What's new

Which TV/Youtube cooking personalities do you like, which ones do you loathe

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I had forgotten about the Galloping Gourmet, Graham Kerr. Probably my awakening that everything DID NOT have to be cooked in lard.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
TexLaw, can you expand on that a bit? Why like a "timeshare pitch"?

That was a poor choice of words but the best that came to mind at the time. It's not so much as a sales pitch as it is like those bad, daytime TV cooking segments with a lot of fake enthusiasm--a lot of "ooo!"s and "AH!"s as if everyone were pumped up with coffee and sugar. Both Julia and Bridget were terrible about that when they first took over the hosting role. When I really think about it, just about everyone was, even the relatively sober (but always entertaining) Jack. Bridget and the others have settled in or back down, thankfully, and they all have a much more natural presence on screen, but Julia most certainly has not. I love it when Julia cooks, mind you--she rocks--but her hosting presence leaves much to be desired and does not seem to be improving.

I haven't really thought about whether the dishes on ATK or Cook's Country have improved, as I always liked what they did in the first place. The magazines always have been more adventurous than the TV shows.

With Milk Street [Christopher Kimball] seems to have necessarily taken a turn toward restaurant fare and spicy foods

"Necessarily" is a good way to put it, because his parochial attitude and aversion to spicy foods had become tiresome. I am glad to see him drop at least some of the curmudgeonly attitude. I wouldn't call the Milk Street recipes "restaurant fare," though. It's still home cooking. It's just not the classic, white American home.

Which brings up the Frugal Gourmet. That was a great show and well-produced. He had so much enthusiasm.

That was a poor choice of words but the best that came to mind at the time. It's not so much as a sales pitch as it is like those bad, daytime TV cooking segments with a lot of fake enthusiasm--a lot of "ooo!"s and "AH!"s as if everyone were pumped up with coffee and sugar. Both Julia and Bridget were terrible about that when they first took over the hosting role. When I really think about it, just about everyone was, even the relatively sober (but always entertaining) Jack. Bridget and the others have settled in or back down, thankfully, and they all have a much more natural presence on screen, but Julia most certainly has not. I love it when Julia cooks, mind you--she rocks--but her hosting presence leaves much to be desired and does not seem to be improving.

I haven't really thought about whether the dishes on ATK or Cook's Country have improved, as I always liked what they did in the first place. The magazines always have been more adventurous than the TV shows.

"Necessarily" is a good way to put it, because his parochial attitude and aversion to spicy foods had become tiresome. I am glad to see him drop at least some of the curmudgeonly attitude. I wouldn't call the Milk Street recipes "restaurant fare," though. It's still home cooking. It's just not the classic, white American home.

I understand now, and I think we are on exactly the same page. I think you are saying the new ATK hosts were too enthusiastic at first. That is a contrast with C Kimball himself. I like Dan Souza, the younger guy on ATK, a lot. Seems to have a nice presence.

<I wouldn't call the Milk Street recipes "restaurant fare," though. It's still home cooking. It's just not the classic, white American home.>

Yeah I thought about that when I wrote "restaurant fare." It is restaurant fare in the sense that it is what is served in various ethic restaurants in the States, if at all. But it is not cuisine so complicated or difficult that only a restaurant could do an adequate job of preparing it with it. It did seem like an odd switch in tastes by Kimball. The first MS magazine, as I recall, featured Thai food, which is about as spicy and exotic a cuisine as there is. He did seem to genuinely love it though--as I do!!--and the articles were based on his actual trip to Thailand.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I like Dan Souza, the younger guy on ATK, a lot.

Me, too. He's clever and genuine. I actually got to meet him and Christopher Kimball when they came through town for an ATK roadshow a few years back (not too long before Kimball left). The show was terrific, and both men were very nice.

Man, they are TALL, too! Holy smoke! TALL!!!

Souza now is Editor-in-Chief of Cook's Illustrated.

