What's new

Oh boy...I may be a convert

Today I shaved with my recently acquired Ever Ready 1924 using a Treet Super Single Edge on its second use.
This is only the second time I have ever used a SE razor. The first time was with a Gem Micro Matic Bullet Tip that was given to my son by a friend of mine.
I have to say that during both shaves, just the audio feedback alone made me worry about what the post-shave feel was gonna be like. But both times, I was pleasantly surprised. More to the point I was AMAZED at how comfortable the shave was as well as how close it came out to be!
I just may have some re-evaluating to do on my hardware....

After 25 years of shaving with a DE, I recently became a convert as well. I bought a Damaskeene on the well-known auction site a few weeks ago, and I doubt I’ll ever go back.

Today I shaved with my recently acquired Ever Ready 1924 using a Treet Super Single Edge on its second use.
This is only the second time I have ever used a SE razor. The first time was with a Gem Micro Matic Bullet Tip that was given to my son by a friend of mine.
I have to say that during both shaves, just the audio feedback alone made me worry about what the post-shave feel was gonna be like. But both times, I was pleasantly surprised. More to the point I was AMAZED at how comfortable the shave was as well as how close it came out to be!
I just may have some re-evaluating to do on my hardware....
Congratulations ! You're going to enjoy the shaves especially the post shave feel you mention. Good luck going back to DEs now :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Sold all my my DE razors more than 1 year ago. I may be wrong but I think the more rigid SE blades are the key to a better shave. My daily razor is the Blackland L2, probably the most efficient razor I have ever used. Remarkable shave with seemingly no effort. There is no going back.

I'm now almost completely SE. The Personna PTFE blade is so good I even doubt how much I'm going to use my ATT SE1 with P-30s, and that itself took over from my DE razors. I love my Clog-Pruf and look forward to buying more GEMs - they're works of art.

But what I love most is trying different handles on my Ever-Ready 1912 - big fun! You can go as heavy as you like. I'm now at 80g with a Rockwell 6C handle, but with a Bulldog handle that would go up to 94g. You could go well over 100g if you wanted to. The ER1912 are peanuts on auction sites so you can experiment with a few of them. I found that 2BA threads work fine to attach most handles to the heads. Make yourself a super-razor!

ER1912+Rockwell2.jpg

Is there a AC SE that is available for the price of a used vintage GEM razor? I have the Feather SS folding shavette.
Has anyone performed a head to head comparison between the GEM and AC?

No, though the Hawk is affordable and you might pick up an aluminium SE1 or General. But I don't think you'll get a better shave than with GEMs. I don't use my ATT SE1 much, and that sits on my shelf right next to my GEMs. One thing I love about my GEMS is the audio feedback, especially with my 1912 which is LOUD. That's now part of my shaving and I don't want to sacrifice it. It tells me when and where I'm cutting hair, so it's become a part of my technique.

No, though the Hawk is affordable and you might pick up an aluminium SE1 or General. But I don't think you'll get a better shave than with GEMs. I don't use my ATT SE1 much, and that sits on my shelf right next to my GEMs. One thing I love about my GEMS is the audio feedback, especially with my 1912 which is LOUD. That's now part of my shaving and I don't want to sacrifice it. It tells me when and where I'm cutting hair, so it's become a part of my technique.

I love the audibles. That said , there is a balance I’m learning. Too loud of audibles just means your scraping instead of cutting. Flattening the blade cuts.

B

BavariaBrewer

I'm waiting for my Paradigm SE that should arrive any day now...we'll see if it might make me a convert.

Congratulations. It was the AC blades that got me, but apparently AC and GEM type SEs both use thicker, stiffer blades and generally have more rigid razor designs. Seems to make for more efficient, comfortable shaves all around.

I use both DE and SE and enjoy both.

My experience with SE mirrors the OP's.
More audible feedback, less flex in the blade, great consistent shaves.

Is there a AC SE that is available for the price of a used vintage GEM razor? I have the Feather SS folding shavette.

Has anyone performed a head to head comparison between the GEM and AC?

The Ikon El Jefe AC SE head comes in at pretty good value too.

Top Bottom