What's new

Irish goodbye, ghosting, French leave, etc

I agree with the general comments on "it depends on the occasion".

Small dinner party - impossible to slip away unnoticed and not cause offence. Far better to get totally wasted and have your wife drag you away: works for me every time

Industry event - I work in the insurance sector, and especially this time of year there are gatherings almost every night. Usually there are so many people milling around you can just drift off but you should always try and have a few minutes with the host to make sure you get invited back next year

Office party - coming up this Friday, I'll let you know how I manage... Last year I left when the karaoke started!

Company offsite, with overnight stay somewhere - you cannot be the first to leave, unless you are the boss.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
We are having our technician Christmas party on Tuesday. Since 2nd and 3rd shift overlap, we have it together. Second shift (mine) and third have a toxic relationship. We have an hour overlap. When they come in they are supposed to check in to see if there are any problems going on. They don’t. They are supposed to report at 2245 (15 minutes before shift ends) for passdown. They walk in at the last few minutes and expect a comprehensive passdown. Then they consistently moan to the supervisors when we don’t get something fixed (even if the sim is training). My plan- I am going to go ahead and make Texas Red, but I am going to get suddenly sick halfway through the day. This way it can’t be said I didn’t contribute- I just got sick. Yeah, it will cost me time and money, but it has gotten to the point that I wouldn’t urinate on them if they were on fire.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Sounds like a swell place to work!
The interaction with them is the only bad part of my job. There are a few good guys on shift, but their lead sets the tone. He’s a great tech, but as he has gotten older he has gotten the “I’m the only guy fixing things” attitude, and sometimes beefs to the supes. Luckily when he does that, I can get my side out. My bosses know that I admit when I screw up (easy to do in this field- flight simulation), and never point the finger at anyone. It must work, because I recently got a promotion that boosted my pay almost 10%. What is disappointing is that we used to be friends (when I worked thirds). It is the same at every sim shop, it seems. First and second shift have to do bandaid fixes to get the clients back in the sim as fast as possible, while 3rds does the permanent fix. So thirds tend to think they are the only ones doing anything. They have no idea what it’s like have an instructor breathing down your neck, and a program manager calling you to find out what’s up. Some of our initial courses are $80k, so time is of the essence.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Dang, a coworker just reminded me that I bailed on the party last year. I can't do it two years in a row without hearing about it from my supervisor.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You want a really good laugh? About a half hour after he reminded me, he emailed the supervisor (as a lead, he cc'ed me) saying he had a personal day to use (those are "use them or lose them"), and asked for Tuesday off. Sneaky. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
@Macfrommichigan, you and I must be related. You love to start interesting subjects. I would love for you to cook me a meal, and I'd more than likely thank you for it. But I am Irish, and I have been in MANY situations where I have made a rude exit. And I can't think of any place that wouldn't invite me back. I'm hilarious.

And if they didn't, I'd just stay home and read a good book.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You want a really good laugh? About a half hour after he reminded me, he emailed the supervisor (as a lead, he cc'ed me) saying he had a personal day to use (those are "use them or lose them"), and asked for Tuesday off. Sneaky. :)
Your sneaky coworker is quick!
As a second shift nurse for many years I was constantly pissed at the stuff 1st shift left, and the inability of 2nd to leave anything for 3rd shift, as they always were a skeleton crew.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Fun read
i just text the hosts goodbye on my way out
or update my Instagram or Twitter feed that im vacating the party

Small dinner party - impossible to slip away unnoticed and not cause offence. Far better to get totally wasted and have your wife drag you away: works for me every time
This is the best comment ever to one of the best threads I have read in a long time. The last time I was accused and the first time I had ever heard of the reference of an Irish goodbye was the result of too much drinking. Either I was going to pass out and possibly get sick or get home and make it my own problem. Was it wrong..maybe but did they care absolutely not.

This is the best comment ever to one of the best threads I have read in a long time. The last time I was accused and the first time I had ever heard of the reference of an Irish goodbye was the result of too much drinking. Either I was going to pass out and possibly get sick or get home and make it my own problem. Was it wrong..maybe but did they care absolutely not.

Years of practice mate! :001_302:

Apparently, the term also applies to employment. I heard a teaser on the radio on my way into work this morning. Apparently, it refers to people who have found other employment, and just stop going to their previous job. No notice, no call to say they've quit . . . just out the door and never a backward glance.

@Macfrommichigan, Please tell me you are a writer for a living. If not, you should be! Thanks for the laugh.

LOL. Yes, I am a writer... of postcards, grocery lists, reminder notes.

Retired fella. Did a little teaching, program management, and a lot of student advising. Now I am in charge of afternoon naps in addition to dinner prep. Lousy pay, but good benefits.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Apparently, the term also applies to employment. I heard a teaser on the radio on my way into work this morning. Apparently, it refers to people who have found other employment, and just stop going to their previous job. No notice, no call to say they've quit . . . just out the door and never a backward glance.
So many companies have pushed for at-will laws, meaning you can be fired at any time, for no reason, and no compensation, then the same companies should be surprised when employees quit at-will. Don’t expect loyalty when you exhibit none.

Top Bottom