What's new

What straight did you use today? Now with PICTURES

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Really like the scales on your Bengall Steve, did you do it?
No sorry to say. JR Rowe did them. I’m getting a 6/8 Wostenholm from him today with custom scales and will have a Herder he is doing in a couple of weeks. He does great work and reasonable prices. I’ll post the Wostenholm tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the compliment by the way.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
6368D188-6A65-4472-87E7-56FB78CE68AD.jpeg

4/8 Puma 80 Silversteel. I do enjoy the other sizes but if I had to choose only one size blade forever, I would go with the 4/8.

proxy.php

Caruso,Solingen

Tried out European Nivea Aftershave Splash for the first time and it was nice stuff! My Crabtree and Evelyn Nomad Cream is about to kick the bucket though, I’m gonna miss the scent when it’s gone.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Filarmonica Especial

Oh boy.... beautiful, and in great shape too.

This thread is always great, but recently seems to be even more impressive.
Looking at last 3+ pages, I'm trying to find one razor that's "just OK" and not having much success in doing that.

that is a great looking razor and photo. This is why the razor acquisition disease is never quite stamped out.
You think you're cured for a while and then pictures like this come along.
Sigh.

Yes that's what I keep thinking and Thank you for your kind comments Sir!!!

Razors are like chips.....you just cant have one.

That is so so true Dean!!!

Looking at last 3+ pages, I'm trying to find one razor that's "just OK" and not having much success in doing that.

Borris I blame Arne and Antoine and everyone else for all the beauty in here....

Filarmonica Especial

proxy.php

Antoine! that is just beautiful and love the inlay on the scales :em2200::em2200::em2200:

To be totally honest any modern straight razor made by a renowned maker will give you a first class shave if it's been correctly honed. Then again there are personal preferences. Even so I stand behind that Ralf Aust makes razors that really stands out in the crowd and that this 6/8 is a fantastic razor in every aspect possible. A great razor for newbies and veterans alike.

View attachment 940102
I second the notion that Ralph Aust makes great shavers. After reading up in this section of B&B, I decided to get a 6/8s Ralph Aust from Maggards in Chicago. It arrived looking great and it is indeed a marvelous shaver. Its quite different from my Boker King Cutter in how it handles. Much more substantial in the hand. Quieter on the face than the Boker. Very easy to move around. Props all around for those who give out advice on these. Great recommendation

Todays Shave

Otto Deutsch 5/8 Solingen
RazoRock xXx
Rubberset 400/4 Silvertip
Christian Dior Eau Sauvage Cologne

View attachment 940518
Awesome razor and an awesome photo. Thank you for sharing!

I have a very similar set of scales on a 6/8 Puma. I love the look of it on your Bengall. Aren't those just wonderful razors? Thank you for sharing!

Thursday's Shave
'Lime Twist'
View attachment 940550
A beautiful razor! Thank you for sharing.

Awesome razor and an awesome photo. Thank you for sharing!

I have a very similar set of scales on a 6/8 Puma. I love the look of it on your Bengall. Aren't those just wonderful razors? Thank you for sharing!

A beautiful razor! Thank you for sharing.

Thank you Erich!!!

Todays shave was from one of my favorite razors....this Joseph Rodgers & Sons. This razor came to me in pretty tough shape but it was superbly restored, rescaled (original shape) and expertly honed by Doc226. View attachment 940619

What a beautiful razor Dean!!! That's one maker I love seeing, as they are close to Wade & Butcher I think they used the same blanks aswell. but the jury is out on that one...….:001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1::001_tt1:

I might use my Joseph Rodgers today as it aint seen a lot of use...

Love those scales
Yes that's what I keep thinking and Thank you for your kind comments Sir!!!

That is so so true Dean!!!

Borris I blame Arne and Antoine and everyone else for all the beauty in here....

Antoine! that is just beautiful and love the inlay on the scales :em2200::em2200::em2200:

Tks Gents

Not a bad looking razor at all. :a14:
Thank you:001_smile
Todays Shave

C.V. Heljestrand M**k No 32
RazoRock xXx
Rubberset 400
Acqua Di Parma Colonia

View attachment 940608

Ian, I can't remeber if I ever asked you how you find the CVH 32. Even if I have, could you please refresh my memory?
Shaved with another eBay find from Sheffield. A Wostenholm & Son wedge, this is the 4th razor I've now honed. Being a wedge it was definitely trickier but I was able to figure it out. I knew the bevel was going to be big and ugly because I refused to use tape but I am fine with that considering what I paid.

proxy.php
This is a very fine specimen that would be a joy and pride to anyone.

Now that's a great looking Puma. There is something special about them, but then there is something special about Dorko, Filamonica,... I think I need to add another Puma to my collection.
I This one has my very best recommendations as does the 6/8 No.52 thumb notch and the 69 6/8 half hollow thumb notch razor.
View attachment 940635
4/8 Puma 80 Silversteel. I do enjoy the other sizes but if I had to choose only one size blade forever, I would go with the 4/8.
I guess that I too prefer 4/8 if I there could be only one size.

Over the years I repetedly have asked for "rusty and crusty", but matters have only become worse.

Like with some of my older razors, I sometimes wonder how come this near wedge Hellberg from the early 1890’s has survived for so long and why it was in NOS condition when I first got it. I occasionally see the slightly older versions of this once popular model for sale, but they are mostly more to be considered to be scrap metal than razors. Perhaps this one has survived because it was outmoded already when it was produced. Perhaps it was stowed away discarded for a hollow ground razor and then was preserved as some sort of relic, of a man long forgotten, for four or five generations?

In any case to me it puts my own life span in perspective. We are like the flowers of spring. We shoot up, bloom and soon fade and die, small parts in the eternal flow of life.

20190105_072910.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom