled by the war. The love of his life has died while he was interred, and subsequently, he becomes obsessed with her half-sister, who resembles her. It was an engrossing read for me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Yes, you can put e books that are not in Amazon onto the Kindle (as long as they are PDF or epub)- you just need to connect the Kindle to a computer.

I recently read the novel Back, by Henry Green. First published in 1946, it concerns a shell-shocked young man's return to England in 1944 from the war, where he had been interred and lost a leg. But in the London and neighboring countryside under the Blitz, he is not the only one who is a bit rattled by the war. The love of his life has died while he was interred, and subsequently, he becomes obsessed with her half-sister, who resembles her. It was an engrossing read for me.

Sounds like a good read. My local library has it, so I put a hold on a copy, thanks

Top Bottom