What's new

FATIP GRANDE - FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Question: Does the handle on the Gentile work on the Piccolo and Grande too?

i'm pretty sure all the current mk2 fatip parts are interchangeable, all the OCs are the same regardless of handle and/or color finish... and also the same plates and heads on all the handle/color variations of gentile closed too. i swapped the plates from my regular nickel OC piccolo and special edition gentile piccolo into an awesome looking pair of razors

proxy.php

i'm pretty sure all the current mk2 fatip parts are interchangeable, all the OCs are the same regardless of handle and/or color finish... and also the same plates and heads on all the handle/color variations of gentile closed too. i swapped the plates from my regular nickel OC piccolo and special edition gentile piccolo into an awesome looking pair of razors

I see, so the Retro is just the same OC head on a different handle? I guess the trick is to have the OC and CC and find the handle you prefer most of all.

I am looking at the options at Italian Barber. Do you have a favorite handle that comes with the Gentile?

Thanks!

proxy.php

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Okay, cool, then must get a Gentile too. I don't think I want any handle smaller than the Grande, so no need for a Piccolo. Good to know.
I have 24 Fatips. For the past few weeks I've been using my Gentiles exclusively and may do so for awhile. I'm just really getting into them. I'm just enjoying the ease of the shave. Right now they are my favorite Fatips...until I go back to my Fatip OC's...then the OC's will be my favorite. I really think you will enjoy the switch ups between them. They all shave like Fatips which means smooth and efficient.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
How many Schones?
Just one, it's an older Schone with the column type handle. Between my Fatip Gentiles and OC's it doesn't see much use. They seem to cover all the bases in ease, smoothness, and efficiency quite sufficiently. I may have to break the Schone out at some point and revisit it.

Excellent! I will order a Gentile and should be set for life. I saw a link that shows handles that work with Fatips, so there are options out there.

Question: How come you guys have the same symbol for your picture? Is that the symbol for the cult of Fatip? LOL

Thanks for the information!

Here's my favorite Fatip custom handle Derek:
upload_2018-12-18_15-9-18.png

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like it though. It's 75mm long (same length as the Piccolo handle) and weighs in at 16g.

Welcome to the club!

Yep, handles and other parts all interchange. I cant remember all the names we've come up with, maybe @Capisco Capisce can. The Grande Genolo...The Grande Piccoloni lol.

Some even use the Fatip base with other caps and handles. @jmudrick is Dr.Frankenstein. Or is that Frankensteen? lol.

View attachment 936093
Hah! Genolo! Piccolo Handle on Gentile head. And it sounds a lot like a great salami! But that would be Genovese (Genoa Salami).

But now, I've got to find a new name for my Piccolo head on a Yagi handle. The Yaqi handle is slightly shorter than a Piccolo's handle, a bit larger in diameter, heavier, solid brass. nickel plated, and otherwise quite similar to a Piccolo handle in aesthetics. I like it. A lot.

proxy.php

if you really want to go more in depth with this you should try out the fatip gentile plate too. i made a thread about my piccolos that i plan on updating again in a few weeks after i try out few more blades with both plates. I'll be trying my first Feather this weekend.

My original assessment in that thread was that the gentile plate was more "comfortable" but i think i need to change that term to "easier", or something like that, because the open comb can still be extremely comfortable & smooth with the right blade and the right technique....but the gentile seems to achieve the same results with less attention and carefulness, i can just zip it around kinda willy nilly and it's still amazing. I think you're hitting onto the same type of idea here.
I have a Gentile, and like it enough. It's one of my favorite Safety Bar razors. But for me, it just can't chase my Piccolo. My Piccolo's still my 1#.

But unfortunately, my Gentile is not my #2 - my next choice in line - when I want a milder shave than my Piccolo. That choice is my Razorock SLOC. It's milder and less efficient than my Piccolo, but I've grown quite fond of it. In terms of a shaving characteristics, I feel it's a milder Piccolo. Which is a nice change of pace, once-in-a-while.

Consider giving it a try, if you get a chance.

That choice is my Razorock SLOC.

Consider giving it a try, if you get a chance.

I've had my eye on that for awhile but i wanna take my time and get really good with both versions of my piccolos and experiment with different blades in them for a few months first.

In my lurkings and searchings at this forum i've noticed SLOC's always get mentioned in fatip threads, and fatips always get recommended in SLOC threads...they must be kindred spirits of the shaving gods. I like it for its uniqueness from the rest of the crowd, i think the PAA ascension looks pretty cool too.

Last edited:
I've had my eye on that for awhile but i wanna take my time and get really good with both versions of my piccolos and experiment with different blades in them for a few months first.

In my lurkings and searchings at this forum i've noticed SLOC's always get mentioned in fatip threads, and fatips always get recommended in SLOC threads...they must be kindred spirits of the shaving gods. I like it for its uniqueness from the rest of the crowd, i think the PAA ascension looks pretty cool too.
I never caught the bolded, but I wouldn't doubt it. The have very similar shaving natures, in my opinion. Except the SLOC is milder and less efficient. But otherwise, they're pretty similar to me. Well, except the SLOC blade always aligns perfectly without effort! :001_tongu

Excellent! I will order a Gentile and should be set for life. I saw a link that shows handles that work with Fatips, so there are options out there.

Question: How come you guys have the same symbol for your picture? Is that the symbol for the cult of Fatip? LOL

Thanks for the information!
Hah! You must be new at this! :D

Top Bottom