What's new

Was this impulse buy a mistake or was it worth it?

A week before Christmas, I decided to treat myself to a Parker Variant.
Few days before Christmas, I was reading posts, reviews and ended up buying the Game Changer .84 with a radio knob handle. This puts my collection of razors at 6 (including two that I’m trying to sell). I’ve been getting decent shaves from the Variant but still getting used to it.

Perhaps I was freaking out after joining the 2019 Sabbatical.

Are these razors worth the purchase? Read good reviews about the game changer but it won’t be shipped until after the new year.

If you like the shave, it was worth it. If you don’t like the shave, sell them

It’s not that much of a commitment... it’s not like you’re getting married and will have to give up half your stuff if it doesn’t work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think razors are like kitchen knives. You would usually have 6-12 and use them in different situations. Razors are just tools and you'll know when you'll need one or the others. I have 16 and I use them all.

I haven't tried the Parker Variant, but I imagine it shaves differently than the the Game Changer. One day you'll need aggression and one day something milder. I bet they're both great and worth the money. Keep them. Not like they're gonna plummet in value. More to enjoy!

Learn what you like and dislike about the razors. Next razor choice will be that much better for it. Sell razors in BST you don't like.

Few days before Christmas, I was reading posts, reviews and ended up buying the Game Changer .84 with a radio knob handle. This puts my collection of razors at 6 (including two that I’m trying to sell). I’ve been getting decent shaves from the Variant but still getting used to it.

Are these razors worth the purchase? Read good reviews about the game changer but it won’t be shipped until after the new year.

Only u can tell if it's a mistake or not but only after u've shave with it. If u don't like it after 2 weeks u could sell it without losing a cent as getting one isn't easy lol.

Yes, totally worth it IMO! Keep both in your den as they are both very smooth & efficient shavers.
+1
I have them both and like each one of them on its own way.
For fast, super smooth and efficient shavings I reach for the GC .84, after a weekend with a few days grew to the Vatiant on 4 wtg, 3 xtg and 2 atg, for easy BBS.

It would seem impulsive to jump in on 2 razors at the same time but should see you through the sabbatical.
Only u can tell if it's a mistake or not but only after u've shave with it. If u don't like it after 2 weeks
I would suggest a lot longer than 2 weeks and put different blades through each. They may perform better with particular blades.
The Progress is one of my favourite razors so I would think the Variant would shave similar; it is the clone of the Progress.

Thanks everyone. I’m still trying different settings for the variant but so far getting good shaves.

Based on what I read, I can’t wait to try the game changer. Hopefully it won’t take soon once it’s shipped to get here.

Yeah both those razors are keepers for sure. The Variant easily ranks in my top ten among more expensive razors. Only 6 razors? I have hundreds.

It would seem impulsive to jump in on 2 razors at the same time but should see you through the sabbatical.

I would suggest a lot longer than 2 weeks and put different blades through each. They may perform better with particular blades.
The Progress is one of my favourite razors so I would think the Variant would shave similar; it is the clone of the Progress.

I absolutely agree, 2 weeks is nowhere near enough time. I have any number of razors that I did not care for when I tried them for the first time. Some months later, I would try one of them again and I would find the razor to be just great. I have some razors that work beautifully with Israeli blues, others with Israeli reds, others give me shaving nirvana with Feathers. Two weeks is just not enough time to experiment. Also, some razors work well for me in winter when my skin is more dry, others work well in summer. Some days I need a very close shave, other days a basic one pass clean-up is all that is required. As you get to know the razor and blade combination you like for the situation you'll find that you'll be happy to have a choice.

And of course, any razor you don't like can be sold either here or on the bay. It's not a lifetime commitment and you can often recoup almost everything you paid and sometimes more so the cost is not all that great to try a new razor.

Where would Western Civilization be without impulse purchases? Only people in advanced civilizations can afford to make impulse purchases. It is an affiction of affluency.

I am considering which is better. The Variant or the Progress. Very similar. Tough to decide.

Top Bottom