Good to know. Kimball has a adopted an interesting persona for a guy who grew up in Westchester County, and went to Phillips Exeter and then Columbia, although his degree is in primitive art. I never knew what to think of his litigation with ATK. Sounds like there is blame to be placed on both sides, but I do not like the idea that someone would try to prevent Kimball from competing with ATK altogether. That is not to my benefit as a consumer. Kimball claims to have never signed a non-compete agreement with ATK. The fact that ATK would even attempt to get one of their employees to sign such an agreement rubs me the wrong way. I think a family owns ATK. Let someone from the owners step up and be the man in the arena.

He has been married three times and has been in litigation with his second wife and mother of four of his five kids. His third wife was the executive producer of ATK. I am guessing I might not want to be in business with or married to him, but I could say that about a lot of folks. He does seem personable.

He seems to have accumulated quite a bit of money through ATK, unless he simply inherited a lot. I do not begrudge him that. A cooking magazine and a cooking show seem like a hard way to try to accumulate a fortune.

Cool that he loves Vermont. I sure do. I guess his family had a vacation property there when he was growing up. But I do not think my wife's family would consider him a true Vermonter, and they care about such things up there!

I wonder if he tried to take Souza with him to Milk Street.

Which brings up the Frugal Gourmet. That was a great show and well-produced. He had so much enthusiasm.

I forgot about him. And I have a couple of his cookbooks. I remember well the one rule I learned from him: “never pick up a hot pan without knowing where you plan to set it down.” Or something like that. It has saved more than one meal and my fingers a number of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Jacques Pèpin and Lidia Bastianich (Lidia’s Kitchen). No screaming like on the Food Network.

Dislike: with the exception of Ina Garten, just about everyone on Food Network.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
41E28E2A-DCF1-4208-8ED0-79BBBB080D87.jpeg
I agree with most of what everyone already has said. One person I very much enjoy but who has not been mentioned is Lidia Bastianich. She has that same honesty vibe you feel from Julia Child and Jacques Pepin, two of my other favorites. I want to cook nearly everything she does on her show.

Likewise, I loved the Two Fat Ladies for much of the same reasons, and I missed that show enough that I asked for (and received) all the episodes on DVD for a Christmas gift some years ago.

No one has mentioned Nigella Lawson? O, be still, my heart. You fellows can keep your Giada.

Rachel Ray, Guy Fieri, and Bobby Flay all are folks that I could do without. I shed no tear for Paula Deen when she had her downfall. I got worn out on Emeril pretty quickly after he went to that hour long nightmare of a show. I sometimes hear that Gordon Ramsey is not the giant jerk that he often portrays, but I don't care. I have better things to do than watch him.

I do like Christopher Kimball, and ATK/Cook's Country now feels more like a timeshare pitch than a cooking show since he left. The magazines still are good, but the shows are starting to get on my nerves. Milk Street is good and is finding its stride.

I adored Good Eats, and I'm enjoying the "Reloaded" episodes, but I've not liked the other shows that Alton Brown has done.

I go back and forth on Jamie Oliver and Anthony Bourdain. I always enjoyed Bourdain's shows, and I even went to see him speak one time. He did some great stuff, but he got that "I'm cooler than you are" attitude just often enough that I had to push him aside from time to time. It's been the same way with Jamie Oliver and his tendency to get preachy.

I see what folks are talking about Sara Moulton being condescending, but she always has had a place in my heart since the beginning of the Food Network, and I really like how she and Christopher Kimball work together on the call-in portion of the Milk Street podcast/radio show.

Every time I watch Ina Garten I wonder why I don't watch her more often. I like her style.

I always got a kick out of Graham Kerr and his honest enthusiasm. I never understood why, but I never got tired of Martin Yan, despite him getting pretty over the top at times. I sometimes had to turn off Justin Wilson when he got too far into the Cajun caricature, but I otherwise enjoyed his shows. I loved what Paul Prudhomme might cook on his show, but watching that show was like watching paint dry.

Anthony Zimmern has done great stuff, and I would like to see more than just taking bits and pieces of old shows and putting them together for something "new."

James Barber, The Urban Peasant, out of Canada, was da man! Loved him, loved the show. Honestly, not a great chef, but a sweet guy who encouraged viewers to just cut up a couple onions, pour a glass of cheap wine, and cook!

RIP, James.

Top Bottom