What's new

No Collection of Razors

I wanted to see what anyone thought of this. I have a lot of soaps and aftershaves and feel like I do have an addiction in this regard.

However, I have not had the desire though to go wild with different DE razors. I have a Muhle r89 Grande. That's all I have and I feel like I'm good with it. I see so many people on here with a wild collection of all of the above and I feel like maybe I am missing something?

I feel the same way currently but about brushes. I'm about 6 months in and am still figuring out which blades go with which razors. I currently have 4 razors including a Goodwill in pretty good shape that I bought for myself for Christmas. It hasn't been used yet (by me) but I'm looking forward to it.

I wanted to see what anyone thought of this. I have a lot of soaps and aftershaves and feel like I do have an addiction in this regard.

However, I have not had the desire though to go wild with different DE razors. I have a Muhle r89 Grande. That's all I have and I feel like I'm good with it. I see so many people on here with a wild collection of all of the above and I feel like maybe I am missing something?
The only thing you would be missing is the money in your pocket. It's fun using different types of razors, this is a hobby for many of us after all, but if you are happy with what you have you aren't missing out on anything. You are, though, saving money by not having RAD.

Good luck.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

R89 is a fine and safe choice and its probably what many start with, I started with that and similar spec Merkur's.

Absolutely no need to go mental but it would be worth keeping an eye out to see if there is anything that you come across an fancy trying as they all are built differently and have their own shaving characteristics. The only thing I would say is, just be sure you do not buy a razor with a different name but exactly the same shave head as that's pointless.

I certainly do not have a large collection myself in comparison to many members but being on the forum, sharing experiences does open your eyes a bit and its worth trying a couple of different razors, as there may be something more suited to you that you will like (and this doesn't have to be expensive). A bit like don't marry the first lady you date... :001_tt1: (but if you do and you're happy then that's all good too).

I've picked out a few across the scale and price over time;

Muhle R89 (£26)
Parker 91R (£21)
ATT Calypso R1 > ATT H1 (£97)
Muhle Rocca R96 (£75)
Muhle R41 (£45)

Having read the threads, I'm going to get a Fatip but, only because it gets good praise, its £20, should perform well and therefore see enough use to warrant the punt.

I use one brush and one type of soap. They’re fine for me, and I have no desire to change.

I experiment with razors and blades, but brushes are just a tool for me, and I’ve found an effective, low-fragrance soap, so that’s a solved problem too.

If you find something you like, stick with it.

I use one brush and one type of soap. They’re fine for me, and I have no desire to change.

I experiment with razors and blades, but brushes are just a tool for me, and I’ve found an effective, low-fragrance soap, so that’s a solved problem too.

+1

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm a half-hearted minimalist.

4 DE, 2 SE, 1 straight, one shavette. I mainly just use one DE though.

One brush in the bathroom, one in the travel washbag, and a spare in the drawer. Perfect.

Three soaps in the bathroom. A part used shavestick, the main soap, and a part used one on top of the old scuttle. Four new soaps plus shavesticks in the drawer. That's too many for me. One in the bathroom, and two in the drawer is my goal.

... and a few hundred DE blades.

I've been exploring different blades, and having fun. However, I prefer not to swap around with soaps and brushes, as I like my lather to be a known quantity in the shave. I mainly use one DE, and the others are for travel or occasional use only.

Walk your own path. What anyone else owns is irrelevant.

I started out very happy with my EJ, only DE I had for years. Got a VDH tto just out of curiosity but that was it. My father told me before he died that he had tossed his Super Speed and Fatboy decades ago. After he died, my Rad began while obtaining those vintage razors. I think getting on the forums to research those vintage Gillettes is what fed my RAD beyond just getting those 2 Gillettes.

The only thing you would be missing is the money in your pocket. It's fun using different types of razors, this is a hobby for many of us after all, but if you are happy with what you have you aren't missing out on anything. You are, though, saving money by not having RAD.

I feel the same way. I wish I stopped at my first or second razor. It's been fun but I could have done without it.

That's a good plan.

If you are happy with what you have, that's great. I am always in search of the perfect razor but right now I wish I had stopped a long time ago.

Brushes? I'm just a guy who can't say no. Soaps, I like a few. But after using plenty of new and vintage razors I fell in love with a nickel plated Schone OC. Sold or gave away the others. Will the infatuation last? We shall see.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Guilty as charged. I've been known to suffer from bouts of RAD. Initially I was half looking for a better shave and half just getting infatuated with nice looking razors. That led me to a bunch of Merkurs and other modern stuff like the EJ. And then I tumbled down the vintage Gillette rabbit hole, which I still haven't found the bottom. Fortunately my condition hasn't progressed to truly catastrophic levels, like hunting for mint condition Toggles in the original case and other unobtanium. I stick to user-grade stuff. But its been nice shaving with different hardware, figuring out what I like and what I don't. I also learned that alot of what gets said - like open combs give you a better shave because it lets more lather near the blade or slants are best because they slice - is somewhat true, but mostly not because I can get a great shave with many different razors. I've sold or PIFed a bunch of razors too over the years. I thought I'd pretty much found my Holy Grail with the Red Tip. Then I recently acquired a Ranger Tech. Holy smokes, that Ranger Tech is good - maybe better than the Red Tip. But maybe there's something out there even better. The search goes on.

Well, as regards shave qulity you are not missing something. I started with a modern razor too and it was very fine.

...But then I tried that first vintage razor and was bit hard. As said, not for shave quality but for feel of history, beauty and old style brass based craftsmanship. And also for the fact that I am reusing something superb rather than buying new stuff. And it has simply turned out to be my thing.

Good thing about razors though is that they are not sports cars or Swiss watches.

I am blown away by the fact that a perfect condition beautiful 70 year old razor can be had for less that 100 USD. And then I am blown away again by the feeling I get when shaving with it. Guess that is vintage RAD for ya... :001_tt1:

Last edited:
I use only 2 razors : A super speed and GEM MMOC. 1 brush and 2 soaps + cream.
They works nice, so, I am completely happy :001_cool:

I don’t think you’re really missing much if you’re enjoying your shaves. I set out wanting to try a few of the more obvious vintage razors (Old Type, New, Slim) but found I loved the nostalgia/history aspect of shaving with old gear and went a little crazy so I now have around 52 razors I think. And I still don’t have a New Deluxe or a hybrid Tech...the number of ‘key models’ you feel you ought to try seems to keep expanding once you start accumulating vintage razors. But like tankerjohn, I’ve managed to avoid going completely crazy and looking for mint examples of rare razors and I only have a handful of inexpensive modern ones. However, I was crazy enough at one point to start selecting period-correct background music for my shaves....like Frank Sinatra when using a 50s Superspeed and 1920s dance music when using an NDC Old Type!

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to sell any of my razors because I’m the type of person that has immediate buyer’s remorse as soon as I let something go but there’s no way I need this many razors. I think 5 or 6 would be a more sensible place to stop but which 5 or 6? That’s the problem!

Top Bottom