What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" December 17th - December 23rd, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

This soap nails the Christmas scent! Performance is excellent as well. Gillette 195 with Nacet blade. Started lather in bowl, finished on face. Doug Korn Ivory handle.

SOTD, Monday, December 17th, 2018

Shower at gym + glycerin soap face lather and rinse
Cella shave soap + Simpson badger brush
Thiers-Issard La Legende 6/8" straight razor
Cool washcloth rinse
Myrsol F aftershave

proxy.php

Tuesday SOTD

proxy.php

Razor: Karve E
Blade: Super Iridium (D3)
Brush: Shavemac Americana D01 3-Band 24mm
Bowl: Black Ship Grooming 4.5"
Pre-Shave Scrub: MRGO Lime
Pre-Shave Balm: Grooming Dept Unscented V35
Shave Soap: DG/CL - La Forêt de Liguest
Aftershave: Chatillon Lux La Forêt de Liguest

dec17soda.jpg

Pre-shave: Cremo cooling
Razor: Fatip Grande
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Omega Boar
Soap: Arko
Aftershave: Nivea Cooling

12/17/18
Tabac
Shavemac Custom Silver Tip
6/8 Puma #91
Tony Miller 3" Premium Fast Bridle Strop
RazoRock Alum Stick
Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum
Haslinger Sandalwood Balm
Zoologist Rhinoceros
SOTD12-17-18.jpg

Phoenix and Beau | Star Noir
Cadman-Beau | Synthetic
Phoenix Shaving | Ascension Double Open Comb (316L Stainless Steel)
Treet Platinum Super Stainless Steel

proxy.php

I've commented on Phoenix and Beau's tallow soap base performance several times, essentially asserting it does all things well. The base is very similar in all aspects to Barrister and Mann's white label right down to the thirst. If you don't give this soap the water it needs, you will completely miss out on what it has to offer. That having been well established, I'll keep the forthcoming comments limited to my fragrance impressions.

Star Noir is Phoenix and Beau's nod to David Bowie's signature 1990s fragrance, Minotaure from house Paloma Picasso. Never having experienced Minotaure, I can't speak to the accuracy, but it's my understanding this is more of an homage as opposed to an outright dupe. Additionally, in my limited research, I discovered that while Minotaure is still in production, it's suffered from reformulation from the original 1992 Cosmair distribution. I really do wish I knew which one Star Noir points to, because given how much I enjoy this Star Noir fragrance, I would definitely pick up the EdT, vintage or otherwise.

Star Noir opens with a bold vegetal musk of green crushed herbs with subtle bitter citrus peering through. As the first pass begins to wrap up, a rich and warm resin, woody lavender, and amber takes hold. During the final lather, Star Noir gets even more complex with the contrast of peculiar aldehydes against heavy woody florals.

The Post Shave Lotion unfolds similarly, but the heart unveils a more distinct ylang ylang and modest amount of patchouli folded into the persistent resinous crushed herbs and woods. The dry down imparts what begins as an understated powdery base but actually gains steam to become what feels like a second wind of an altogether different fragrance stepping into a more traditional barbershop realm. I simply must get my hands on the splash because I feel like it would last longer. As it is, the balm is detectable for close to 4 hours.

I missed Star Noir last year, so I'm quite pleased to have received another chance at it. I've become a pretty big fan of Phoenix and Beau's products as they're quite consistent in offering the complete package of style, function, and class. In my opinion, they very much need a US e-commerce stockist, so more Westerners can have a shot at them.

Addendum: I simply can't leave this SOTD without mentioning my experience with the PAA Ascension SS. I've shared my impressions previously, but I continue to be impressed with this razor, especially as a head-shaver. It's no secret I'm a single-edge razor enthusiast, and honestly nothing can top the performance of my prized Schick F-types, but until now, only the Schick could give me a flawless glass-slick head shave with a single against-the-grain pass. I've gotten into such a habit of doing a single ATG pass on my head in light of the Schick's abilities, I did it with muscle memory today when using the Ascension. The result was nothing less than spectacular. I've tried this numerous times with other razors, and they all require additional passes to achieve "BBS". Now, I have a second razor that can do it in a single pass.

12/17/18 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with The Sudsy Soapery Black Soap Made in Africa
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Solstice Shampoo Puck (W/ Yucca Root & Cider Vinegar)
Stirling Soap Company Glacial Obsidian Small Batch Artisan Menthol Shave Soap
RazoRock 400 Solid Aluminum 24 x 57mm Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush
Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
Rockwell 6S Adjustable Stainless Steel Safety Razor, Plate 5
Derby Extra Blade - 8th Shave
RazoRock Alum Block
Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel Toner
Stirling Soap Company Glacial Obsidian Menthol Aftershave Splash
Stirling Soap Company Glacial Unscented Post-Shave Menthol Balm
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Cold Spices Natural Deodorant - New Sport Strength Formula

B IMG_2100.jpg

Heheheh...it didn't take you long to jump on the Pitralon!

12/17/18 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with The Sudsy Soapery Black Soap Made in Africa
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Solstice Shampoo Puck (W/ Yucca Root & Cider Vinegar)
Stirling Soap Company Glacial Obsidian Small Batch Artisan Menthol Shave Soap
RazoRock 400 Solid Aluminum 24 x 57mm Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush
Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
Rockwell 6S Adjustable Stainless Steel Safety Razor, Plate 5
Derby Extra Blade - 8th Shave
RazoRock Alum Block
Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel Toner
Stirling Soap Company Glacial Obsidian Menthol Aftershave Splash
Stirling Soap Company Glacial Unscented Post-Shave Menthol Balm
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Cold Spices Natural Deodorant - New Sport Strength Formula

View attachment 936127
Very cool pic. Is that a filter/effect or real lighting?

Menthol Monday SOTD

proxy.php

Razor: Gillette Toggle – Rhodium (S5)
Blade: Super Iridium (D2)
Brush: Paladin PK-47 26mm Blonde Badger
Bowl: The Distinctive Goat Style 3 5"
Pre-Shave Scrub: MRGO Lime
Pre-Shave Balm: Grooming Dept Unscented V35
Shave Soap: Grooming Dept Lime (M-bombed)
Aftershave: Royall Lyme

That is such a cool, refreshing pic, Guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom