What's new

First SR shave

Free Shave Day:

Gear: RR Hawk (v1), Feather Pro blade (2), RR Big Bruce synth, SS Citrus & Bay soap, generic witch hazel, and Old Spice AS to close!

Today’s results ended up being good, though I thought I was missing a lot during the shave itself.

Shave conditions were pretty decent today. Lather was nice, probably could have added a touch more water. Blade felt fine, something about the Hawk seems to tame the sharpness quite a bit; it felt more like a DE today. A little bit of excessive clean up in some of the more difficult spots. Still, a closer shave and technique seems to be improving.

Off to work in a bit to prepare the grounds for services tomorrow. Only a couple of events happening today.

Later this evening, I’ll get to come home, hang out with the family, and perhaps get started on my next bible study teaching for this coming Thursday with the elders. Luke 22:47-71!

Hope everyone’s Saturday is off to a great start!

Free Shave Day:

Gear: RR Game Changer .68, Astra SP blade (1), RR Big Bruce synth, CBL/GD Puke soap, generic witch hazel, Fine Platinum AS, and Fine Platinum EdT to close!

Very nice Sunday morning shave!

Everything was highly enjoyable this morning, from the GC w/fresh Astra to the elite Puke lather, and crisp Platinum finish. Cut my hair last night, so I’m pretty cleaned up for the time being.

Last night a nice, thick fog rolled in at about 10pm and has stuck around. It’s chilly today, might possibly rain, but I hope to still be able to get my chores done
after services.

Update on the fatherly parental unit: I told me yesterday that he finally got his first shave in! He said it was very enjoyable (used the Wickham 1912 and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum). He got through 2 passes (WTG and XTG) with only one small nick and no irritation. Loved the Bootlegger’s scent! Great, successful first attempt.

Have a great Sunday all!

Free Shave:

Gear: RR Hawk (v1) SE, Feather Pro blade (3), RR Big Bruce synth, Williams soap (modern; as preshave), DRH Sandalwood soap, generic witch hazel, and Skin Bracer AS to finish!

Video is uploaded!

Free Shave:

Gear: RR Hawk (v1) SE, Feather Pro blade (4), RR Big Bruce synth, Williams soap (modern; as preshave), Proraso Red soap, generic witch hazel, and Proraso Red AS to finish!

Continued the sandalwood theme today with a very nice shave using Proraso Red. Shave was pretty smooth overall, though perhaps not as close as yesterday’s. That was a bit surprising given my full prep today and the fact that the shave felt better. The Feather Pro feels like it’s still nice and smooth so far, but still too early to confirm if flipping the blade each shave is actually doing anything.

I think I’ll continue till Saturday with SE only shaves, then bring back in the Feather with mixed DE/SE finishes. It’s just about time to throw myself some curveballs with an open blade only shave here and there; it’s been a while.

Back to work today! Christmas concerts begin Friday evening running through Sunday evening. Unfortunately that means no early closings for me this weekend, I’ll likely be cleaning up until 11ish or midnight instead. Today should be OK, but the week will get progressively busier.

Everyone in the family is anxiously awaiting Christmas break.

Happy Tuesday all!

Free Shave:

Gear: RR Hawk (v1) SE, Feather Pro blade (5), RR Big Bruce synth, Williams soap (modern; as preshave), Cella soap, generic witch hazel, and Myrsol K Formula AS to finish!

Just a quick entry today before I head to work. Decent shave today, a little bit of irritation on the corners of the mustache area from losing the angle and pushing the shave. It was definitely all me. I did put the Hawk back on its original handle after 2 shaves on the stainless handle. Tomorrow I’ll retry El “Guapo” Jefe.

Still lots to do on my teaching, but it’ll be ready for tomorrow!

Happy Wednesday!

Free Shave Day:

Gear: El “Guapo” Jefe SE, Feather Pro blade (6), RR Big Bruce synth, CBL Barbershop soap, generic witch hazel, and Stirling Barbershop AS to finish!

Another quick entry today as I head out the door to go do my teaching at church.

Switched back to El Guapo for more comparison to the Hawk v1. El Guapo is definitely more efficient but definitely has more blade feel. My feeling now is that El Guapo and the Hawk actually can be fairly evenly match in smoothness, Guapo if you ride the cap and the Hawk as a function of its mildness. Really both great razors. Very interested to see how a Hawk v2 (with a rounded cap) stacks up.

Today begins the busy-ness!

Blessings on you all this fine Thursday!

Free Shave Day:

Gear: El “Guapo” Jefe SE, Feather Pro blade (7), RR Big Bruce synth, SS Citrus & Bay soap, generic witch hazel, and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum AS to finish!

Blade flipped and another good AC SE shave today with El Guapo.

Was feeling in need of a warming scent and craving the bay rum, so the Citrus & Bay got picked up. Definitely did not disappoint today! Nice, thick and creamy lather. No nicks or cuts today. My BBS on the cheeks yesterday lasted around 10 hours, looks like today will be similar.

Tomorrow will be back to the Hawk for a shave, then easing back into a regular razor rotation.

Tonight is the first night of the Christmas Concerts. I won’t get to see much of it this year and most of the extended family is going tomorrow night, when I’m working. I did get to see some of the rehearsal last night though. A wonderful way to usher in Christmas spirit as always! Here’s a photo from yesterday for any who didn’t see:

My invitation stands for any who who might be in the area this weekend and want in. Best to get in the stand by line early, for those who don’t have tickets, but it “sells out” (it’s free, tickets just count seats filled) every year and we have never had to turn anyone away yet! Fremont Presbyterian in Sacramento, CA. Starts at 7pm, cookie and cider reception after.

Have a great Friday all!

Attachments

• D5D4618A-C934-4EE0-96C3-3D913ADDBD93.jpeg
    D5D4618A-C934-4EE0-96C3-3D913ADDBD93.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Free Shave Day:

Gear: RR Hawk v1 SE, Feather Pro blade (8; flipped each shave), Yaqi SF synth, Scheermonnik Delfts Wit soap, generic witch hazel, Lucky Tiger AS, and Paul Sebastian AS to finish!

Not much to cut off today after the El Jefe shave yesterday, but I will have my daily ritual! I especially wanted to give my new Yaqi SF brush it’s first outing.

Comparison between my normal synth (RR Big Bruce) and the Yaqi SF:

9B0EAC7B-67F9-4E11-B236-7F335F1F9B8B.jpeg
0D96A4F7-2B8C-47F4-A640-FA820EF6AF36.jpeg

As can can be seen, quite a big difference in loft and knot size. The BB is a 26mm and the Yaqi a 24mm I believe. This brush is have to rate as on par with my BB, they are both good, but in their own ways. The SF’s shorter loft gives it a bit more backbone than the BB but is not uncomfortable. I did what I judged to be a normal load (as I would with the BB) and came up with just enough for 3 passes or two with a lather soak, the latter what I chose to do today. The Yaqi did lose a couple of hairs but otherwise was nice and soft and very like my beloved BB, though with a little less flop and a little less splay. Lathered up my Delfts Wit like a charm. No lather flinging (I face lather) and just great face feel. I am really looking forward to using this brush more!

C57D6F22-0E68-4963-B9E3-518FEC78C7BA.jpeg

Bonus entry:

Gear: Gillette Slim, Astra SP blade, RR Big Bruce Synth, and Catie’s Bubbles La Rose du Mechant.

Shaved the missus legs this morning! A first ever (me doing it)! She wanted to see if I was capable after her surgery. Only a couple nicks from her razor bumps (shhh I didn’t say that!). She said I dun good though!

Free Shave Day:

Gear: Gillette Slim (setting 2), Astra SP blade (? shaves), Yaqi SF synth, Elite Puke Puck soap (CBL & GD soap mix), generic witch hazel, Fine Platinum AS, and Fine Platinum EdT to close!

Dead tired after the big push to finish strong post concert last night and an early wake up, but we got er dun!

A quick, BBS shave from the Slim for John’s B-Day. Chaplain on duty for services today. Chores later if it doesn’t rain. And I finally get to go watch the concert in full tonight! Should be a good day with family.

Happy Sunday all!

Video is up!

Glad to hear your enjoying the Yaqi. It shouldn't lose bristles for more than a week (if that long.) If happens longer I would return because they didn't bond correctly. Lather flinging normally occurs if you try leaving as much water as with badgers and boars. If you add your water while lathering it isn't ever a problem.

Glad to hear your enjoying the Yaqi. It shouldn't lose bristles for more than a week (if that long.) If happens longer I would return because they didn't bond correctly. Lather flinging normally occurs if you try leaving as much water as with badgers and boars. If you add your water while lathering it isn't ever a problem.

Thanks Clay! Yes, having used my Big Bruce for a good while now adding water slowly and working it in little by little has become the norm for me. Having the Yaqi added to my small brush collection has just further cemented my love of a good synth.

Thanks Clay! Yes, having used my Big Bruce for a good while now adding water slowly and working it in little by little has become the norm for me. Having the Yaqi added to my small brush collection has just further cemented my love of a good synth.

I love my boars :) My first experience with a synthetic was much like someone running into a dribble glass with rabies :) , but I adjusted quickly and do appreciate synthetics for traveling.

I love my boars :) My first experience with a synthetic was much like someone running into a dribble glass with rabies :) , but I adjusted quickly and do appreciate synthetics for traveling.

I’ve got two boars, both Omega knots of varied size, very comfortable. Still amazes me how such soft hairs can come from such a bristly animal!

Open Blade Shave #234:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Feather Pro blade (9), RR Game Changer .68, Astra SP blade (?), Yaqi SF synth, William’s (modern; as preshave), JoHS Turkish Bath (Barbershop), and Barbasol Pacific Rush AS to finish!

Back to the normal set up. The 2 week foray into AC style SEs was quite fun. I will need to figure out how to keep a regular rotation now...

Nice relaxing evening ahead with the family. Video is ready!

As always, if you have questions or comments on technique or otherwise, ask away! I’ll do my best to answer.

Open Blade Shave #235:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Feather Pro blade (10), RR Game Changer .68, Astra SP blade (?), Yaqi SF synth, CBL Oatmeal Stout soap, Lucky Tiger AS, and Ogalalla Bay Rum & Sandalwood AS to finish!

It’s that sad day that comes after all weekends...my Monday. Back to work today! It’s going to be a short week though, just 3 days until the surgery for the missus and 5 day break.

Shave was good! Was craving the CBL OS scent, so I put it all together and matched it up for a nice holiday scented ritual. I was not disappointed in any way! Both blades still performing nicely! Still a bit tentative putting the Feather SS to skin after such a long break, but I’m growing back into it.

The next few days of work will be largely spent hauling nearly everything back to storage that we brought out for the concerts. Of course some of the Advent and Christmas things will stay out until the end of the year. Makes me sore just thinking about it though lol!

Have a happy Tuesday all!

Open Blade Shave #236:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Feather Pro blade (11), RR Game Changer .68, Astra SP blade (?), Yaqi SF synth, SS Citrus & Bay soap, and Bootlegger’s Bay Rum AS to finish!

Not a whole lot to work with this morning. My cheeks were still mostly BBS, just coming into DFS. Everything else was DFS-CCS. Looks like I’ll be repeating that tomorrow too...darn it!

A real shame that Joe is not planning on keeping stock of the .68 GC. I mean I guess the one I have will last just about forever, but still, there’s always a chance something will go wrong...

Continued the holiday-ish theme with a full bay rum shave. Just. So. Good! Not a whole lot of irritation either.

I get to have an early day today. It’ll be mostly putting things in storage and cleaning carpets. Easy day!

Happy Wednesday all!

Free Shave Day:

Gear: RR Game Changer .68, Astra SP blade (?), Yaqi SF synth, Cella soap, and CC Venture AS to finish!

Up a tad early today. Had to shower and shave, then be out the door for my middle son’s classroom play/musical on geology.

Opted for just a 2 pass shave with the GC since time was of the essence. Continued my “festive” shave streak with the ever scrumptious Cella, putting the finishing touches with a bit of moisturizer and the subtle but equally delightful Venture AS.

Today’s work shift, later, will cap my 3 day work week.

The missus has to be at the op center quite early tomorrow however and the kids to school, so no late night otherwise or sleeping in! I’ll probably have to squeeze my shave in sometime in the late morning, The the operation is completed and we’re released (it’s amazing what counts as out patient surgery these days).

Have a great Thursday all!

Open Blade Shave #237:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Feather Pro blade (12), RR Game Changer .68, Astra SP blade (?), Yaqi SF synth, CBL 50 Shades of Vetiver soap, generic witch hazel, Speick AS, and Fine Clean Vetiver AS to finish!

Good, albeit super early, shave today. Just dropped the missus off at the surgery center to get checked in and have her pre-op stuff done. Got the shave in and now am going to get the kids moving for school. Then I’ll head back to the center for the wait.

Whatever the mystery count was on this Astra, it’s run it’s course. The final pass and cleanup was a little rough, no irritation or blood loss though. This Feather Pro may follow suit soon, the XTG on the lip felt a little rough. That was all easily erased however, whatever irritation may have been present, with a layer of witch hazel and Speick. I’m awake now and ready for the day...off of 4 hours sleep.

Funny side note, I woke up at about 2:30 this morning thinking my alarm clock had gone off and it was time to get up. I struggled to stay awake for about 5 minutes until I checked the clock and saw the actual time. I was back to sleep in seconds.

Happy Friday all! Safe travels if you’re heading out early for the holiday!

Open Blade Shave #238:

Gear: Feather AC SS, Feather Pro blade (13), RR Game Changer .68, Personna Platinum blade (1), Yaqi SF synth, CBL Barbershop soap, generic witch hazel, Speick AS, and Ferragamo Uomo frag to finish!

Wanted to get right on with testing the frag samples, of course, so I went with a good set up, but one that would allow the frags to speak without too much interference.

Today’s shower felt great. It was a very long day yesterday. After cleaning up, I used CBL Barbershop (excellent spicy/dark scent) with the wonderful Speick juice to cap the shave itself. Great refreshing regimen with 100% BBS. I tried (I think) Personna reds for the first time today. A bit harsh the first use, but I think they’ll smooth out quickly.

Now on to the Uomo! Each sample conveniently comes in a little glass spray tube. The Uomo begins with a pungent little burst, nearly perfumish, but dries down very quickly. At the start it is slightly green, with darker/earthy undertones, very bright though overall. A kind of vanilla-ish scent comes to the forefront after a few minutes and that is the main note through the rest of its stages. It’s not exactly vanilla (which is not a listed scent note) but I think might be a combo of the base notes (Cashmere wood, sandalwood, and tonka bean) with the muted sweetness of the tiramisu note. I don’t feel the other notes really come out to play or are well mixed in. Overall Uomo is, I feel, quite a unisex fragrance; the scent is pleasant but not “wow” for me. I don’t feel that is necessarily delivers on it’s description promises (gourmand and rich woods). Not a purchase, but nice to have experienced.

The missus and I are both still pretty pooped, feeling pretty off still. She is resting a lot, but thankfully not too uncomfortable yet. She has to sleep sitting up in our one comfy armchair, so I’ve commandeered the nearby couch. The kids are starting the Christmas festivities early, they’ve been with the grandparents since yesterday and will stay through next week. We did go out for a walk this morning for some air and blood flow. We’ve also been watching some British Baking show and The Iron Fist.

Happy Saturday all!

Top Bottom